Airline question - Cross-Atlantic Flight

Razer

Contributor
Veteran X
Does anyone have any experience flying long distances in Economy class? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a plane ticket to London, and I've got a decision to make. There are two airlines with reasonable ticket prices: American Airlines and Virgin Atlantic. American Airlines is cheaper, but Travelocity mentions something about "VIP Coach" on Virgin Atlantic. I'm wondering if the 'VIP" treatment is worth $70 extra.

Normally I would just take the cheapest flight, but on a 6-7 hour flight I'm thinking comfort might be an issue.

Virgin is supposed to have a nicer coach service. It's all going to suck though. Depending on how long your legs are you WILL be uncomfortable. I fly the cheapest always because my legs are so long that the extra inch and a half won't make a difference.

I imagine the "VIP" label just means that they have maybe a little extra leg room or one extra snack or something. It's only 6-7 hours, not like you're flying from the Pacific.

I've taken a flight from detroit to Japan. Didn't really notice the difference since we had a huge t.v. playing movies the whole time, and I'm sure yours will too. Just spend most of the time sleeping and it's no problem.

Razer said:
Does anyone have any experience flying long distances in Economy class? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a plane ticket to London, and I've got a decision to make. There are two airlines with reasonable ticket prices: American Airlines and Virgin Atlantic. American Airlines is cheaper, but Travelocity mentions something about "VIP Coach" on Virgin Atlantic. I'm wondering if the 'VIP" treatment is worth $70 extra.

Normally I would just take the cheapest flight, but on a 6-7 hour flight I'm thinking comfort might be an issue.

VIP Coach is like 6 more inches of leg room. =\

www.seatguru.com

It lists the dimensions of the seats (as well as which seats are good/bad) for any given airline's aircraft.

So either call up Virgin and AA and ask them the seat dimensions for VIP coach and coach or ask them what plane you'd be flying on and check the website for good seats.

last time i went to europe, i took the red eye

it was awesome, i got to lay across 5 seats and sleep cause the plane was empty enough to do so

Baby Bew said:
www.seatguru.com

It lists the dimensions of the seats (as well as which seats are good/bad) for any given airline's aircraft.

So either call up Virgin and AA and ask them the seat dimensions for VIP coach and coach or ask them what plane you'd be flying on and check the website for good seats.

Thank you so much. That site is great

I'm about to fly from Norfolk VA to D.C., then to London. And on the way back, London to Madrid, Madrid to D.C., D.C. to Norfolk VA . UberJet lag.

My flight from Baltimore to Abu Dhabi (and back) was 11 hours, with a stop in Turkey going and Ireland coming back.

I slept most of it.

Don't underestimate just how uncomfortable a coach seat becomes after 10 hours of sitting in it.

I've flown to London a few times, and the only way I was ever able to deal with the lack of comfort was to get really drunk. (which is easy as hell to do on a jet)

Eh. Look for a night flight. I took a night flight from NYC to Germany and there was nobody on the flight and i had 3 seats to stretch out on and sleep. It was AA. Helps with jet lag too, at least I thought so.

On the way back from Germany, on the other hand, sucked a fatty. It was during the day and PACKED to capacity, and I was in the middle seat and had diarrhea. Seats werent bad, but I was too concerned with my rocket diarrhea at 30k feet than to be comfortable.

lol, 7 hours, short haul where I'm from

Friday
5 May 2006
5:20 pm
Depart Auckland International Airport, Terminal I on Emirates
Flight EK 433 (Boeing 777-300)
Economy Class Seating
Flying Time: 21 hours Meals Served: Meal Status - Confirmed
Flight has 2 stops/transits.
Saturday
06 May
Arrive Dubai International Airport where you will be required to complete Customs and Immigration

well this week's flight was just as bad for me. 40 minute flight. I couldn't even finish my beverage before it was time to land. :( same as 6 hours.

VIP Coach
You get to board faster (your own line)
Special bar/rest area
You sit in the front of the plane, (first on; first out)

dev said:
lol, 7 hours, short haul where I'm from

Depart Auckland International Airport, Terminal I on Emirates

haha a kiwi! my best friend is from nz, he lives in the states, but usually goes to nz once a year.

one of these years im going to have to go with him

P Masta Flex said:
last time I went I flew virgin atlantic and it was ok

the flight attendents were hot

Indeed. I flew VA once as well, and yes, the flight attendants were in fact hot. Ha.

I still prefer British Airways (which apparently isn't an option in this case) for flying into Heathrow. Then again, I flew business class on BA which is much better than economy, so...

Economy is economy, despite the bells and whistles. VA's version gives you some do-dads etc., and may have a slightly larger seat/legroom than AA, but the difference is going to be small.

Have a good trip!

:)

Back