Blockbuster to drop late fees

Dat

Veteran X
CNN said:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Blockbuster Inc. announced Tuesday it is abolishing late fees on all its video tapes, DVDs and video games as of Jan. 1.

The world's largest video rental company will still have due dates for their rental products -- one week for games and two days or one week for movies, depending on whether it's a new release.

But customers will be given a one-week grace period after that to return the product. After that grace period ends, the chain will automatically sell them the product, less the rental fee. If the customers don't want to purchase the movie or game, they can return the product within 30 days for a credit, less a restocking fee.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/news/midcaps/blockbuster_latefees/index.htm?cnn=yes

This makes me :) since I'm incredibly forgetful when it comes to returning movies.

i'd love to look at their market research that brought them to that decision - good move in my opinion.

that market research is "netflix is kicking our ass"
honestly i dont see how netflix works, X number of people can use the same account without them knowing...

Pachacutec said:
honestly i dont see how netflix works, X number of people can use the same account without them knowing...
Why would it matter to the Netflix people? You can only have 3 (I think it's 3 at least) things checked out at once so why would they care if more than one person uses those 3 checkouts?

Also, it might be a problem having them ship things to different addresses.

so, in the long run, you'll end up still being charged a "late fee", but it won't be called that and it will be a much larger number.

niiiice.

Stinkfist said:
so, in the long run, you'll end up still being charged a "late fee", but it won't be called that and it will be a much larger number.

niiiice.

considering people usually are one or two days late with their movies, this essentially eliminates late fees. think it's a great idea.

orbital 123 said:
considering people usually are one or two days late with their movies, this essentially eliminates late fees. think it's a great idea.
please go away and never come back

Pachacutec said:
Sharing might happen in college dorms where everyone is together, but for older adults living in houses, no sharing happens. When I rent a movie, it's not like I go knock on the neighbors door and ask if they want to see it.

FalseMyrmidon said:
Why would it matter to the Netflix people? You can only have 3 (I think it's 3 at least) things checked out at once so why would they care if more than one person uses those 3 checkouts?

Also, it might be a problem having them ship things to different addresses.

Three out is the basic plan and you can only ship to one address. I am pretty sure you have to ship the movies to the billing address on the CC card you provide.

It only makes sense for BB to do this since the online service they provide has no late fees for rentals. It is like Netflix where you keep the DVD out as long as you want as long as you continue to pay the monthly fee.

orbital 123 said:
you're still getting a "late fee", it just doesn't accrue the more you have the video out.

Back