canon rebel xti vs. nikon d40

I like canons interface better.
So I use it.

Body performance wise they'd be about the same.
I'm pretty sure it comes down to which lenses you want to use.

I had this decision to make. I went with the D80. I compared the two and the XTi compares favorably but falls apart with some key issues like metering etc., the D40 is pretty well outclassed here despite having a few minor advantages.

However, the D80 incorporates everything good about the D40 along with all of the XTi's bell's and whistles like 12 point focus (as opposed 3 for the D40 and 9 for the XTi iirc) and some other neat features in addition to also just feeling better in the hand.

Or trust CNET CNET Prizefight: Nikon D80 vs. Canon EOS Rebel XTi - CNET reviews

I went through this about 6-8 months ago, same comparison. I went with the D40, I forget the compelling reason why though :)

whatever you do, don't take those gay close up photos of your 1950's jukebox/flowers/xylophone that everyone floods their flickr account with

whatever you do, don't take those gay close up photos of your 1950's jukebox/flowers/xylophone that everyone floods their flickr account with

im going to take it to antique conventions and auto shows and take close up, blurry pictures of headlights, sewing machines, and wooden wagon wheels.

thanks for the input guys

If you decide Nikon, get a used D70s. It has the superior meter of the D200 and it can take regular AF lenses (you will thank me when you purchase the really really sharp and awesome $100 50mm f/1.8D). At also has two more auto focus sensors.

Back