Absinthe off the internet

It was determined at UVAlan that it's not worth it. Just way too many fucking parts for pretty much nothing it promises.

It was determined at UVAlan that it's not worth it. Just way too many fucking parts for pretty much nothing it promises.

i remember some long thread here about absinthe, are you sure you got the good stuff?

i've had some craaazy experiences while drinking absinthe, i don't know about the 'promises' you've heard but it sure lived up to its reputation to me. Sure, its not LSD or something, but what i had was definitely a lot more potent than normal alcohol and the buzz/effect was fairly different. I dunno what kind of absinthe it was - something a buddy brought back from europe years ago.

I think it's one of those things you should try at least once, but not anything i'd want to do on a regular basis. In fact, it's probably something i'd never drink again.... but it was definitely worth it at the time.

Anyone know any good sites to get real absinthe for a good price?

Regulations
Currently, most countries do not have a legal definition of absinthe (unlike, for example, Scotch whisky or cognac). Therefore, manufacturers can label a product "absinthe" or "absinth", regardless of whether it matches the traditional definition. Due to many countries never banning absinthe, not every country has regulations specifically governing it.

[edit] Australia and New Zealand
Bitters can contain a maximum 35 mg/kg thujone, other alcoholic beverages can contain a maximum 10 mg/kg[23] of thujone. In Australia import and sales requires a special permit.

[edit] Canada
In Canada, liquor laws are the domain of the provincial governments. British Columbia has no limits on thujone content; Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia and Quebec allow 10 mg/kg thujone, and all other provinces do not allow the sale of absinthe containing thujone (although, in Saskatchewan, one can purchase any liquor available in the world upon the purchase of a minimum of one case, usually 12 bottles x 750ml or 8 x 1L). The individual liquor boards must approve each product before it may be sold on shelves, and currently, only Hill's Absinth, Elie-Arnaud Denoix, Pernod, Absente, Versinthe and, in limited release, La Fée Absinthe are approved. Other brands may appear in the future.

[edit] European Union
The European Union permits a maximum thujone level of 10 mg/kg in alcoholic beverages with more than 25% ABV, and 35 mg/kg in alcohol labeled as bitters.[24] Member countries regulate absinthe production within this framework. Sale of absinthe is permitted in all EU countries unless they further regulate it.

The end of the Green Fairy (1910): Critical poster by Albert Gantner illustrating the absinthe ban in Switzerland.
[edit] France
In addition to EU standards, products explicitly called "absinthe" cannot be sold in France, although they can be produced for export. Absinthe is now commonly labeled as spiritueux à base de plantes d'absinthe ("wormwood-based spirits"). France also regulates Fenchone, a chemical in the herb fennel, to 5 mg/l.[25] This makes many brands of Swiss absinthe illegal without reformatting.

[edit] Switzerland
To be legally sold, absinthe must be distilled and either uncolored or naturally colored. In Switzerland, the sale and production of absinthe was prohibited from 1908 to 2005.

[edit] United States
According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, "The importation of Absinthe and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain Artemisia absinthium is prohibited."[26] This runs contrary to FDA regulations, which allow Artemisia species in foods or beverages, but those that contain Artemisia species, white cedar, oak moss, tansy or Yarrow, must be thujone free.[27] Other herbs that contain thujone have no restrictions. For example, sage and sage oil (which can be almost 50% thujone[21]) are on the FDA's list of substances generally recognized as safe.[28]

The prevailing consensus of interpretation of United States law and regulations among American absinthe connoisseurs is that it is probably legal to purchase such a product for personal use in the U.S. It is prohibited to sell items meant for human consumption which contain thujone derived from Artemisia species. (This derives from a Food and Drug Administration regulation, as opposed to a DEA regulation.) Customs regulations specifically forbid the importation of "absinthe". Absinthe can be and occasionally is seized by United States Customs if it appears to be for human consumption and can be seized inside the U.S. with a warrant.[29][30]

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of regular wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States and does not contain thujone.

[edit] Vanuatu
The Absinthe (Prohibition) Act 1915, passed in the New Hebrides, has never been repealed, and is included in the 1988 Vanuatu consolidated legislation, and contains the following all-encompassing restriction: The manufacture, importation, circulation and sale wholesale or by retail of absinthe or similar liquors in Vanuatu shall be prohibited.[31]

you can't buy premade absinthe that is any good. it lacks the hallucinigenic properties, it just gets you drunk really fast

buy a absinthe kit off the net for like $20 and you can make two liters of the shit easily. where a small bottle premade will cost you $100+

Back