Beta Testers: tried this?

LoVer

Veteran X
I have found this to be effective in beta pubs against serveral different types of targets.

Equip a disklauncher and a rocketpod. Bind your keys so that you can switch to the rp immediately after firing the disk. You don't even need to press the fire button again (hold it down) and the rp will unload almost as soon as the disk has fired. You can deal a nasty amount of damage in a small area very quickly so long as you are firing at a long enough range for the rp to arm.

Now I know this is not news that you can fire one weapon right after another in this way, but i'd bet most people have not tried this particular combination. The one most people have seen, maybe even by accident, is when their rifle fires right after chaining.

try the disk/rp a try and see what you think. The rp firing time might need to be made a little less immediate. For instance you cannot do this with the disklauncher, it takes much more time for it to "ready" before firing after another weapon. Maybe I have just been getting lucky with the combo though. Try it for yourselves.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with that as long as switching to disc from rp right after firing doesn't fire 2-3 discs as fast as the rp fires, ala T1 Vengeance mod. :)

LoVer said:
I have found this to be effective in beta pubs against serveral different types of targets.

Equip a disklauncher and a rocketpod. Bind your keys so that you can switch to the rp immediately after firing the disk. You don't even need to press the fire button again (hold it down) and the rp will unload almost as soon as the disk has fired. You can deal a nasty amount of damage in a small area very quickly so long as you are firing at a long enough range for the rp to arm.

Now I know this is not news that you can fire one weapon right after another in this way, but i'd bet most people have not tried this particular combination. The one most people have seen, maybe even by accident, is when their rifle fires right after chaining.

try the disk/rp a try and see what you think. The rp firing time might need to be made a little less immediate. For instance you cannot do this with the disklauncher, it takes much more time for it to "ready" before firing after another weapon. Maybe I have just been getting lucky with the combo though. Try it for yourselves.

I see people doing this. Fire Disk, then chain whore like whoa, then nade faster then a speed pack

How does this work? I am not participating in beta so I am not quite sure I understand what is being said here.

Binding the keys such that you switch from disc to rocket? which keys? 1 and 2? so you still have to hit 2 to switch to rocket? Can someone clarify please?

My guess for the reason is disks have a big reload time compared to rp.

And I think they are just doing it by having keys 1, 2 and 3 bound to weapons and he just clicks and presses the key bound to the rp right after that to fire a disk and rocket almost simultaneously.

It's how the firing works, and the time spent holding down the fire button. Currently (and like every other game) if you hold down the fire button, the weapon will continue to fire at whatever reload speed it is supposed to have.

If however, you switch weapons while holding down the fire button, the next weapon you switch to will receive the 'fire' command immediately, and thus skip the entire wait time for reloading. How is this a bug in T:V? Normally there should be a short delay (a few microseconds) after switching to the weapon, usually done by having the 'prepare' animation, e.g. loading a disc, or whatever, which prevents this bug from happening. Instead, T:V readies the weapon in the full 'loaded' position, allowing it to fire immediately.

It's a little bit of a bug, but more importantly, it is incredibly annoying, especially when switching from one weapon to the sinper rifle, and wasting one of your 10 valuable shots.

I've been using a rocketpod/disc combo for a while and it works pretty damn well. I don't do the instaswitch thing, but I use the rocket pod for air and the disc for when they are on the ground.

Hm.... also saw in one video one guy using a disk/buckler combination. If it's a bug or a feature depends on your POV, I guess. Personally, I think a small 'preparation time' for a weapon would be cool and prevent this.

It's a side effect of instant weapon switch. Note how all Quake games after Q1 had non-instant weapon switch because people would write scripts to switch to alternate weapons in between rocket launcher reloads. Could be a sign of things to come.

Back