I'm a winner and I'm a real nice guy dont take it from me

Check me out i'm a winner!

blog post

Lovin the new job. Set my own schedule and everything. Lots of driving, getting a fuck awesome tan but it's a little farmers tan and the left arm is darkest due to said driving.

Seeing some nice tranquil places though around central texas. Lakes and shit.
car has no AC so that blows, and the fucking wind that has been plaguing us for months still hasn't let up. Which means my hair looks goofy, my ear drums sometimes hurt, and getting tossed around on the road and on roofs is ...fun.

fucking wind ruined my rowing stuff too. FUCK YOU WIND
also flash fires and blah blah blah

bring the rain, bring the pain

you on a quest?

i'd wonder what kind of quest i would be on

lets brain storm it

sailing is involved
come at my prop ;)

a girl called me boo like 20 times when we were dating

that was annoying

Just when you thought i'd blow my load i hit a home run right over your freakin head

we're on a biggish boat
30 footer or something?

isnt the gybe the boom
what

oh - weight won't be so much of an issue assuming the thing has a keel, which it probably does because it's 30'

a gybe is a maneuver where you change the direction the boat is heading so that the wind angle changes from say coming over the back right of the boat to coming over the back left of the boat. it can be dangerous, because the sail will always be filled with wind, and when the wind catches the other side of the sail it'll cause the mainsail to move from one side of the boat to the other side of the boat very quickly and with a lot of force. since the foot of the main is attached to the boom (big metallic rod that goes horizontal-like) the boom also moves very quickly - and if you're head is caught in it's path you'll really fucking hurt yourself or kill yourself.

gybes are usually done in a controlled manner where you actually center the mainsail before commiting to the gybe and then letting the main out the other side in a controlled manner. when people fuck up though the boom will go flying across the deck taking out anything in its way - it also causes A LOT of stress on the rig (the wires that keep the mast from falling over), so generally people always do controlled gybes but if you don't know what you're doing or you're sailing with people who's experience you're unsure of always mind the boom.

I always thought it was a jib that smakced people in the head based on movies or what

but i dont pay attention that closely to the lingo

tell me more about controlled gybes and how to do them
i can visualize tacking and stuff and got my ports and starboards down finally

I always thought it was a jib that smakced people in the head based on movies or what

but i dont pay attention that closely to the lingo

tell me more about controlled gybes and how to do them
i can visualize tacking and stuff and got my ports and starboards down finally

as you change the heading of the boat so that the wind angle get's closer to being directly up the pooper... let's say 0 degrees is the front of the boat, 180 degrees is the ass end. So you're changing your heading so that the wind angle shifts from 155 to 180 degrees.... while you're doing that you pull in all the line you can on the main sheet (that's the rope that controls the angle of the main sail) so that the main is centered (picture the boom from a birds eye view making a straight line from - 0 degrees to 180 degrees). Once you commit the boat to wind angles 181 degrees and above you ease the main sheet so that the main sail can be let out on the other side of the boat.

imagine my slashes and such are a top side view of the boom.
pre-gybe: /
center main: |
post-gybe: \

oh, i think i get it

you basically take the sail from catching wind on one side, setting it to neutral and taking up slack, then letting it back out on the other side?
155 to 180 to 205 on a compass or whatever they're called

oh, i think i get it

you basically take the sail from catching wind on one side, setting it to neutral and taking up slack, then letting it back out on the other side?
155 to 180 to 205 on a compass or whatever they're called

you got it... in practice it's not quite as exact in terms of the angles involved (the boat rolls when it's in the water so this has some effect on things) to be on the safe side you'll generally start centering the main when the wind is @ ~165 degrees.

People also don't generally describe it in a 360 degree circle like i did, but for most that seems to make more sense... instead you might hear something like moving it from the +155 degrees angle to the -155 degrees angle though I doubt you'll get into it just yet. kind of confusing on paper, do it once in practice and you'll know exactly what's going on - it's not rocket science, and i know how you like rocket science.

gotcha
so in this manner it's controlled
it's swingin hard or at least swangin around on half the deck, then wait, then the other half
rather than all at once and fast and nuts

Back