Book recommendations?

dubsack

Veteran XV
Looking for some new stuff to read, anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for something fast paced, either sci-fi or horror. I really like cyber-punk, post apocalyptic, dystopian settings. Zombies are a plus, not huge on vampires or overly goth. Also trippy/drugged out stories along the lines of Scanner Darkly or Ecstacy Club (just ordered Fear and Loathing, as well as Clockwork Orange).

The latest books I really enjoyed are probably Altered Carbon (and subsequent novels) and World War Z.

I have read most of the classics, though any obscure ones are welcome.

For reference these are some authors I have read and (mostly) enjoyed:

Philip K Dick
William Gibson
Neal Stephenson
Richard K Morgan
Tolkien
Frank Herbert
Jonathan Lethem
Ray Bradbury
Margaret Atwood
Clarke
Orwell
Huxley
Larry Niven
Richard Matheson
Thomas Pynchon
Mark Z Danielewski
Chuck Palahniuk
Vonnegut
Max Brooks
Sergei Lukyanenko

Any real suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
i cant read fiction books anymore. anything that's not informative, that im not learning about, not underlining , etc. i feel like it's a gross waste of time.

i cant read fiction books anymore. anything that's not informative, that im not learning about, not underlining , etc. i feel like it's a gross waste of time.

I can understand this point of view, but there is always something to be gained/learned from reading a good book, be it fiction or nonfiction. I read both, but enjoy fiction more than non-fiction just from a simple entertainment angle.

Someone's upset that their parents never read Aesop's Fables to them :o:

might try the Reality Dysfunction series (I'm pretty sure thats what its called, its the first two books anyway) by Peter F Hamilton

he loses track sometimes and meanders but its a pretty good dark tale quasi horror / sci-fi

edit there is a little bit of deus ex machina though if that really turns you off you might want to steer clear

From Booklist
The emperor, surrounded by his elite of those chosen to become undead, has ruled for 1,600 years, and the empire has become decadent, with the gap between the living and the Risen growing apace. Then the Rix--computer-augmented humans who revere planetary AI--kidnap the child empress on her own planet, Legis XV. Not only does this threaten the emperor's great secret, it is the furthest incursion into imperial space that the Rix have yet made. Captain Laurent Zai is charged to effect the empress' rescue--a dangerous, almost impossible task. Meanwhile, the woman he loves, a senator of the Secularist Party of the living and against the Risen, is enmeshed in the political consequences of the Rix invasion and the preparation for war. It doesn't take long for the Legis XV computers to become a compound mind a la the Rix and fight for survival, too. Westerfeld manages the action impeccably, and he leaves threads of plot hanging for a grand space-opera finale in a promised sequel. Regina Schroeder
51X39xXmxLL._SS500_.jpg

I hear people say this from time to time and I always think back to what my professor of neuroscience told me.

He said there was a very high correlation with reading and being successful in life. It wasn't intelligence, what social class you came from, or what grades you got in school - it was reading. And he said it didn't matter what you read, it could be the news paper, emails, or the backs of cereal boxes as long as you kept reading.

Just fyi.

Back