Anyone else remember Dungeon Keeper 2?

'One of your imps does a great impression of you. He can even do the ears.'

I spent quite a significant amount of time obsessively playing this one. Anyway, apparently it's abandonware now, so you can get it from here. Link has both FTP and torrent download available.

I was playing Dungeon Keeper:Gold edition or whatever last week actually. Played through DK-2 last summer actually, got a buddy to play some multiplayer with me, was fun.

"Abandonware".. ROFL. Like that somehow makes it legit. It's still warez, people.

How so? It's not sold anymore, no one is losing any money. Any legal reasoning behind spreading the information freely is gone. If they decide to sell it again, you would have a legal case, but that is it.

You know, I thought Dungeon Keeper Gold was better.
Maybe it's because I played the hell out of it for quite a while before getting DK2, but I felt that despite the many improvements, DK2 was missing something.

Little stuff like the crazy torture animations and elaborate ways of eating chicken (which they just couldn't pull off in 3d), or how the imp slapping was waaaaay more satisfying.
I guess I just missed the darker atmosphere of the first one, that was pretty gloomy despite being totally hilarious (I missed having giant spiders and hellhounds instead of rogues and dark elves).
Gameplay-wise it had a lot of improvements, but I felt it relied a bit too much on that first person mechanic, and the horned demon management wasn't as entertaining (it also always seemed to me that the monsters in dk2 fought a lot less amongst themselves).

Still, DK2 was a pretty excellent game, dude.
BillTed3.jpg

It's harder to go back to DK gold after DK2 if only because of the combat improvements.

I remember buying it just after the SoundBlaster 2 came out. I had an SB2 (so did everyone else I thought)

After installing DK2, it says "Dungeon Keeper 2 won't play on a system with a SoundBlaster card"

wtf? :huh:

Isn't it legit legally because there is no one left to infringe on?

No. Companies don't just "disappear", they tend to get swallowed up by someone else. There's still someone out there who owns the rights to it. In this case, I believe it's actually EA. Just because they don't sell it doesn't mean it's "Abandoned". Do you think it's legal to download a TV series that hasn't been released on DVD? How about that favourite album from your childhood that's no longer being distributed? Same theory applies - just because it isn't commercially available doesn't give you carte blanche to do as you please.

How so? It's not sold anymore, no one is losing any money. Any legal reasoning behind spreading the information freely is gone. If they decide to sell it again, you would have a legal case, but that is it.

No-one loses money when you pirate a game you wouldn't otherwise be buying either, so that argument is entirely invalid. If they do decide to sell it again, then suddenly all those people who downloaded it for free are no longer interested in buying it.

Copyright doesn't magically disappear just because people aren't selling a product. Download it all you want, but don't kid yourself that it's somehow legal. "Abandonware" is just a term made up for a particular type of piracy. It has absolutely no difference in its legality. The license holders just generally seem less interested in prosecuting people for it.. that doesn't mean they can't, though.

I remember making extra torture rooms because the Mistresses would hog them. I'd capture a hero and want to go torture and convert him but the mistresses would be whippin' and slappin' each other silly to keep their morale up. And when I locked them out of it they would get all pissy and break shit.

I think it's called "abandonware" when the publishing company no longer publishes new copies. The legality of it would still be in question but the fact remains said owner isn't seeking to gain any more profit off said title, and I think that's what people use to justify it as warez, etc. Ownership vs. profiting from it still.

Back