Brett Favre is back

Yes, the defense fucked up the 4th and 26th. No doubt. But you know who else fucked up? The Giants defense in the Super Bowl against the Pats. They gave up a go-ahead touchdown with just over 2 minutes left to play. What the fuck is up with that?

The difference? When the Giants defense let Eli down, he pulled off the greatest postseason drive ever. When the Packers defense let Favre down, he threw a pop-fly interception on the FIRST PLAY OF OVERTIME.

The Packers offense in 2007 was far, far from mediocre. Grant came on strong in the second half of the season and rushed for nearly 1,000 yards in eight games. The wideouts were stellar. The offensive line was solid. The reason Rodgers got sacked so often in 2009 (not 2008) was because Clifton and Tauscher, the starting tackles on both sides of the line, were hurt for the first half of the season.

Oh yes, and while Favre threw for more yards than Brady, he also threw two picks. Brady threw none. One INT didn't end up hurting the Packers because the defender managed to fumble the ball on his runback and it was recovered by the Packers. The other basically ended the game.

Let's break this down more clearly...
1. It was the same Giants D that tore up possibly the best offense ever in the NFL in the Superbowl.

So? Is anyone doubting that Brady played like shit too? He avoided critical errors, however, that could have made the game lopsided. He took more sacks than Favre but didn't throw any interceptions nor did he fumble. I should also note that Brady had a much better completion percentage than Favre.

2. Favre had 28 yards of run support.
The Pats similarly failed to run the ball. They had 45 yards rushing. No excuse

3. Weather conditions were horrible.
This allegedly should favor the Packers, especially since it was at Lambeau. It did not.

4. Favre threw for more yards than Brady in the Superbowl even in the horrible conditions.
Yardage is a terrible indicator for passing proficiency. Nevertheless, even if it was, you're wrong. Brady threw for 30 more yards.

5. Favre had a mediocre offense around him (how much did Rodgers get sacked the next year) and a team that went 6-10 the next year without him.
Absolutely dead wrong and you know that. The Packers had the #2 offense in the NFL behind the Patriots that year for yards per game and were fourth in scoring.

The key takeaway from the Giants/Packers game is this stat: 1 for 10. The Packers converted ONE third down the entire game. One. Who do you put that on? Keep in mind this is the same offense that converted 43% of its 3rd downs in the regular season, good for 8th best in the NFL.

There's just a huge difference between Favre in the regular season and Favre in the postseason. It's been that way since 1998.

Last edited:
The difference? When the Giants defense let Eli down, he pulled off the greatest postseason drive ever.
Not to change the topic or deprive you of a quad post, but the Steelers had a better one the very next season ;). And the Giants defense conceded some points, yes, but most of the time they were busy winning the game for New York.

I agree about the Favre stuff mostly though. He's still fun to watch either way...glad he's playing but I don't have very high expectations for him.

You forgot the interception against the giants to lose the NFC championship at Lambeau.

Yah, I mentioned the things that I thought labeled him as a choker. I don't put those games in there. I didn't think most people considered those games his fault.

But inaccurate to say the Atlanta game was the only game they lost at home, it was just the first. That article icey linked is pretty retarded though. Listing the only losing season under favre as a negative, but glossing over that he had only one losing season? Duh.

I like watching Favre, I think he's one of the best QBs to ever play, but I wouldn't list him as #1 or anything. Marino would be my first pick, I'd take both Brady and Manning over him. Definitely Montana and probably Young. Best I could do would say top 10 for Favre.

But he should be given credit for what he is. Extremely fun to watch, you know he's going to go for it. He's not going to go down by being conservative. He does look like he's always having fun and has lots of energy even at this age. He has been tough as hell as a player.

Since he only had 1 losing season, they drafted high for 15 years. Acting like Favre ruined superbowl level teams with his late game interceptions is silly. The teams just weren't that good.

Back