anyone have an external hard drive?

well, i'm not too savy, chance are i might fuck something up, so i'm willing to pay extra for some piece of mind that my data is safe(although i plan on burning the extremely important stuff to dvds anyway..), but i've never bought one before, just want to check which company does the best work. i have two western digitals in this pc (2x 120gig) and haven't had any problems for over 3 years.

pyrot3chnic said:
well, i'm not too savy, chance are i might fuck something up, so i'm willing to pay extra for some piece of mind that my data is safe(although i plan on burning the extremely important stuff to dvds anyway..), but i've never bought one before, just want to check which company does the best work. i have two western digitals in this pc (2x 120gig) and haven't had any problems for over 3 years.

Buy a cheap big HDD. Then buy the case, seperately.

There are 2 connections to make, and you can't fuck them up unless you cut wired or something. It's power, and data line. Nothing else. 2 plugs.

Simple, and will probably save you a lot in the longrun.

I got one I bought off New Egg. 80 gig for $70 shipped. I don't use it all that often, it's just for backing up pics of my kid and other shit I don't want lost from time to time.

Acomadata 320 GB
4430956.box.GIF

These are what I bought. I like them hooked up daisy chained in firewire. They are built very well. Excellent rocker switch and cord/ps. Very sturdy all aluminum, stand included.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4430956?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Find an external enclosure made as well as this one and I'll reconsider. I know you can get internal 320 GB SATA from newegg for ~$95... what would be a quality enclosure for one.

Last edited:
pyrot3chnic said:
how's it working out for you?

also, do you need any software, or is it simply plug n play?

I don't use their software...some backup thing you might want to look at. Comes formatted in FAT32, so the only thing I do is reformat it to Basic NTFS, name it and give it a different drive letter.

Back