AMD Ryzen X3D series cpus

bloodymess

Veteran XV
I'm definitely picking up one of these. People are saying hold out for the 7800x3d for gaming. Is that because of power for money? Or are they going to outperform the 7950x3d in gaming?

If money isn't a factor which one offers the best performance?

I'm definitely picking up one of these. People are saying hold out for the 7800x3d for gaming. Is that because of power for money? Or are they going to outperform the 7950x3d in gaming?

If money isn't a factor which one offers the best performance?

If I remember right the larger multi-CCD processors only have 3D cache on one of the CCD's. It is believed the 7800 will be a single die chip with 3D cache which simplifies CPU scheduling. Current chips out now are not handled by the OS properly so tasks that can benefit from the 3D cache can be ran on cores that does not have that cache available to it.

Go check Gamers Nexus or hardware unboxed to see.

Until Zen 3, no one cared about any of the 800 series chips in the zen lineups. I think what changed with Zen 3 was that more chips wound up being binned as 5800s and just made it to shelves. Pretty sure the 5700X that launched much later is just a binned 5800X that couldn't run stable at the higher wattage (65W vs 95W).

Then they launched the 5800X3D, the only 3D cache chip in Zen 3, and given the price/performance, it did gangbusters. It also beat out the 12th & 13th gen i9s IIRC which cost substantially more at the time.

Honestly, anyone saying WAIT FOR A 7800X3D is just hoping that that chip will be the sweet spot for price/performance like it had been in the previous gen. Unless you need to start building a PC RIGHT THIS FUCKING INSTANT, waiting to see if 7800X3D launches in Q2/Q3 might not be a bad idea.

Honestly, might not be a terrible idea to just skip Zen 4 right now. The 1st generation of memory controllers for DDR5 aren't too great yet. Guessing you can expect to see an improvement in that area much like what was seen between Zen 1 and Zen2/Zen+. Hell, even Zen+ Ryzen didn't always like ram that was too fast; something like the 2600X I had only supported up to 2833mhz DDR4 when 3600mhz-4000mhz modules existed. With Zen 2 and Zen3, they got that sorted out and the idea was to buy the fastest ram you could stomach buying on X400/X500 chipsets.

since most games can't use multiple threads the difference in the core count doesn't matter (from a gaming perspective).

the 7950x3d has larger caches so it would offer marginally better game performance than the 7800x3d.

i doubt you'd see any difference between the two chips running games.

I believe you are right but I think the handling of which to use has been improved and the 7950 has 200 points higher on the frequency pf the vcached portion. I just see alot of people in comments sections saying they are going to wait but I believe that is price/performance related.

Reviews are out today. 7800 has been simulated.

Ryzen 7950X3D with One CCD Disabled - The 7800X3D Preview - Temperatures | TechPowerUp

7950X vs 7800x is 170W vs 105W.. to replicate that difference in power consumption would take some tinkering. A quick search through their article doesn't mention this difference in power consumption... which makes me think all of these numbers they're posting should be taken with a grain of salt.

since most games can't use multiple threads the difference in the core count doesn't matter (from a gaming perspective).

the 7950x3d has larger caches so it would offer marginally better game performance than the 7800x3d.

Exactly. Also amd :no:

The difference is the first CCD has access to 3d cache and the second does not. If game thread(s) is executed on second CCD there is a gap in performance. This is the reason for the CPU scheduler concerns. Maybe thats fixed now....all I know is the first benchmarks I saw the 5800x3d out performed the 7000 series x3d in many benchmarks due to this.

Each CCD has independent local cache.

Back