Cable modem/router combo?

Highfive

Contributor
Veteran XX
Don't want to rent modem anymore and looking to buy a modem/router combo or each individually. What do you niggers recommend?

Just get a fucking Motorola SurfBoard. Recent one. Not from 1820. Then put a decent wireless firewall/router behind it.

Last edited:
Whole house is wired with ethernet. Wifi is hooked up in a room on either end of the house and then there is hookups in the living room and bedrooms and everything. This little modem is great, it takes like 4 seconds to reboot and has been rock solid for the 2 years or so that I have had it.

I am buying a Motorola Surfboard for a cable modem. I'm not sure what router I will be getting though...

Future plans are to drop Cat6a everywhere in the house and build a real network for my house.

routers are going to add a few microseconds of latency.

i don't have any routers, everyhing is wired, no wifi, no bluetooth.

Yeah I second the motorola surfboard, got one a while ago and its been great. Save $5 /mo or something which paid for itself a good long time ago

Make sure to check your bill though, my ISP kept charging me the modem rental fee even after I switched over, canceled and returned the old one. Took multiple calls for them to finally stop billing me

Get a Motorola or Arris docsis 3 modem w/o wifi and get a stand alone decent AC wifi router. Docsis 3 standards force cable companies to lock down the modem and not allow firmware updates unless they push them. Best bet is to split them off.

I am buying a Motorola Surfboard for a cable modem. I'm not sure what router I will be getting though...

Future plans are to drop Cat6a everywhere in the house and build a real network for my house.

I have these for my wifi access points - their designed for corporate use but we had enough issues with signal using cheaper wifi we decided we might as well get something good.

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System UAP-3 (Pack of 3): Computers & Accessories

I haven't had any issues with my wifi or anything wired using this setup.

I have a cisco something and it doesn't have a wifi antenna and the range sucks compared to my old billion router. I cant even stick a big aerial on it as there is no port so now I have to have another unit anyway to do a range extend or some shit.

I'm thinking of just hardwiring everything anyway (TV etc)

I used a really old Surf Board for a while when I got cable in my area, this was like 1998-2000 or so, had the modem for a few years, it died and they got us an upgrade to a DOCSIS 2.0 Surf Board, and I used that fucking thing for like 13-14 years.

It kind of blows my mind that a cable modem can last that long, I never even thought of upgrading it because I'd had it for so long and never had any issues with it. One night though it started to have issues syncing up with my cable provider, something about the frequency ranges they were working with weren't playing nice, too much noise or something.

Replaced it with a DOCSIS 3.0 Surf Board and my speed went from max speed of 3.5-4.5MB/sec when the speed would occassionally jump up to just averaging that speed and then bumping up into the 7-8MB/sec range when it felt like it.

My provider just swapped out my old Arris cable modem for a Hitron CDS3-35. I'm at 500/20 right now, but they promise Gig is coming soon.

My current router is the Asus RT-N66W running tomato, but I'll be upgrading to something AC before too long.

Back