Best budget mp3 player?

madbomber

Veteran XX
So I'm looking to buy an mp3 player, & iPod's are still too expensive up here in Canada. I don't really need 4gb of music anyways...only really going to be using it for running/working out when my mp3 discman skips too much. I'm looking to spend about $100-140 ($120-170 Canadian).

These 2 caught my eye:
http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iFP-780.aspx
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=258

Are they any good? Can anyone suggest anything better for the price range?

phone5.jpg

edit - Oops...sorry I thought you said cell phone.

creative nomad fo' sho. i got the 30 gig one for 230 and it works great. they do have a somewhat high rate for defects occurring after owning them, but put out 30 bucks for an extended warranty and its till ridiculously cheap compared to the other stuff. i love mine but they have other models that might fit your needs better creative.com

madbomber said:
If it was available to Canadians, I would've been all over the freeIpod.com offers before it was AFN :p

Hold tight, I know that the mp3players4free is tring to make there offer open to Canada residents.

the iriver is great.. i have the 790

if you want to go cheap though you could get a 100 or 300 series and get one w/ at least 256megs of space. 190 is around $100 i think if you can still find them

don't buy an archos product, they are crap

i have two $400 archos jbm-020s sitting here next to me which are both nothing more than fucking paper weights now

the battery life sucks
the customer service sucks
the firmware sucks
the durability sucks
the quality control sucks

its a shit company, idc wtf newegg reviews say

Ronnie Dobbs said:
i have two $400 archos jbm-020s sitting here next to me which are both nothing more than fucking paper weights now

the battery life sucks
the customer service sucks
the firmware sucks
the durability sucks
the quality control sucks

its a shit company, idc wtf newegg reviews say
The 400 is one with video, aren't all personal media things like that short on battery life?

How long did you have them for?

jbm-020 was the predecessor to the av-320,40 series, which now go for $4-500. the 20 plays video etc, just has a smaller screen and a few less features than the newer ones.

mine lasted about a year but always had shit battery life. less than 2 hours for the last 6 months. now its won't recognize the hd anymore even though i've had the hd out of it and it works perfectly fine outside the unit w/ a notebook hd adapter

the other one i have is my boss's which i am attempting to "fix" as his never ran more than 30 mins, even a week after he bought it. there are a host of problems that the units had including bent, loose or even missing battery terminals, batteries earthing to the case and shorting, cold solder joints etc etc etc.

go read the archos yahoo group. when i read it, it used to be filled w/ ppl complaining about a ton of problems w/ their products. i don't keep current on their new models but i doubt they are any better. and i can tell by looking at that one you linked that it uses the same battery mine did which is total crap.

Back