AMPSss

JohnnyX

Veteran XV
Ok, so I have had like a small practice amp for the longest time, but I'm thinking about buying some more serious gear so that I can maybe even start/join a band of some sorts and fuck around.

I'm kind of leaning towards a combo amp in the 800ish range, if I can find one used for like 500 range that is capable of use at small venues that would probably be the best fit for me at this point, since I don't know if it will actually go anywhere.

A couple of questions. What is the major difference between something like a 4 x 10 and a 2 x 12? Am I gonna see more low range kick because of the bigger speaker? Are the DSP models like a frontman up to snuff at this point, or is tube still amazingly better? I've mainly been looking at Fender models, but I'm pretty open to suggestions.

As far as the sound I'm looking for, I'm not really sure. I just am looking to gather feedback from people who have more experience than me.

For versatility, I'd say go with a modeling combo; they've come a long way. For strictly versatility try out the Line6 stuff. They make an amp with Bogner now that sounded fucking great for the short time I played it. Take a look at the Vox Valvetronix series too, not bad at all.

For pure tone, I'd say always go with a tube amp unless something really catches your ear. Fender makes great tube amps but I don't think their processing is up to other companies that have been developing it more. Seems to me that Fender relies on their name and ancient products/reissues more than anything else.

Yes, 2X12 will give better bass response.

Stay away from the fucking Cyber Twin. FAR away.

Tubes are easier to overdrive, so people like them for pedals.
I've found, if you have the patience, and that says a lot, even a digital amp can sound any way you want it to.

I have a 10 watt marshall a 25 watt Fender and a 100 watt fender (Super six reverb...aka all tubes)
The 25 watt is almost as loud as the 100 watt and I can get more sounds out of it.

Yeah avoid the AVT and MG series.

And tubes aren't easier to overdrive. You have to get the power section into gain before you see what a tube amp really does. If you're playing a small club or in your bedroom, you'll definitely need a power brake/attenuator for all that.

Also, one 12ax7 in a lolhybridamplol doesn't mean fuckall.

Versatility= modeling combo
Sound quality= tubes

Last edited:
Stay away from the fucking Cyber Twin. FAR away.
I'm wondering why you say this? I thought the Cyber Twins were good amps?

Since you're comparing modeling vs. tubes I thought I'd mention that I play through a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Bogner design, 12AX7 preamp tubes, matched 6L6 power amp tubes), which has Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and a bunch of built-in effects. It sounds great, but control over the effects is limited. You can still use other floor pedals with it too, you just have to plug them into the rear Power Amp In jack, which bypasses the built-in modeling. Check it out at your local store, it's pretty good for the price.

I would actually rather use floor pedals for the most part, or use them in combination with the amp effects. I'd eventually like to replace the speakers but I'm not certain when that will happen, so it'd be nice to have something workable in the meantime.

I am torn though I was looking at hot rod deville 4x10 on ebay, maybe I could score a used one for like 500ish or so. Not sure. I'd really like to keep it under that but I'm not certain.

The 2x12 will be plenty loud enough for any use you will have in the near future. I wish i could push my 4x10 more but its already too loud. Even giggin it.

I'm wondering why you say this? I thought the Cyber Twins were good amps?

Since you're comparing modeling vs. tubes I thought I'd mention that I play through a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Bogner design, 12AX7 preamp tubes, matched 6L6 power amp tubes), which has Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and a bunch of built-in effects. It sounds great, but control over the effects is limited. You can still use other floor pedals with it too, you just have to plug them into the rear Power Amp In jack, which bypasses the built-in modeling. Check it out at your local store, it's pretty good for the price.

Amps I've owned:

Crate gfx15- first amp/still my practice amp

Marshall AVT275- good combo for what I wanted it to do (shred, out of that stage now). Pretty warm and hollow sound from the celestions and decent effects for a solid state.

Cyber twin head- Absolute fucking garbage. Worst money I ever spent. Terrible, dry sound no matter how long you fucked with each setting. It was capable of a few good sounds, but it was unresponsive and lifeless.

Fender Prosonic head- Sounded pretty good but it was a one trick pony. It had a rectifier and ran in 30w true class A. It was LOUD as hell and had a great dirty sound, but didn't have shit for a clean channel. It broke up so quickly that I'd only consider using it for the great dirty channel. You could switch it from 30w class A to 40w class AB to 60w solid state rectification all with a knob on the back. It had two cascading gain circuits and that amp breathed fire.

68 Bassman- A guy named Roy Blankenship used to make modded Bassmans and I was lucky enough to get one of his last ones. He dumped the tone stack on the bass side and made it a master volume amp. It gets a real nice Hendrixy kind of sound...reminds me alot of some Dinosaur Jr. stuff too. The guitar input stayed as the clean channel.

ANYWAY, that line 6 amp animism uses is awesome. Wayyy better than alot of the other modeling amps out here. It's definitely worth taking a look at in a store if you get the chance.

Damn. Another amp discussion :D

I have a bunch of amps, and it really depends on what type of music you're playing. I can relate my own experience here, which is basically playing in a fun hard rock band, playing in my wife's pop/indie band, and playing in my metal/hard rock act.

In the fun hard rock band, I played my Mesa Triaxis with a 2:90 and a 4x12. That was way, way, WAY too much for that band.

In my wife's band, I play a pedalboard with a couple of tubescreamers, a chorus and delay into the front of a Fender Blues Deluxe. It sounds awesome and is perfectly appropriate and sized for her band.

In the metal band, I'm currently running a Line6 AX2-212, which is a modeling 2x12. It works well enough, but I'm waiting on my 2:90 to be fixed so I can run it with my 4x12 again. That will work for the larger stages we play, and I am having a 2x12 cabinet built so I can run the rack with it.

Look, if you're just starting out: get a 1x12 combo. I recommend the Line6 Spider III. It has scads of power, sounds awesome, and you can actually carry it with one hand. A 2x12 combo is heavy as shit. That 1x12 will also work just fine in any club, large or small. If you're playing really heavy stuff, you can just have the soundman run it through the monitors for more level.

Also: I am keeping a close eye on Bugera amps. They are stupidly cheap copies of the 5150 line made in China by Behringer. Their combos seem pretty solid.

I don't know shit about 1x12s. I should probably hold off on something bigger though. I don't really have a "sound" either. I would theoretically like to be able to switch between a thicker distortion and just a light overdriven sound.

Which Line 6 spider III are you talking about? There seems to be a "family" of combo amps with that name... the 75? It looks ok, but I'm not certain.

The 75 is the one I'm talking about. I played one at the music store a while back. I was frankly impressed. Line6 stuff is great sounding - the quality isn't terribly great, but it sounds good.

If you have money to burn, though, by all means get yourself a Spider Valve. They sound great.

I forgot to mention that the Spider Valve 212 is a heavy beast for it's size, but at least it comes with wheels, unlike the 1x12.

Yeah I may just get the 75 and if I decide to go bigger I'll just sell it and get something bigger. Maybe a 2x12 or a 4x10 depending on which way I want to go.

You know, Crate now makes a 2x12 V33 combo that goes for....get this....$249.

I may have to buy one just because they're cheap.

I think a Kustom 72 Coupe would be a good decision. You can prolly get it for around $900 or maybe a bit lower if you haggle a bit. Bugera, and some crate tube stuff would fit great as well.

If I was building a pedalboard and just wanting a good tube combo to push my tone I would prolly go Orange, Mesa, or the new Double Cross by Kustom. :shrug:

Keep your eyes out for the Double Cross by Kustom in Combo form :D The double cross is the only amp I have heard in a long long time that I think I would replace my Dual Rectifier for.

here is a review of the Kustom Coupe I recommended. http://www.guitarworld.com/article/kustom_amps_36_coupe_and_72_coupe_combos

I am starting to like what Bugera is doing as well skul. You might look into warehouse speakers bro... I am starting to like some o their replacements and some of their speakers better than celestion and eminence. Check youtube for some links.

If the poster is handy at all he could buy a crate tube combo and drop replace the speakers with some of these and have a KILLER sound for cheap.

Last edited:
Anyone have a recommendation for amp cabinets? I just bought a Peavey Ultra Plus ( :D ) and I am going to need a cabinet at some point in the future to be able to run it (I can use my drummers B-52 at the moment). My guitar instructor had this advice:

"well marshall, mesa, peavey and randall all make great cabs....they are pricey but the last forever. Look for celestion vintage 30's and or G12T75 speakers....look for a straight cab insted of a slant...they tend to be easier to stacka and have a little more balls."

I play a lot of metal, but I also play funk and other stuff that doesn't have to be overdriven. Would a 2x12 with the Peavey be sufficient? Right now I am currently running an AVT150 through the B-52 and it sounds fine, but the Peavey is much more versatile and the cleans are a lot better. My drummer plays loudly, but I don't think that will be an issue with the Peavey since it can either be 60 or 120 watts. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Anyone have a recommendation for amp cabinets? I just bought a Peavey Ultra Plus ( :D ) and I am going to need a cabinet at some point in the future to be able to run it (I can use my drummers B-52 at the moment). My guitar instructor had this advice:

"well marshall, mesa, peavey and randall all make great cabs....they are pricey but the last forever. Look for celestion vintage 30's and or G12T75 speakers....look for a straight cab insted of a slant...they tend to be easier to stacka and have a little more balls."

I play a lot of metal, but I also play funk and other stuff that doesn't have to be overdriven. Would a 2x12 with the Peavey be sufficient? Right now I am currently running an AVT150 through the B-52 and it sounds fine, but the Peavey is much more versatile and the cleans are a lot better. My drummer plays loudly, but I don't think that will be an issue with the Peavey since it can either be 60 or 120 watts. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I am a big hater of Peavey cabs with Peavey speakers. If you want a Mesa Cab without some of the price you could grab the Rocktron 4x12 with Vintage 30's(heck their 4 channel tube head was made by Egnater and kicks some ass) or The Kustom 4x12 with all Vintage 30's Both are Birch and sound great.

Rocktron_4x12%20Cabinet.jpg
coupe412a_main.jpg

Of course you could also cut some corners the way I mentioned earlier... perhaps buy a cheaper 4x12 and drop replace the speakers with some stuff from warehouse speakers and pick up a couple 2x12 unloaded cabs for cheap and put the left over speakers in them for smaller practice rigs. Or just get a custom made birch cab unloaded and pop some warehouse speakers in there.

Last edited:
Back