Binary Long Division

Torment

Veteran X
Okay, I suck at this. I haven't done long division in a long ass time - I certainly remember the concept, and it's somewhat easier I suppose since you never subtract multiples ( errr right ? ) of your divisor. But I can't get this right:
......._____
0100)0001

which is essentially 1/4.... I know the answer, it's simply (1)*2^-2 = .01 ... rather, I need to figure out how to do the actual method ( just to show that this isn't someone else doing my hw, and I'm actually trying to learn something .'/ ) Any help ?

Last edited:
funny, I have to do binary division in my first unit of EE316... which i should probably get started on soon.

edit: and it's 1/6, not 1/4. 0110 is 6.

and you do subtract multiples

Last edited:
Sorry, the 0110 was a typo - it should have been 0100.

Actually, I need the decimal->binary conversion of 16.25 so I can convert it into a float in binary form

Zarakon said:
funny, I have to do binary division in my first unit of EE316... which i should probably get started on soon.

edit: and it's 1/6, not 1/4. 0110 is 6.

and you do subtract multiples

right but the only multiple you subtract is 1

Torment said:
......._____
0110)0001

Code:
   __.00101________________
110|1.00000
         etc

.00101010101010101 repeating

edit: GAH. 100...

Code:
[code]

__.01________________
100|1.00000

that was much easier

Okay shit, I actually did the division right, but I accidentally wrote 0110 on the paper too (instead of 0100) which turns out to be .001001001001 etc. etc. which is why I knew it was wrong. I'm just a retard ) : thanks for catching it though - saved me tons of time

why the fuck is anyone ever going to need to devide in binary?! its like the quadratic formula, no one is ever going to fuckign use this shit excpet MAYBE in another math class that will teach you more useless crap!!!!

i fucking hate math, its such a waste of time.

xXxODiExXx said:
why the fuck is anyone ever going to need to devide in binary?! its like the quadratic formula, no one is ever going to fuckign use this shit excpet MAYBE in another math class that will teach you more useless crap!!!!

:rofl: (vgx)

xXxODiExXx said:

computers use binary

edit: asshat.

xXxODiExXx said:

Yes, if you ever major in something that requires basic math ( calculas, linear algebra, something like that ) you will see the usefulness of the quadratic formula

but if not, I can understand your frustration.

Torment said:
Yes, if you ever major in something that requires basic math ( calculas, linear algebra, something like that ) you will see the usefulness of the quadratic formula

but if not, I can understand your frustration.

calculus*

Back