Airport Security question..

Bomberman

Veteran X
I'm flying to Chicago tomorrow to visit my brother for Thanksgiving. I've recently purchased a multitrack audio recorder, and I want to bring it with me so we can record some music. However, I want to bring the recorder, a microphone, and the necessary cables along with me on a carry on. I don't want to risk the recorder getting damaged, so I don't want to check in my bag. Will TSA freak out if I bring these on my carry-on? Are they legally allowed to take it from me if they don't know what it is? Would I be better off just packing it securely and risking damaging a $250 item?

For reference, here's what they look like:

Fostex-MR-8-mkII-digitaler-8-Spur-Multitracker.jpg

samson_R11.jpg

xlr-cable.jpg

Call the airline and find out. My guess is that airport security will throw a shit fit when you try to carry it on.

Of course, running it through the x ray machine should be enough to prove it's not a bomb.

worst case they will make you take it out and put it in a seperate bin like a laptop.

or they may search your bag by hand or whatever.

just make sure you have time to be searched.

it shouldnt be a problem.

Who could have predicted a guy named "bomberman" asking about airport security on TW?

Haha, you beat me to the punch on that one. I was just about to ask if his ticket was in the name "Bomberman"

If you want to carry it on, you probably could, but they'd fuck with you about it for a while, depending on which goofball TSA guy/gal you're contending with.

Just pack it in bubble wrap/whatever and check it.

Actually, you may be able to take it in your carry on.

TSA is used to seeing lots of cables. I bring a phone charger, camera charger, headphones, and CD player.

You're also allowed to have a camera bag or laptop type case. That mixer could fit in a lap top case if you have one. All the cables and mic would go in your carry on. TSA won't freak out. The bag will go thru X-ray, the human will look at it, realize there's no bomb, and let it go on.

tsa don't give a shit about electronics. I've taken 2 laptops, camera, mp3 player, psp, external HD's, and all sorts of other shit before. its amusing to look at the giant mass of cables/circuit boards on their tv screen.

I have carried mics, cables, mixers and rec equipment on board many times without incident. A few times i've been required to take it out and explain what it is but i've never been denied.

Having said that I Have heard of people having trouble. Wrap it REALLY well and check it bro if you want to be sure.

there was a dude with a four-channel right in front of me last week in the airport and they didnt give a DAMN about it.

quit worrying.

You're going to be fine. You might have to explaining what it is and what it does but they'll let you bring it on board no problem if it's small enough. The key is to remain calm and polite if they start to question you.

I travel on a monthly basis with a special kind of digital camera worth several tousands that looks A LOT funkier that this and I've never had any problem. Most of the time they don't care about what it is so long as it's not on the banned items list.

Max

Back