[Audio] passing audio into software

GingerBreadMan

Contributor
Veteran X
Dear Audio heads/producers

Does anyone know how to sample sounds ON your computer (eg. you hear something on youtube, whatever sound on your computer, essentially anything on your soundcard) so you can route it into production software (eg. ableton) for sampling? The software I have requires an external source to sample from, like a turntable or a mixer.

I'm on a PC, otherwise the ideal program would be Soundflower. I've looked into programs like Virtual Audio Cable, but they all seem pretty shoddy. This used to be easy in earlier versions of windows with the playback, but I can't figure out a way to do it now without going through a mixer, which I don't own at the moment. Does anyone know how?

I do as well, make sure you right click and have it show disabled devices, as I believe it is disabled by default.

yep, the audio mixer in win 7 is one of the few fucking gripes I have about an otherwise amazing OS (doubly so because I have an old X-fi and soundblasters are shit for anything past XP)

essentially you need to record 'what u hear' like it was in XP, that link sorts you out

to be honest I just boot up XP whenever I'm working on audio cleanup (I'm a sound recordist/audio tech for film work)

Last edited:
yeah, windows 7 has been a pain in the ass for audio for me, especially for compatibility issues with the software I work with. jodo was an all star here though, saved me some pain

yeah that link was nice and simple, sorta like when I spent 20 minutes fuming at the lack of a quicklaunch bar in 7, at least with audio devices its just a simple option change, you have to fuck around with the 'run program' shit to get the quicklaunch bar

sounds weird, but I was seriously considering binning win 7 if I couldnt get a quickbar

its annoyingly simple to get the quickbar though, I have no idea why the fuck it wasnt enabled by default (it's built in, but disabled for some reason)

but yeah I still boot into XP if I need to do frame by frame cleanup, which thankfully I get paid for so I dont mind

yeh I'm using audacity coupled with this trick so I can slice up the wav files. thanks bros

frame by frame cleanup would kill me, even if I get paid for it. Hopefull that's not the best part about your job

yeah that link was nice and simple, sorta like when I spent 20 minutes fuming at the lack of a quicklaunch bar in 7, at least with audio devices its just a simple option change, you have to fuck around with the 'run program' shit to get the quicklaunch bar

sounds weird, but I was seriously considering binning win 7 if I couldnt get a quickbar

why do you need a quicklaunch bar with win 7. The taskbar has that functionality built in. I was a huge quicklaunch fanatic all the way through vista. I've never missed it with windows 7. madness.

yeh I'm using audacity coupled with this trick so I can slice up the wav files. thanks bros

frame by frame cleanup would kill me, even if I get paid for it. Hopefull that's not the best part about your job

frame by frame is the worst part of my job, I much prefer working in the field on a shoot to post-production but I'm the only dickhead in my year that knows how to do it properly so I get semi decent pay helping friends out when their audio recordist is a useless prick, and I freelance that shit out when I'm strapped for cash

Arjay said:
why do you need a quicklaunch bar with win 7. The taskbar has that functionality built in. I was a huge quicklaunch fanatic all the way through vista. I've never missed it with windows 7. madness.

yes I know you can stick applications to the taskbar, but I usually have at least 10 windows open and I have about 10 applications I need to use regularly, they all go into the quicklaunch bar so I dont have to fuck around and lose precious seconds finding in the start menu

yes I know it probably sounds stupid, but a quickbar is just essential for me, its like turning a house into a home :shrug:

and the fact that it's actually included in win 7 but not only disabled by default but requiring some mid-level system tampering to enable it is mind boggling

Back