[Cars][Garage Mechanic] I gotta wait a week for a new carburator diaphragm :[

retribution

Veteran X
I've got an old Triumph TR6, 1974, and I was finishing a tune-up this afternoon. Normal shit, plugs points condenser (it was pretty bad, actually, the timing was about ten degrees off what it should have been at idle), and I started adjusting the mixture because it was running awfully rich. Unfortunately, however, I yanked too hard on the special mixing tool (basically a long allen wrench to reach into the old Stromberg carburators without ripping 'em apart) and broke the diaphragm that holds the piston into place, so its borked until I can get a new one. Its a ten-minute repair, but now I have to wait a week to get it running again. This has been the worst tune-up experience ever, all told, as it has cost me two distributor rotors, a distributor cap, a timing light (mine broke, had to get a new one), a new hood-release cable (broke yesterday when I started), and now this diaphragm. :[

No can do, already looked into it. Best I'll be able to manage is some SU carbs or maybe Webers, but they're fuckin' expensive

i didn't put rims on my current car

and i do not believe anyone would accept me here for doing so

p.s. you drive/own (lol) a tr6 and are calling my sts "shitty"

If that's your worst tune up experience, you're not trying hard enough. I once broke a sparkplug off in the rear bank of a Beretta.

The Weber conversion is actually pretty easy, get a used Weber, the intake manifold, and a carb rebuild kit. they are a snap to rebuild.

Have you looked at Victoria British yet?
I have 2 TR7's, and a Spitfire. These guys are awesome.

catalog pages 68 & 69
0068.jpg

0069.jpg

Last edited:
Back