Can't Install Winamp OR Foobar

MistaKe

Veteran X
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've never had a problem with Winamp in the past and I just downloaded foobar to see if I'd be able to get that to work and as my luck would have it, it's the same exact error. The error messages look like this:

nowork1fc2.jpg
nowork2qq8.jpg

I'm attempting to install the latest versions of both. I went back and tried to install the previous version of Winamp with no luck and the same error. Like I said before, never had problems in the past and I need one to work to get some songs on my iPod.

On a similar note, I tired to get iTunes to work as well, for anyone who is going to list that as an alternative, and something weird happened there too. I get 3/4 of the way through the install and I get an error message that says I don't have services enabled or I don't have the ability and right to run this program or something.

Basically I have no way to listen to music and no way to get music on my new iPod. Please, please, please someone help. Thanks in advance.

What the fucking fuck, just tired to grab Songbird (although I've heard 50/50 reviews on it), just to see if it'd be any different and no, same shit, different program.

What the fuck is wrong with my PC all of a sudden?

This can happen if another instance of a media player/other program is using the file, or you're using a user account that has limited access.

Vista can do some weird stuff with UAC, too.

Thanks for the reply man.

Currently, I have no other media player installed besides Windows Media Player and I'm the only user on the computer. Should I get rid of that as well? I'm not too sure what other program could be using the file, either.

I don't use Vista - still on XP Pro.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
Clear out your "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp" also make sure that directory isn't encrypted.

Clear out your "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp" also make sure that directory isn't encrypted.

Thanks for the reply.

I probably should of put this disclaimer in my original post but it slipped my mind at the time: I don't consider myself a computer-wiz or anything. I have a fair amount of knowledge and find myself helping family and friends but in no way have I seen it all.

With that said, the only "Temp" folder I found wasn't in my Documents and Settings but rather in my C:\WINDOWS folder - not sure if that's what I'm looking for or if I should be touching things in there. Other than that, I'm not quiet sure how to tell if something is encrypted or not, and what effect(s) it would have.

Either way, thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.

I probably should of put this disclaimer in my original post but it slipped my mind at the time: I don't consider myself a computer-wiz or anything. I have a fair amount of knowledge and find myself helping family and friends but in no way have I seen it all.

With that said, the only "Temp" folder I found wasn't in my Documents and Settings but rather in my C:\WINDOWS folder - not sure if that's what I'm looking for or if I should be touching things in there. Other than that, I'm not quiet sure how to tell if something is encrypted or not, and what effect(s) it would have.

Either way, thanks again.

You're view settings are set to hide certain files and folders. This is why you can't see the directory I want you to empty out. Here's how to see it: How to see hidden files in Windows

Delete everything in that temp folder. Since you had your view settings the way they are then you don't have encryption enabled so ignore that. Just delete the stuff in the folder and then try to re-install winamp.

You're view settings are set to hide certain files and folders. This is why you can't see the directory I want you to empty out. Here's how to see it: How to see hidden files in Windows

Delete everything in that temp folder. Since you had your view settings the way they are then you don't have encryption enabled so ignore that. Just delete the stuff in the folder and then try to re-install winamp.

Thanks for the re-explanation and the tutorial, ZOD.

Did everything without a problem except for removing the "NAILogs" folder within my "Temp" folder. It keeps telling me that another person or user is still using it, which is me I suppose. Not sure if that folder actually contains something that needs to be deleted or not.

I tried to install (reinstall) Winamp knowing that the "NAILogs" folder was still there and I received the same error.

Thanks for the re-explanation and the tutorial, ZOD.

Did everything without a problem except for removing the "NAILogs" folder within my "Temp" folder. It keeps telling me that another person or user is still using it, which is me I suppose. Not sure if that folder actually contains something that needs to be deleted or not.

I tried to install (reinstall) Winamp knowing that the "NAILogs" folder was still there and I received the same error.

That NAILogs is in use by something so you won't be able to delete it, this is normal.

Is your user a member of the administrator group?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Right Click on YourUserName and select Properties then click the Member Of tab at the top and see if Administrators is listed.

Also, defrag and check your drive for errors.

That NAILogs is in use by something so you won't be able to delete it, this is normal.

Is your user a member of the administrator group?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Right Click on YourUserName and select Properties then click the Member Of tab at the top and see if Administrators is listed.

Also, defrag and check your drive for errors.

I'm listed as an Administrator.

I guess a defrag is next and if that doesn't work I guess I'll reformat. I was really looking to avoid this but not sure what other alternatives are out there or what could be causing this.

Have you tried to install something unrelated? Try installing a game or some small app like hott notes - the free desktop sticky notes

I downloaded hottnotes. Basically it looks like it installs fine and I don't receive any of those error messages but something else happens. It says it installs fine, and appears to have installed without error, then I go to click on what would be the icon on my desktop to only be told it's trying to locate the .exe or whatever.

I head over to Add/Remove Programs and try to uninstall. I'm then told that it's already been uninstalled - really weird. Really frustrating.

Hmm, I was thinking it could be McAfee, because it protects against "Unwanted Programs". I opened it up out of curiosity and clicked that tab and found it protected against the obvious stuff, i.e. spyware, key loggers, etc. I don't think that would be giving me those weird errors, though.

Last edited:
SiteAdvisor in McAfee creates this issue with many apps/software so if SiteAdvisor is installed as part of a McAfee software package such as McAfee Internet Security Suite, you can selectively remove just the SiteAdvisor component using the McAfee uninstaller, e.g., via Windows Add/Remove programs....

Let us know how it goes, thanks..

SiteAdvisor in McAfee creates this issue with many apps/software so if SiteAdvisor is installed as part of a McAfee software package such as McAfee Internet Security Suite, you can selectively remove just the SiteAdvisor component using the McAfee uninstaller, e.g., via Windows Add/Remove programs....

Let us know how it goes, thanks..

Hmm, I don't believe SiteAdvisor is installed as I couldn't find it within McAfee or on my Add/Remove Programs list. Here's what I was looking at:

mcafeeconsolesm5.jpg

addremovemcafeeiv5.jpg

That's the only McAfee or McAfee-related program on my list.

Site Advisor would be a toolbar thingie, up by your google search bar or whatever you have... If you would have installed the full suite and choosing custonm install, then it would have been one you would have de-selected...

Back