[USA Income Tax] Different rates for different states.

perhaps people in those States can console themselves with a $24K freezer filled w/ $12 pint ice cream

caring about the poor really pays off you know

35575396-0-image-a-5_1605138319697.jpg

Thanks for the explanations. It reads like mostly it evens out however maybe some of the more liberal states tax a bit more to make it more attractive for freeloaders, and maybe down south things are a little less taxed? In movies and TV etc. stuff it seems like people go to retire in Florida or up at Maine.

I had the chance to go to Dubai mid 90's for a construction boom. Lots of dudes I worked with went. They reckoned the pay was massive and taxes were nill? They must sting people somehow. Are rent/houses/bills/shopping etc super expensive?

Last edited:
.... Juggs says stupid shit ad nauseum and you pick this verifiably true statement to call out?
I challenge you to find a post by him where he said something intelligent. I've been searching for months but have come up short.

Thanks for the explanations. It reads like mostly it evens out however maybe some of the more liberal states tax a bit more to make it more attractive for freeloaders, and maybe down south things are a little less taxed? In movies and TV etc. stuff it seems like people go to retire in Florida or up at Maine.

I had the chance to go to Dubai mid 90's for a construction boom. Lots of dudes I worked with went. They reckoned the pay was massive and taxes were nill? They must sting people somehow. Are rent/houses/bills/shopping etc super expensive?

not many people want to retire to Maine; they are looking to minimize tax liability, not add to it (they rank #35 out of 50 for year 2023)

two things from the jump:

1 - your home Nation's expat laws

2 - host Nation's expat / visa laws

in the US, you have to be gone 11 of 12 months to get tax exclusions

read more here: Foreign Earned Income Exclusion | Internal Revenue Service

The only value this festering shithole has is reading the comedic stupidity of a moron

If you're looking for a good place to live, I'd just get a spreadsheet and include everything that matters.

-Racial demographics
-% of income spent on housing Vs national average
-Crime stats
-Wage stats
-Tax info

More beyond that. You get the idea. Your view of an area really becomes clear then. Also keeps you attune to things that really matter with living so you dont get tricked by a beautiful area that may be full of crime ect.

The south is simply more "free." Less regulations in general. If you stay away from blacks the south is a good place. Most services in the south cost less too. Pizza delivery, the cost of a P.O. Box, haircut, you just find all these things costing less money. I can't stress it enough to stay away from blacks though. It must be the number 1 thing you look up in an area you are interested in. You can't even buy gasoline around them.

It's probably a better idea to move to a place that has undepleted groundwater. The USA has nearly depleted its groundwater supply, especially in the midwest cornbelt states. Agriculture uses far more than can be replenished. In Iowa for example, wells used to have water 20' deep, now you have to dig 200' to hit water. The Mississippi River, our maritime superhighway, is drying up! Food is going to get a helluva lot harder to grow and transport.

Illinois being one of the exceptions. Tolls all over the place around Chicago. Hard to avoid in some situations.

Almost 10k in property tax (our house is worth about 450-500k.. 6.25% sales tax and 4.95% income tax.

Move from my county to Cook county (Chicago and property, sales, gas, etc) all goes up. I cannot afford to live there.

Most of my family went to Florida and a few to Tennessee and their cost of living is definitely lower and they can afford more on lower incomes. Hope to move down south some day.
INteresting, you're property taxes are easily triple what's here in Ontario but our sales tax is 13% our income tax (fed and prov) are about 15% on the first $50K, 20% after that and maybe 25% after $90K.

Back