60" tv. 3d or not 3d?

MotB Chaos

Veteran XV
Looking for a 60" led TV. Trying to stay under $2k. Not sure about going 3d. Does anyone actually use 3d? It's ONLY for movies, right? Anyone have a good reason to do it?

seems like most large led tv's are 3d

personally i think its stupid and wouldnt pay $1 for it

Well, 3D actually does have a reasonably good use, and that is having two screens of game footage for multiaplayer Xbox360 or PS3 games. If that's something you're into. The 3D on some of them can be kind of exploited, so that you can see one screen with a pair of glasses, and then the other with the other pair of glasses on the same screen.

It's pretty fucking cool, actually. It lets you utilize the entire screen of the TV for both players at the same time.

Whether that's something you're interested in or not, no fucking idea, other than that, it's kind of a gimmick, depends on if you want to watch 3D films in your home or not.

here's the thing though.. the 3d tvs out right now are also the best 2d sets as well. Go 3d if you care about iq

It's ONLY for movies, right?
Sports. Imagine any shot from behind the pitcher or quarterback looking 10x cooler. Concert perspective looks like you're in the seats.

Walmart has dropped the price on the Vizio VX03 32" 3D 1080p to $398 and it honestly has the best picture I've seen on anything at that resolution. It has the passive 3D glasses that don't require batteries.

here's the thing though.. the 3d tvs out right now are also the best 2d sets as well. Go 3d if you care about iq

I think he's right

any good regular 2d TV is probably going to have 3D as well, so there's no real way to NOT pay for it... (I haven't looked very much, but I did a brief scan of the offerings a few weeks ago and that's the impression I got)

Back