[ADVICE] Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS vs X800 PRO

RazorJack

Contributor
Veteran XX
I have currently the AGP ATI X800 Pro card, and I am not willing to upgrade my AGP motherboard (socket 754) to also spend even more money on a top of the line PCI-E card. I'm finding even on low, BF2 lags in medium-large servers (32-64). I am looking at the 'eVGA GeForce 7800 GS CO Superclocked / 256MB GDDR3' from TigerDirect. Its $400~ CDN.

Will I see better performance?

Razor, I recently purchased the 6800 GS CO 256 AGP. I upgraded from a 9800 Pro, and the image quality and performance jump was astounding. At the time I was running an nforce2 Ultra chipset with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+. Go for it man. In all seriousness, i'm not ready to make the jump to PCI-e, and the 6800 GS is an amazing card, even before I unlocked the closed pipelines and shaders. Plus, I have read alot of good reviews on the 7800GS. The GS series cards are great. But don't purchase from Tigerdirect. Newegg is running the card for $309 US. Hope this helps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50001402+1069609639&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=48

Last edited:
Razor, I don't see or can't see your profile if it lists your PC's specs(my bad if its available), but if you could post them, that would help allot in any recommendation and help you may receive...
I do wonder with what you are now running(ATI X800 pro) that your performance issues(possible bottleneck) may be related to your other existing hardware, like amount of RAM Memory, etc., etc.; so could we have you spec profile, thanks..

I assume all drivers and firmware are updated and you have a clean machine(no malware and related stuff) and you are running minimal backround apps!!?? Also, what kind of broadband: cable or dsl and what brand of router and are you using wireless or not??

Last edited:
Razor, How much RAM do you have? I had choppy frame rates until I had about ~1.5GB of RAM installed.

My Specs:
AMD 3000+ S939
X800XL 256MB PCI-E
2GB DDR400 CL3
SoundBlaster Audigy2

Gee that's (GS 7800) a lot of card for a 754 system - I know cause I have a 3300+ Sempron and have been looking to upgrade my 9600 card.

Here's a table from Tom's: This test was done with an Athlon 4000+
http://images.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/image011.gif

Which shows a substantial impoovement for guy upgrading froma 96/9800 card - provided you have a cpu that can push it all.

Dunno about the 7800 GS tho. Heck that's a lot of card. Unless your running higher than 4000+.

Maybe thats the way I should go... 1gig of ram.

That card is impossible to find almost anywhere.

hilo said:
Razor, I recently purchased the 6800 GS CO 256 AGP. I upgraded from a 9800 Pro, and the image quality and performance jump was astounding. At the time I was running an nforce2 Ultra chipset with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+. Go for it man. In all seriousness, i'm not ready to make the jump to PCI-e, and the 6800 GS is an amazing card, even before I unlocked the closed pipelines and shaders. Plus, I have read alot of good reviews on the 7800GS. The GS series cards are great. But don't purchase from Tigerdirect. Newegg is running the card for $309 US. Hope this helps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50001402+1069609639&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=48

Newegg doesnt ship to canuck land.

RazorJack said:
Maybe thats the way I should go... 1gig of ram.
At least 1GB Ram memory is pretty much a must now-a-days so you can't go wrong there at all and you will definitely see an improvement on just that level... If you go with AMD on near future new gen mobo, it can use the DDR400 PC3200 'if' that is the kind you use...

Check with you manufacturers mobo specs and also the Memory Manufacturers requirements when you buy new ram memory so it all works together and in the right amount...

Let us know how it goes... ;)

Back