[Buying] MP3 Player, input needed

ThUnda

Veteran XX
Ipod, Zune, Creative Zen

What little i know

Ipod - Everyone has one but heard it's harder to use ripped mp3s vs what you're forced to download via itunes (I'll admit, i'm not a fan of apple)

Zune - DRM... no clue if it's an issue for music/video or both

Zen - Heard very little.

I read a few reviews, wondering if any of them support .flac files or if i'd have to find another lossless format

Yes I realize this will be nothing but a fanboi circle jerk/flame war but, I've been wanting a MP3 player for a long time and the major reason I've held off is because I wanted something I can toss songs on, and it'd play them w/o any difficulty.

P.S. Some of the mp3's in my collection seem a lot louder than others, do any of these do any sort of audio normalization?

Thanks in advance and obligatory Nakedness

Not Work Safe
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/thunda789/011ttt.jpg

Not Work Safe
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/thunda789/05sda.jpg

Not Work Safe
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/thunda789/02u.jpg

i bought my creative zen vision:m a little over a year ago and it's been great, way less problems than when i had an ipod (battery hasn't noticeably decreased, very rare that it glitches up and freezes, very easy loading software, and nice video functionality). i don't know what the current model is, but it's probably just gotten bette.r

I have a Creative Zen Vision:M 60 GB 1st generation. A bit on the fat side but I like the slider control and the ease of copying files (just make sure you have your ID3 tags correct). The only thing I wish it had is gapless playback.

ipod ftw.

i dont download flac so i don't know if it is supported.
itunes is a piece of cake...kinda slow on windows but good on macs.
if you dont like itunes there are plenty of alternatives for loading your songs onto/off the ipod.

Ok, something I just thought of

Do any of these players have the ability of plugging directly into a tv and playing video via a stereo jack to Component video plug in (red/white/red)

would be nice to take tv shows/movies from home over to friends houses w/o having to go through the process of making divx to dvd conversions.

Ok, something I just thought of

Do any of these players have the ability of plugging directly into a tv and playing video via a stereo jack to Component video plug in (red/white/red)

would be nice to take tv shows/movies from home over to friends houses w/o having to go through the process of making divx to dvd conversions.

Creative does
MP3 Players - Zen, MuVo, Digital MP3 Player

I'd imagine there would be a product out for the iPod as well

Ipod touch, my brother got me a iphone after my phone died as a christmas present, and the interface is the same. It's the best mp3 player bar none, the interface is amazing and incredibly easy to use and great looking to boot.

I loved my creative zen, then I lost it when Buckethead randomly came to UC. Damn you Buckethead.

60gig Creative Zen Touch. Never had an major problems with it, had to hit the reset button every now and then though. The battery life was pretty good, but I don't have any other experience with mp3 players to compare it to. I think the common interweb consensus for that aspect of it was above par.

I was made fun of by my buddies cause it looked like a portable tv. That thing was a beast!
Spoiler

Indeed, I asked about MP3 players with a variety of file support, and Cowon seemed to be unanimous. After Christmas, I plan on buying the A2 30GB.

Currently, I'm using an iRiver H10 5GB. It's not bad... seems to have finicky db handling, and a very terrible shuffle (seems to only look at a certain span of songs from before and after the current song in the db, leading to very repetitive playback in shuffle mode). It also has a lot of hang time between files a lot of the time, up to 3 seconds some times. Battery life isn't bad though, I can usually get 10 hours on a full charge.

Last edited:
I just got a zune and love it. The main reasons I bought it were it being cheap as hell, it seemed more reliable than the ipod, I can get radio with it, and I hate the scroll wheel. If you have a lot of money I'd say go for the Zen, if you're looking to keep it on budget go for the Zune. I'm not an ipod hater, but from hearing my friends bitch about them I don't think I'll ever be picking one of those up.

You should expand on the DRM thing though since I can guarantee that if there were protection issues I would have had them. And as far is video out goes I think the only way a Zune can do that is through a 360.

ipods are great. itunes on the other hand is an annoying piece of shit. I guess everythings gotta have a downside right?

Zune DRM and I might be wrong, I never got to try this.

You download a free podcast as a mp3, you "send" it to a friend over wifi. It gets wrapped in the 3days 3plays DRM.

now imagine, you're a budding musician and you want to share some of your own songs.

3 days 3 plays no matter who owns the copyrights.

Microsoft assumes that any music you share is major label music and drm's it

Ipods have no problem playing mp3's that are not bought over Itunes. A lot of my music is downloaded and works fine.

Anyone with a Zune able to test if it can play divx files now that the 360 supports it, that is pretty much the selling point for me seeing what I've read thus far. The one site that listed supported codecs for the 3 players only listed *.wmv, and I want to see some *.avi action before i toss some money down, heh

Back