brushing your teeth in the morning

Brush your teeth before you eat breakfast or after?

• Before Breakfast

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • After Breakfast

Votes: 93 55.4%
  • Depends

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • Brush the teeth?

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters

SkivviS

Veteran X
seems silly to brush before you eat. only time i would do that is if i knew i wasnt eating for a bit and was going to be around a bunch of people.

Brushing BEFORE breakfast would make most breakfast foods taste fucking disgusting (under the assumption you use something that is mint flavoured etc. which I imagined was most products) and also, you'd just get lots of bits of food stuck in your teeth rendering the process pointless... it's like sweaty people who shower before going to bed instead of in the morning for 'convenience' - you're still going to sweat and you're going to smell disgusting the next day.

Who the fuck does that?

It's not the mint flavor in toothpaste that makes stuff taste bad. It's the chemical that makes it foam up

Depends on what's for breakfast. If you brush your teeth after drinking something acidic like orange juice or a coffee then you're pretty much retarded, because they soften your enamel and quite a bit of damage can be done if you then go to town with a brush. Look forward to having very significant erosion in the future if you've ever made a habit of this.

I get up and brush my teeth first thing
then shit
shower/shave
Grab quick bite and out the door
coffee on way

After dinner i brush again

Havent had a cavity since i was like 10.

I do see your logic, but my routine is set

Brushing BEFORE breakfast would make most breakfast foods taste fucking disgusting (under the assumption you use something that is mint flavoured etc. which I imagined was most products) and also, you'd just get lots of bits of food stuck in your teeth rendering the process pointless... it's like sweaty people who shower before going to bed instead of in the morning for 'convenience' - you're still going to sweat and you're going to smell disgusting the next day.

Who the fuck does that?
Why not just rinse your mouth out with water and wait a few minutes? It's doesn't take that long to wear off.

Brushing before is better on a hygiene level because it gets all the bacteria out your mouth before eating, meaning there's nothing feasting upon all the food you're putting in your mouth. Even if that doesn't gross out you, the overnight accumulation of bacteria will still do some damage in that small amount of time once food enters the mouth before you brush it all out.

The goal of brushing is to get the plaque-causing bacteria out, not the 'bits of food'. You're not one of those crazies who brush every time they eat something, are you?

yeah, i don't usually eat breakfast right after waking up, so i'll brush my teeth before and after breakfast

sometimes a third time right before leaving

bit ocd about my teeth

Brushing before is better on a hygiene level because it gets all the bacteria out your mouth before eating, meaning there's nothing feasting upon all the food you're putting in your mouth. Even if that doesn't gross out you, the overnight accumulation of bacteria will still do some damage in that small amount of time once food enters the mouth before you brush it all out.

This is laughable. Yes, you brush your teeth to agitate the bacteria, but you also brush to get the food out that the bacteria feed on.

If you seriously think there is damage being done in the 20 minutes between eating a meal and brushing your teeth you're retarded.

If you ask most dentists they'll say brush AFTER a meal, BUT! they'll say brushing is obviously better than not brushing. So if you're a before breakfast brusher, at least you're not the scum bag who's not brushing at all.

I don't eat until I get to the office, so I'm forced to brush before.

Then I'm sipping on a drink of some sort for most of the morning so it doesn't make sense to brush again. I should probably get some mouth wash for a post-lunch rinsing though.

But research shows that brushing too soon after meals and drinks, especially those that are acidic, can do more harm than good. Acid reflux poses a similar problem: While it might seem like a good idea to brush after a reflux episode, doing so can damage your teeth.

Acid attacks the teeth, eroding enamel and the layer below it, called dentin. Brushing can accelerate this process, said Dr. Howard R. Gamble, president of the Academy of General Dentistry. “With brushing, you could actually push the acid deeper into the enamel and the dentin,” he said.

In one study, a group of volunteers were followed for three weeks as researchers examined the impact of brushing on their teeth after they drank diet soda. The scientists found an increase in dentin loss when brushing in the 20 minutes after drinking soda. But there was considerably less wear when brushing took place 30 or 60 minutes afterward.

Really? Never Brush Your Teeth Immediately After a Meal - NYTimes.com

the American Dental Association recommends that you brush your teeth twice a day; one time should be before sleep.

One caveat to brushing after you eat is if you've eaten an acidic food or drink — for example, orange juice. Avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes after acidic foods and beverages. These acids weaken tooth enamel, and brushing too soon can cause damage to the enamel. If you know you're going to eat or drink something very acidic ahead of time, you may want to brush your teeth first.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/brushing-your-teeth/AN02098

When should I brush my teeth?

Brush your teeth for at least two minutes in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed.
Never brush your teeth straight after a meal as it can damage your teeth, especially if you've had fruit, fizzy drinks, wine or any other food that contains acid.
This is because tooth enamel is softened by the acid and can be worn away by brushing. Instead, wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/Teethcleaningguide.aspx

seems like new research has changed the rules we were taught

Last edited:
This is laughable. Yes, you brush your teeth to agitate the bacteria, but you also brush to get the food out that the bacteria feed on.

If you seriously think there is damage being done in the 20 minutes between eating a meal and brushing your teeth you're retarded.

If you ask most dentists they'll say brush AFTER a meal, BUT! they'll say brushing is obviously better than not brushing. So if you're a before breakfast brusher, at least you're not the scum bag who's not brushing at all.
The main goal is always to get the bacteria out. Bacteria takes significant time to accumulate, which is why brushing is only recommended approximately every 12 hours rather than all day. Food being in your mouth doesn't really accelerate this process, so it shouldn't be used in any kind of debate over when is best to brush. As long as your bacteria's all brushed out, you're good to go.

Add to this my original point about how any kind of acidity on the teeth will cause very significant wear to your teeth if you brush soon afterwards, particularly the kind of things people like to drink (and eat) for breakfast, and you've got a fairly solid argument for brushing before breakfast. For the same reasons it'd be sensible to brush before dinner if you were to go to bed immediately afterwards.

not being and expert on teeth, but i do know something about acid, i wonder if there is any benefit to eating something alkaline after a meal? in masonry, lime neutralizes acid and vice versa. maybe chewing a tums would have similar result ?

Back