AMD Radeon R9 290X

TAA WAR

Veteran XV
AnandTech Portal | The Radeon R9 290X Review

59281.png

You bros getting one?

"uber" is just a stupid name for "run fans slightly faster".

The card runs 95C and can hit that mark is a matter of minutes, once it does it'll throttle and drop the core clock speed to try to maintain temps no higher than 95C. If you benchmark the card from an idle state and the benchmark runs for a short enough time you might not catch the card dropping off in performance, under regular longer gaming sessions I bet you start to see a rash of complaints about games lagging or hitching. Either way AMD didn't do anyone any favors by putting such a hot running graphics card out with such a weak cooler.

This is "quite" mode

"uber" mode.

Last edited:
"uber" is just a stupid name for "run fans slightly faster".

The card runs 95C and can hit that mark is a matter of minutes, once it does it'll throttle and drop the core clock speed to try to maintain temps no higher than 95C. If you benchmark the card from an idle state and the benchmark runs for a short enough time you might not catch the card dropping off in performance, under regular longer gaming sessions I bet you start to see a rash of complaints about games lagging or hitching. Either way AMD didn't do anyone any favors by putting such a hot running graphics card out with such a weak cooler.

This is "quite" mode

"uber" mode.

Yea, no one should buy these AMD stock cards. Wait for the custom ones other companies come out with. They usually have better fans and performance.

as long as you're drawing a consistent framerate and have the right type of monitor, you can achieve the same effects of gsync with lightboost (that is less motion blur): LightBoost HOWTO | Blur Busters

And if you don't wanna spend $500+ on a video card Gsynch has the possibility of making midrange and lower end cards a much better bargin. Some of the industries biggest names seemed impressed by what it does on lower end rigs. If they are willing to put their names out there it might be something worthwhile to look at. Only time will tell though. I am hopefull.

And if you don't wanna spend $500+ on a video card Gsynch has the possibility of making midrange and lower end cards a much better bargin. Some of the industries biggest names seemed impressed by what it does on lower end rigs. If they are willing to put their names out there it might be something worthwhile to look at. Only time will tell though. I am hopefull.

yea, it all depends on how you play your games. I use an older mid-range card (AMD Radeon 6850) but play every game on low and get consistent framerates. therefore I wouldn't need gsync (which would be +100bucks tacked on to my current monitor) since lightboost is a free alternative.

also raises the question if it would be better to spend that $100 on a better card which would produce more frames and use lightboost with it if you want to reduce motion blur. for people who like their graphics and upgrade mid-range graphics cards every few years, gsync probably is better in the long run.

Back