Anybody here read The Epic of Gilgamesh?

Wendy

Veteran XV
I know there are many editions, different translations by different people...need help choosing one - I am only vaguely familiar with the story, and would like to finally read it from beginning to end.

Any type of feedback would help, which author/title you've read, thoughts, etc.

Gilgamesh : A New English Version -- by Stephen Mitchell looks promising, but Amazon reviews are saying its not as poetic as other versions...

my copy was like one of those 'classic' series paperbacks....it was fine for me but it was quite a bit ago...

Smiles said:
my copy was like one of those 'classic' series paperbacks....it was fine for me but it was quite a bit ago...

same here...I read it when I was in high school

fuck me, that was like 10 years ago
omg I'm old :(

Grand Masta D said:
I had to buy a copy for my ancient histroy course but I never read it so I can't tell you how good it was.
^^ same here, sorta. i think it is contained, partly or summarized, in my Ancient Mesopotamian book.

Special---K said:
same here...I read it when I was in high school

fuck me, that was like 10 years ago
omg I'm old :(

Same here, although it's been even longer for me, I think. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 16-17 years.

I even picked it up voluntarily, heh.

I think Robert Silverberg wrote a book based on it as well.

just found mine. i have

Myths from Mesopotamia
Creation, The Flood, Gilgamesh, and others

it's an OXFORD WORLD'S CLASSICS, and it has two versions. Standard and Old Babylonian

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-0967372-5241700?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

transparent-pixel.gif

^^ that may red x, i dunno if u can hotlink amazon

its basically about a rich guy who goes out to find happiness and finds that without want there is no sadness. he became happy and people asked him for advice which he gave reluctantly. he figured he found his own happiness and everyone else had to find its own...

it is like the landmark Buhddism story...or Taoism, but i forget,... :)

Back