(Cable vision customers) free nfl red zone glitch

dionysus

Veteran X
I recently bought a new HDTV for my bedroom and before I got a cable box I used straight coaxial cable into the tv, and if you have a dtv its channel 68-799 nfl redzone comes in with out a subscription, if I use the cable box it says I need to subscribe. Does this work for anyone else?

Maybe move this to no-members only sub forum

It's not really a secret. Cable companies don't have the bandwidth to serve all channels you can get with a box to all customers all the time. They map channels to different frequencies and your cable box intelligently tunes into the assigned frequency it's given from the addressable units. What you see as channel 800 on a cable box can be different frequencies at different times of day.

Those frequencies = channels on your ATSC tuner equipped television, and the signals are often unencrypted for PPV and OnDemand customer requested viewing. You should get a certain number of channels that don't change frequency, and those are always your local stations and a handful of cable stations. If someone in your segment requests OnDemand programming you'll see their video feed on a high channel, and can even tell when they fast forward or rewind as it's merely their box sending a signal back to the server and the cable company doing the work for them.

It's certainly not going to be the same channel for everyone either. You have a neighbor that's watching NFL RedZone and you can watch it on your TV too if you just do a complete channel scan and flip through the ones it finds.

Back