[Bikes] Hybrid

TF_Grungir

Veteran XV
Let me preface this by saying I havent really been on a bike (without a motor) in almost 20 years. Now that my son is 3 he is riding a bike and the wife and I are going to buy bikes so we can go out and ride with him.
I am looking at a couple of different bikes and I thought I would ask what you all thought...
Bike 1 is a Jamis Allegro 2x
Bike 2 is a Gary Fisher Utopia
I think I have it narrowed down to those 2. I want a front shock.
Do any of you have any recommendations on the hybrid type bike? I will be doing most of my riding on the street but will also be doing dirt roads and light trails. Anyone have any experience with these bikes or maybe recommend another one to look at?

I highly recommend going with the Utopia.*

You're welcome.

Spoiler

Just get something you feel comfortable on.

I like the Jamis... waiting to have the shop finish building the GF so i can ride it. I tried all the non-suspended bikes and liked the Trek 7.x series the best of those.
I keep hearing that frame-wise they are all about the same at tthis price point ($700ish) and it is all about the components after that. Any advice? Shimano ot SRAM? I keep reading reviews from folks that are WAY more inito it than I am or would want to be at this time. Im more concerned about quality and durability than performance as I fear that the performance gain would be lost on me.

I have the Giant Sedona and love it. It really comes down to the components and comfort. Whichever one fits you the best is the best ultimately in this case. If that's equal then the components. Shimano and SRAM are pretty similar in quality really. All bike frames in this level and type ultimately come from one of about three actual factories. Gary Fishers are made by Trek. Jamis is made by Giant (I think).

Here are the rankings for Shimano bike components (in increasing order of quality):

* Altus (8-speed)
* Acera (8-speed)
* Alivio (8-speed)
* Deore (9-speed)
* XT (9-speed)
* XTR (9-speed)

Here are the rankings for SRAM bike components (in increasing order of quality):

* 3.0 (8-speed)
* 5.0 (9-speed)
* 7.0 (9-speed)
* 9.0 (9-speed)
* XX (10-speed)

I have the Giant Sedona and love it. It really comes down to the components and comfort. Whichever one fits you the best is the best ultimately in this case. If that's equal then the components. Shimano and SRAM are pretty similar in quality really. All bike frames in this level and type ultimately come from one of about three actual factories. Gary Fishers are made by Trek. Jamis is made by Giant (I think).

Here are the rankings for Shimano bike components (in increasing order of quality):

* Altus (8-speed)
* Acera (8-speed)
* Alivio (8-speed)
* Deore (9-speed)
* XT (9-speed)
* XTR (9-speed)

Here are the rankings for SRAM bike components (in increasing order of quality):

* 3.0 (8-speed)
* 5.0 (9-speed)
* 7.0 (9-speed)
* 9.0 (9-speed)
* XX (10-speed)

excellent post
I didn't feel like breaking down the components in detail like that
so basically Deore or 7.0 range is where you might want to look
XT and XTR stuff starts to get expensive

hello-kitty-bicycle.jpg

vulcans be a bit too big for that bike. You could do a couple of shotgun holsters on it though

We bought my son a Gary Fisher almost 8 years ago, he still rides it to this day. The only repairs we've ever had to do with it are replacing the tires and fixing a brake clip he jacked up on a wreck.
The seat was switched out for one that didn't induce a serious case of crack probing.
Great bike, he still loves riding it.

Why get a hybrid when you can just get a full-on ATB and fit it out with street slicks when you're cruising the neighborhood?

Hey, good call on the garage. I just put it there last fall. Before that I kept it in the entryway of our house along with my wife's TREK 820. The bike mount is a stand-alone version.

And I probably do need to go to www.nashbar.com and order some new tires. So?

hyrbrids are bikes that aren't good on the street or the dirt... personally for me a good decent mtb is the best alll around bike

hyrbrids are bikes that aren't good on the street or the dirt... personally for me a good decent mtb is the best alll around bike

yep. You can always buy different rubber depending on what you're riding on, and you know the bike is going to be durable.

PS: I love my Kona.

Back