[apple] OS X 10.5 Leopard delayed till October, iPhone blamed

Skyline

Veteran X
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070412/sfth056.html?.v=87

Phone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned. We can't wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price -- we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS® X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October. We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we're sure we've made the right ones.

Wait...so the computer company is fucking over all it's computer users...so it can better serve it's cell phone users?

What a fucking joke. Delay your iPhone, get OSX out on time. It's a no brainer. It's be like MS delaying Vista because they wanted to work on the Zune.

I'm sure they have agreements with Cingular that say they will have the phone out when they say they will have it out or something.

As much as this sucks, I can understand it. The iPhone is going to be much more popular and have a bigger impact on EVERYONE, not just Mac users. Jodo makes a good point too.

Exactly. Nothing life changing in this upgrade. I can wait.
depends, havent announced the full feature set yet that i know of, if they added windows support inside of OSX i'll be pissed if i have to wait for Oct instead of June becouse of the iPhone

An October ship date means the development time is about 2.5 years

More and more the hardware/os side has become second class to the iPod cash cow (and now iPhone, appletv). Apple Inc vs Apple Computer Inc. It is a little dissapointing

An October ship date means the development time is about 2.5 years

More and more the hardware/os side has become second class to the iPod cash cow (and now iPhone, appletv). Apple Inc vs Apple Computer Inc. It is a little dissapointing

They should just scrap the entire computer division. They'd probably have a higher profit margin...

Wait...so the computer company is fucking over all it's computer users...so it can better serve it's cell phone users?

What a fucking joke. Delay your iPhone, get OSX out on time. It's a no brainer. It's be like MS delaying Vista because they wanted to work on the Zune.

you got it backwards. leopard is just a point release. 10.4 to 10.5

not exactly...Ipod/Iphone is apple's flagship money maker these days
of fucking course they reallocate resources to that over the OS, which works just fine the way it is

You mean a company is putting more time and money into something that produces the most profit for them? Wow what a crazy concept.

ROFL, the iphone is revolutionary and magical? wtf, it's a fucking phone w/ a touchscreen. How is that magical or even new?

Back