calling all tech savvy TWers

|aYg.Leone*|

Special User Title
Veteran X
TW is in the know, and up to date on what is what so here is what i am hoping to find out information about...

So, I fly the OH-58d... small cockpit. amongst the manuals and checklists we carry up front with us, is a knee-board, which i usually wear on my right leg. i am about 6'3" and it gets in the way all the time, not to mention that i am forced to limit what i have at my finger tips to 5 or 6 pages of info.

what i am looking for is some sort of PDA that i could have some local korean sewing lady fashion into a leg strap of sorts that would be able to hold all of our approach plates and things of that size that are given out digitally to all the pilots anyways... i would also like to put my checklist and operators manual onto it, i have them both in PDF format.

it would have to be somewhat rugged and weather proof, we fly with doors off 95% of the time. i dont really know where to start looking for something like that, and assume that my local best buy will not have a pda to fit my needs... anyone have any suggestions?

cliffs...
1. pilot
2. in need of gizmo
3. ?
4. profit

Uh, Short of a tiny ebook reader... You aren't really going to find what you want that will work as well as paper.

And wait... You fly a Kiowa?!?

I would like a ride in a Kiowa.
They look fun.
Except when they are looking for enemy armor.
That wouldn't be fun.
Also, it is gay that they are being retired. They still get the job done and could be upgraded.

(I don't know anything about PDAs.)

They look fun.
That wouldn't be fun.
Also, it is gay that they are being retired. They still get the job done and could be upgraded.

:psyduck:

They look fun.
That wouldn't be fun.

lol ARH got pushed back to 2012 and they are upgrading 60 OH-58a/c .... the fleet is getting a huge bump.. the KW will be around for a long time

but... stay on target!... PDA!!
stay_on_target.gif

I hadn't heard that. That's good news.

Hopefully they'll decide that the upgrade is enough and that the ARH is a waste of money.

hmmm all my pilot buddies use paper approach plates like you have.

as someone else suggested, you could try an ebook reader type thing (like that amazon kindle that is overpriced and noone that i know of actually buys.) Seems like an ebook reader would be your best bet if all your information is pdf content. No clue how the interface is though.

Last edited:
hmmm all my pilot buddies use paper approach plates like you have.

as someone else suggested, you could try an ebook reader type thing (like that amazon kindle that is overpriced and noone that i know of actually buys.)
Hi, Eggi.

There is a question about aeronautical engineering (re: lift generated by airfoils vs. forward velocity) in the Bush visit thread. Also about choppers. You should go over there.

oh, a hacked nintendo ds would work too (i think) :p You'd have to get all the info on a microsd card though. btw i have no clue where youd get some all weather type setup.

Not sure if this will help in your quest...
Here's a leg pad for $39
navpad.jpg

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/misc.htm

This whole thing sounds kinda fucked up.
1) Batteries
2) Lighting
3) Comfort?
4) Weather
5) Weight
6) Diddling with SD cards USB ports etc etc etc

My guess is that this will not work out well. I thought some of the motorcycle GPSs might be an interesting choice - Zumo 550 or tom tom rider. But, I can't see that either one can open a PDF. Too bad.

Anyway, gl.

Not a PDA, but it could be your PDA's friend:

snakeClip.jpg

THE SNAKE CLIP from Aircraft Spruce

I bought one of these for my Audi TT Roadster which, if you ever drive one, you'll quickly find that if they didn't design a specific place for something to go, there's NO place for it to go.

I use it to hold my iTouch up near the indash radio and within easy reach. Works awesome.

Back