[Breaking] President Musharraf steps down under threat of impeachment

Jagonath

Veteran X
FOXNews.com - Pakistani President Musharraf Resigns Amid Impeachment Threats - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

This could be bad. Musharraf was a big ally of the US. He's been fighting al'quada (argueable to what extent) and the region is close to all out war.

Most of the people hate him. He's probably corrupt as fuck, but this could have major consequences... Obama has already threatened or at least suggested that he would invade northern Pakistan if it was discovered that terrorists were operating from there. They obviously are.

The more I think about this, the worse it seems. A country with nukes and terrorists and an unknown future leader could spell big trouble for... well pretty much everyone.

isn't some general who was fairly pro-democracy in line to get the presidency or some shit?

remember, he's stepping down because he's been UNDEMOCRATIC (in not so many words).

this could be a very positive step in pakistan's future.

isn't some general who was fairly pro-democracy in line to get the presidency or some shit?

remember, he's stepping down because he's been UNDEMOCRATIC (in not so many words).

this could be a very positive step in pakistan's future.

I thought we pretty firmly established that democracy for countries full of sun-stroked koran-thumpers tends to backfire.

The new adminstration is incredibly retarded, petty, prone to ridiculous levels of infighting, and as corrupt as they were 10 years ago. Pakistan has lost the best leader it's ever had.

What exactly did Musharraf accomplish that was so fucking awesome?

How exactly did Musharraf kick ass in the war on terror?

The reports are that the Pakistani ISI has been aiding the taliban and clearly they've preferred a strategy of appeasement regarding al qaeda. The only time it seems Pakistan got really serious about these freaks was when they brought their shit to the capital and that big Mosque has a bit down (after students had been kidnapping civilians, beating people, fighting cops and generally trying to take over the streets just blocks from the capital buildings).

Al qaeda has declared open war on the Pakistani govt, their most respected leader was MURDERED openly (with indications that Mushy didnt allow her top tier security) and yet the border regions remain controlled by wackos.

Ninjas everywhere are watching these events with keen interest.

080818-pakistan-politics-hmed-230a.h2.jpg

Wasn't Turkey fairly secular for a long time, and only in the last 10 or 15 years have the koran humpers started to get real uppity?

Yeah, its rather unfortunate. Those who are calling for a more theocratic government are really trying to ruin a good thing.

Right, but not for lack of trying from the warbling islam brigade. It seemed they have made inroads culturally but not politically (yet).

They almost kicked out the current president in Turkey for wanting a more religion-based government. He barely kept enough votes to stay.

Right, but not for lack of trying from the warbling islam brigade. It seemed they have made inroads culturally but not politically (yet).

It's more of a conservative and nationalist thing, than a real religious thing.

Their constitution is fairly straight forward on the point pertaining theological impulses.

I think it's been shown that the new "religious" party is a lot more secular and pragmatic than the western watchdogs feared. The real problem as i understand it is that the society is still fairly CLOSED on matters of free speech and shit like that. I'm not sure, but i bet you can get away with dissing islam in a publication but if you diss Turkey itself you can get in seroius legal trouble.

Ataturk is a God over there, I imagine you could even bad mouth Muhammad, but if you bad mouth Ataturk, they' hang you for the minerets by your toes...

Turkey remains fairly secular.

True. From what I've heard, Bush even mananged to piss them off by referring to them as a "moderate muslim" country, when in fact most of them are strongly the idea of being a religion-based state at all.

It's more of a conservative and nationalist thing, than a real religious thing.

Their constitution is fairly straight forward on the point pertaining theological impulses.

I think it's been shown that the new "religious" party is a lot more secular and pragmatic than the western watchdogs feared. The real problem as i understand it is that the society is still fairly CLOSED on matters of free speech and shit like that. I'm not sure, but i bet you can get away with dissing islam in a publication but if you diss Turkey itself you can get in seroius legal trouble.

you wont get more freedoms from a non secular govt.

Back