A Tribes 3 Essay (long post)

BinderAJ

Veteran X
Since we are trying to guess who is developing the next installment of our favorite type of game, I took the liberty to write a little about it.

This post is not intended to demand or ask for specific features on the new game, this are my personal suggestions about what I think, and have seen is fun, within the general concept of tribal warfare.

Every flamer or supporting poster is welcome as this is, and will always be, a very vocal community willing to say everything and make sure you got it right.

First of all, so you can have an idea from where my ideas come from, I’m a player who started playing T2 (I bought it legally) and after a year decided to try T1 since so many people still hang to it and kept saying it was better....so I got a copy (I legally bought this one too) and started playing....needless to say that I liked BOTH games as much, neither one was better than the other...BOTH have the essence of what we could call "powered-armor" warfare (think of them as flavors or variations of the same subject). I haven’t tried T:AA yet, but I lurk on the http://www.tribesaa.com/ forums reading what people is saying and enjoying from that version...and as far as I can tell the basic elements are there, and people who started playing T:AA is now looking to try T1 and T2. With all this background in my mind I feel confident that what I have to say is not shut_your_mouth_and_go_kill_yourself kind of ideas.

So lets start....

Does it matter who is developing the game?, no as long as key members of the community have an open channel to them (in my mind pops up the people that were present on the tribal council) and they stay true to basic elements of the tribes franchise (don’t ask me what are those, I know they exist but I can pinpoint them here)

Does it matter how long it takes?, yes, we are all eager to see the next sequel, but will not pressure developers to rush an unfinished product on the market. A reasonable time could be 2 years from now.

--Playing by myself

Tribes is a traditional massive on-line multiplayer game, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have a storyline, a good but perhaps small single player element and some form of training to newbs testing the gameplay for the first time is required....or soon plenty of people will feel frustrated for getting killed by veterans.

Examples of what could be done are the intro sequences of HalfLife and its spin-offs (Opposing force, Blue Shift and Counter-Strike) those were guided basic movement and shoot training courses, and to be honest I enjoyed them....it felt like school and I was discovering things on my own.

Take a look at T1 training missions, simple but right to the point....good as BASIC guidance. Then take a look at T2 training missions, small and kind of interesting storyline of a tribal warrior. We can all argue that both lacked several elements, but the good elements of both examples can be combined in Tribes3; a good training course that teaches you everything about armors, weapons and packs (even vehicles)....and then a small 10 mission single player storyline that helps you sharpen what you were taught. I know that T:AA has a 10+ mission training storyline....but from what I’ve heard people were a bit disappointed (if you recall most of the PS2 games are single player...so that is part of the explanation).

Example of community efforts on this area are T1 Hakuryu’s training missions and T2 Codename:lonewolf singleplayer missions.

--Armors, Weapons, Packs, Deployables and all those gadgets

There is little to change here, the different combinations of loadouts and weapon capabilities will always provide players a good sense of diversity.

As far as I can see, the armors should stay the same (perhaps you can change the look if you want).....but the basic 3 types are mainstay now, so no point changing them.

Weapons, well...I don’t know if more can be invented or designed, we can even think of removing certain weapons...but things are pretty solid here.

Packs, yes this is a place where imagination can help a lot, I would love to see the deployable jammer back on the game (perfect for camping sites). This is certainly an area where game designers can feel free to add things (as long as they are useful thou ;) ).

A good part of taking Tribes3 as a continuation of a tradition is to take each of the items named here and analyze them, check how people use them, find balance...does it need more punch?…should it consume less or more energy?...how many of those grenades can one armor carry?...the look of the gadgets can change (as changed the look of the spinfusor from T1 to T2)...but the basic purpose behind the trigger should remain.

--Bases and fixed assets

A little gray area, many people think T2 was a step backwards on base design, no elevators, and small bases compared to the huge monoliths of T1.
This is something that needs to be think through very carefully, these structures are after all, what the tribalmen could call home and we certainly enjoy a nice SAFE house.
Design options here are limitless....do keep in mind that by now turrets, sensors, generators and inventory stations are part of what teams take into account when designing strategies for a given match on that particular scenario.

--Moving through, jetpack, skiing and Vehicles

Jetpacks and skiing are a given...and if the devs guys don’t consider those...ill personally make the journey from Chile (where I live right now) to Marweas house and place a nuke there.

Vehicles, not of much help in T1, but still with plenty of uses. VERY important in T2 but still somewhat unbalanced (don’t know about T:AA here). Designers should consider taking the basic ideas (a transport, a fighter, a bomber, a tank, a cycle, a deployable base) and improve upon them....I can only say that if you are placing a havoc on the next game and that vehicle has a tailgunner position then for god's sake place a swiveling turret manned by a player there. Transports were always considered one way trips...but no one said they could be sitting ducks. Perhaps new vehicles are options....consider paying a visit to TAC/TAC2, they improved a lot on the concept of vehicles and its certainly an enjoyable mod.

--Maps, Scenarios, eye candy

You know your job here, just keep us with our jaws on the floor with the beautiful landscapes.

--Community and main lobby features

The browser, tmail and irc are excellent ideas to add to the game so they should be present on Tribes3, one thing thou...the irc should be open....let people who has the game and those who doesn’t share the same irc room.

The browser for the player is good as is now, but the browser for a tribe should have more options. I cant think of anything right now...but I think it needs more (sorry about that)

Option tabs that I think should be present on the game

On-line (game) – Local (game) – Browser – Mail – Chat – Settings – Scripts – Mods

Yes, scripts and mods, a tab where you know which clientside scripts you have installed and which clientside mods you can play...so you don’t need to exit the game and start it from another shortcut on your desktop (exception to this if the mod is a total conversion much like Tribes1/2-rpg, starcraft, stargate and that type of mods which alter everything)

--Scripting, Modding, Mapping and Editing

Only one tribes version cant be modded, T:AerialAssault and that’s because it’s a PS2 game. Nonetheless the Inevitable guys (the T:AA dev team) have managed to create a dedicated server version of the game that can be run on a Windows PC. That version is not sponsored by sierra nor it has any kind of support...but gave the T:AA community a huge boost since they can have their clan matches and pub servers not depend on PS2 machines connected by cable all day.

Aside from that version of tribes, the modding+scripting+mapping have always been an important part. Players who are unhappy about the features of the game can change them to their liking and release it to the public without any license problems. I couldn’t live if Tribes3 didn’t have the possibility to change the skin of my armor and weapon.

So what’s the deal with this topic?....well...my only proposal in this area should be what Firaxis did with Civ3, release the game AND LATER release an advanced editor, a toolset that helps fans build up scripts, maps and mods. The editor could even be released AFTER the dev guys have tried a few patches on the game itself. An important part of the patching in this case will require a very detailed description of what changed on the last patch, and if any functions or procedure have changed parameters or the return value structure.

--Dedicated servers, admin functions

This is an area from what I know little of, but speaking from what is seen out there, leave this to the community. Include the basic server admin functions and capabilities, but let the scripters and modders change the way the dedicated server behaves to their liking. PizzaMOD, BWadminMOD, Tfadmin (tiny fishie’s), Hvadmin...and soooo many options to choose from, built upon the basic capabilities of the dedicated server structure, that is not worthy to ask the development guys to dig much upon this...just make sure that it behaves right, can use dual processor power and memory efficiently and can be administrated through a remote connection.

--Final word

As you can see this is a long post, and I have tried to be as neutral as possible, giving examples taken from the community of all Tribes games present out there.

We all care for the next tribes games, many of us don’t want to be disappointed, many more of us are just bored right now and looking to try another thing, a variation something that spices up our gaming life. Tribes has always been something spicy....steep learning curve, plenty of possibilities in game, scripting, modding, whatever you can think about is here...T2TV...yes TV!!...watching a match in real-time...god....where on earth would you have such an outstanding utility and enjoy games like InvictusAeternum vs Rapture....i would even pay money (not to take seriously) to see Team5150 play against Imperial Elite for the last time.

We all have hopes high on the sky right now, but the only thing we can ask for, and have the right to, is ask for a game that is fun to play with and maintains the essence of what tribes is.

Hoping this was an enjoyable reading

Regards
BinderAJ

[KY] Kentucky Rogues

no offense, but i really hope they listen to people who were/are in the better clans more than the people who generally werent as good but like to write long posts.

tribes 1 with updated graphics, better balance, and more geared towards the sport mentality

or at least make that an integrated gametype called "CTF-Sport" or something

or else all hope is lost and some other company will eventually get the idea that lots of money could be made by something as sportlike as competitive T1, and sierra will have long bitten the dust because they made shitty ass games geared towards total fuckwits

no, not t1 with updated graphics. that is NOT what we need.

we need something very similar to that but with new, original ideas to improve gameplay. if there's nothing new in the game, then what good is it? i'm not saying something radical, but throw in a 'twist' per se...just make it unique.

i don't know what "twist" you're looking for, but i'm sure it could be accomodated by one big game with a few different gametypes

i don't think you understand me when i say "sportlike"

tribes is like a sport to the 5th power. if people can have fun playing baseball on the SAME FIELD EVERY DAY, i'm sure there are plenty of people who can play a tribes-like game on DIFFERENT FIELDS all the time.

the main point is that it comes down to the people you have on your team, and who plays better, like in a sport.

stupid crap like vehicles and powerful turrets take the game out of the hands of the hardcore sporty players and give it to people who want a war-type strategy game, which is what tribes was for 3 MONTHS before people realized how much better the game could be.

Giga hits the nail on the head.

That's EXACTLY what Tribes 3 needs to be. Less 'Tactical Squad Combat', more 'Really Fun Online Sport'.

GigaFool said:
i don't know what "twist" you're looking for, but i'm sure it could be accomodated by one big game with a few different gametypes

i don't think you understand me when i say "sportlike"

tribes is like a sport to the 5th power. if people can have fun playing baseball on the SAME FIELD EVERY DAY, i'm sure there are plenty of people who can play a tribes-like game on DIFFERENT FIELDS all the time.

the main point is that it comes down to the people you have on your team, and who plays better, like in a sport.

stupid crap like vehicles and powerful turrets take the game out of the hands of the hardcore sporty players and give it to people who want a war-type strategy game, which is what tribes was for 3 MONTHS before people realized how much better the game could be.

sup :wave:

Um so yah... he's right. If you want a strategy game with vehicles and mad gun emplacements, play BF1942. That is EXACTLY what that game was made for and it is extremely good at it. Tribes is all about being a star player tho... that fast cap factor. That awesome LD factor. That HoF you need to send good HO to take out.

T2 is all about turrets and deploying and vehicles and all that crap that takes the game out of the hands of the skilled player that plays the game for the rush. It is half Tribes, half BF1942... and that sort of hybrid nonsense is what caused it to *KINDA* fail. I know some ppl still play it and like it alot... but u gotta admit that the fact that there are still as many ppl playing T1 as there are now... 4... wait 5? yrs later is a testament to both how powerful the game is from a sports-action style perspective, and how completely inadequate T2 is *FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE*

I was thinking about t3 the other day and ways that I'd like to see it different than the previous two games but more along the sport aspect.

I was thinking there could be a gametype where there's just one flag. You've gotta take the flag and bring it back to your goal. I'm not talking about like tr2 or the like. Just like CTF, except there's only 1 flag.

I was also watching a rerun of that old cartoon "Centurions" and I got to thinking about specialized packs (also from the lucius thread). I think it would be cool to have packs define certain roles.
Examples (heavily influenced by centurions)
- glider pack, at certain speed pack will pop out wings and you get a glide effect.

- ground pack: less jetting ability, but you run a lot faster and can ski faster.

- water pack: not as good on land or air but you kick ass in the water (would depend on map)

I'd like to see more specialization.

I think the way the specialization worked in Tribes 1 was perfect. It allowed for a lot of different roles without the need for a lot of packs geared towards that many specific roles.

I think there needs to be more room for innovation from the player, and not forced through the game.

T3 should be T2 classic with a bit more tweaking and speed.

P.S. anyone that feels the need to bitch about T2 classic compared to T1 and has never played classic, please STFU in advance. If you've never played it you have absolutely no grounds to judge it based on T2 base. The two are like apples and oranges.

Merlock said:
T2 is all about turrets and deploying and vehicles and all that crap that takes the game out of the hands of the skilled player that plays the game for the rush. It is half Tribes, half BF1942... and that sort of hybrid nonsense is what caused it to *KINDA* fail. I know some ppl still play it and like it alot... but u gotta admit that the fact that there are still as many ppl playing T1 as there are now... 4... wait 5? yrs later is a testament to both how powerful the game is from a sports-action style perspective, and how completely inadequate T2 is *FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE*
wsup. it's obvious you dont play t2 (or havent since the year it was released) cuz you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Back