Bit torrent woes

NolMan

Veteran X
so if i try to use a old fast DLing version of bit torrent i get the infamous 100% CPU locking bug (caused by to many connections)

however if i try a newer client and limit the incoming connections i can't fucking download at all, i download 50 megs then get cutoff from the main bit torrent stream somehow...

anyone had this problem and know how to get around it?

Thats a new one for me. I'll look around for ya. Sure its not a case of limiting your incoming connections too much?

(check PM)

SouthO said:
Bit Tornado 0.3.4 working fine for me.

Although I had a problem with a cheap $15 netgear NIC. It would *lose* network connectivity after I d/l'd so much. I'd have to reboot my router to get it to reconnect.

Switching to my 7 year old kingston NIC solved the problem.

I have my own BT woes, when I'm using BT. My connection gets owned and I ping 2000+ to anything. I use optimum online :( is there something to remedy this? or did optimum own my cable or something

Gray-Fox(Fake) said:
I have my own BT woes, when I'm using BT. My connection gets owned and I ping 2000+ to anything. I use optimum online :( is there something to remedy this? or did optimum own my cable or something
you need to limit the bandwidth of your upload, if you're sending at the max your line can handle it saturates the line somehow and limits your d/l. On my dsl now and when I was on cable I limit it to about 15KB/s u/l and it lets me get the most of my d/l speeds while not cheating too much on the u/l. I just leave it on after it finishes to keep my ratio's up.

thanks for the heads up on azureus, i will check it out, i downloaded tornado 0.3.4 and tweaked the settings to 15 peers and 40 total connections and although my speeds aren't as good as they used to be i have had no freezes or losing of the stream. After i finish this DL off i will switch to azureus.

The part that i don't get is that I used to use this NIC with BT for ages, but at one point it just started doing that 100% cpu freezing thing.

i've been using burst ever since i got into the torrent scene. really no problems with it, but if you guys say to move to azureus... i'll do it

Krobar said:
you need to limit the bandwidth of your upload, if you're sending at the max your line can handle it saturates the line somehow and limits your d/l. On my dsl now and when I was on cable I limit it to about 15KB/s u/l and it lets me get the most of my d/l speeds while not cheating too much on the u/l. I just leave it on after it finishes to keep my ratio's up.
this helped.. thanks!

iNVAR said:
if you're using anything other than azureus, you're doing yourself a disservice.
I've heard Azureus is a resource whore.

For me, its BitTornado all the way. i've been using shadow's experimental for a long ass time, and so using Bittornado was a natural progression. irecently tried ABC as I was downloading 10 torrents at once, but I'll probably go back to BitTornado tonight or tomorrow now that I'm done (btw, for those that don't know, ABC uses the latest Bittornado stable release and adds a GUI for multiple torrents at a time). the thing i do like about ABC though is the stop after X setup (time, upload %, or unlimited)

Back