Car hiccups

MolimOrion

Veteran XV
99 Honda Accord V-6 3.0 Automatic

The issue seems to occur usually when the engine is cold. It only happens at low speeds.

Specifically, when accelerating from a stop, if you let off the gas pedal when going between 15-30mph, the car hiccups (or kerplunks, it sounds damaging), then proceeds to shift to the next gear.

If you keep the gas flow steady during 15-30mph, and the car shifts, it shifts smoothly with no hiccup.

Is this probably a fuel injection issue ? EVAP system issue ? Transmission ? Timing ? Trying to just narrow down the issue.

It has really been doing it for years, and I used to believe it started after I got the recommended timing/water pump stuff done at 105K miles, which was 25K miles ago. Not so sure if it wasn't doing it before though.

This happens only in town. The best example would be driving on a level road, accelerating, and when the car is at around 20mph, I see the light change red ahead, so I let off the gas. The car was on the way to shifting to the next gear though, and it shakes like hell before it does the shift a second or two later.

Any ideas ? Also what is a better google search term than "hiccup", "kerplunk", and "shakes like hell and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart" ?

ossible Causes of Engine Hesitation or Stumble:

Dirty fuel injectors (cleaning the injectors often fixes this).
Bad MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Bad TPS (throttle position) sensor
Bad or dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor
Low fuel pressure (leaky fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel pump)
Vacuum leaks (intake manifold, vacuum hoses, throttle body, EGR valve)
Bad gasoline (fuel contaminated with water or too much alcohol)

Sometimes, what feels like a hesitation is actually ignition misfire rather than lean misfire. The causes of ignition misfire may include:

Had same issue with jeep....Changed plugs and wires...made sure gap in plugs was right this time ...all good.

Dirty or worn spark plugs
Bad plug wires
Weak ignition coil
Wet plug wires

ossible Causes of Engine Hesitation or Stumble:

Dirty fuel injectors (cleaning the injectors often fixes this).
Bad MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Bad TPS (throttle position) sensor
Bad or dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor
Low fuel pressure (leaky fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel pump)
Vacuum leaks (intake manifold, vacuum hoses, throttle body, EGR valve)
Bad gasoline (fuel contaminated with water or too much alcohol)

Sometimes, what feels like a hesitation is actually ignition misfire rather than lean misfire. The causes of ignition misfire may include:

Had same issue with jeep....Changed plugs and wires...made sure gap in plugs was right this time ...all good.

Dirty or worn spark plugs
Bad plug wires
Weak ignition coil
Wet plug wires

Is that in the order you would start checking/replacing stuff too ?

I was just doing some reading and was wondering if I should clean the throttle body first using these instructions:

How to Clean a Honda Throttle Body | eHow.com

Usually letting off the throttle will trigger an upshift in an auto trans. Some auto trans (most these days) also lock up the torque converted in higher gears (3/4).

So, it could be the clutch bit that locks the converter is failing to engage properly and is chattering?

Back