Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what the tribers do. This game needs to bring in new people, people who have never played any tribes game. People who have not grown up yet, who are not jaded, who will start their own websites, who will host their own lans, who will shoutcast their own matches, who will host their own servers, who will come up with their own vision of how the franchise should continue, who will keep the community going when it hopefully comes back to life for the next 10 years.

If a tribes vet comes along for the ride then that's great but as the great grimli said in the UO beta....quite frankly we don't need you.

i wouldnt expect 'crowds' tribes will likely always be a niche but those can still be a decently large amount of people. just dont expect cs/tf2/cod numbers.

i could be wrong but not likely. tribes is different, different can't be a majority else it ceases to be different. which isn't a bad thing but certainly isn't likely to happen.

Key ingredient: ensure the game accomodates transferable skills players aquire in T1 and T2. With minimal patience, T1ers (T2ers) can adopt to play T2 (T1) effectively.

Otherwise, as frequently mentioned in this thread, tribers will play for 5 minutes, laugh, and go back to what they were doing before.

Then again T1ers and T2ers may be so used to one game, they cant transfer skills, or the game will be to much of one version and not enough of another that one party will hate. My point is flawed but fuck it.

the reason why most people hated tribes vengeance had little to do with the physics.

The mouse freelook was absolute shit. up down axis felt blocky and highly inaccurate.
The vehicles were fucking shit it pisses me off. No shrike? whats this piece of shit pod? the most unrealistic boring to fly vehicle ever, ripped directly out of another game. Shows for extreme lack of creativity and thought for the greater good of the franchise.
the maps were small and some very poorly designed.

Time and money wasted on a mediocre single player. Those single player maps would have made for some awesome multiplayer games.

The grappler hook was a good concept but a bad idea. Maybe for heavy class as a utility for mobility only.

i wouldnt expect 'crowds' tribes will likely always be a niche but those can still be a decently large amount of people. just dont expect cs/tf2/cod numbers.

i could be wrong but not likely. tribes is different, different can't be a majority else it ceases to be different. which isn't a bad thing but certainly isn't likely to happen.

MaD_ReBeL played T1 with a joystick and pwnd j00.

the reason why most people hated tribes vengeance had little to do with the physics.

T:V's physics were on par with Tribes physics. Not as good, obviously, but they were fast, and they felt very much like a Tribes game should. I'd argue that the physics were the stand-out quality that T:V brought to the table.

I'd take another Tribes game with T:V's physics.

lol it figures Vir wants new players who won't be aware of his reputation as a whiny little queer who spits out his dummy when he dies, and starts handing out the kick/bans

If T:V survived longer then 3 months before VUG went bankrupt and pulled the plug... it would have likely been a decent game...

... personally, I liked various aspects of it. Some things I didn't like... but, if it had continued... patches would have easily corrected what was present already, but lacking in polish.

Gameplay tweaks would have been easy to make
New maps would replace the ones that came up short.
new MP functions, like a tournament mode and more admin functions.

But... none of that was possible when the developer is told to pull the plug and burn everything.

I mean look at Tribes 2... everyone who claims T2 is a great game, is basing their opinions on a version that took over a year before it appeared. The game was arguably the worst Tribes game at launch... that includes T:V and the infamous lack of OpenGL support in Tribes 1.

Last edited:
i still dont think in today's world scripting is as vital as it once was. some games like wow would blow ass without strong scripting, i get that. but tf2 i've never bothered with anything on the command line or bothered with any scripts. they're really not needed.

I'm willing to bet plenty of TF2 servers you play on run mods themselves through eventscripts or sourcemod, probably a global ban/admin/reserve slot management system such as SourceBans at least.

Todays FPS games actually tout the ability to have a dedicated server (only if bought through one or a few licensed game service providers) and an RCON tool to "effectively" manage your server. Of course a decade ago this wouldn't even be noteworthy. Game customization is limited to such complex things like map rotation, what game type to play on a server, and your server name. How riveting. That's probably one of the main reasons why a game bores me almost instantly.

I mean look at Tribes 2... everyone who claims T2 is a great game, is basing their opinions on a version that took over a year before it appeared.

No. T2 was great from day one. Despite the soup physics, it's still a great sequel. You remove the soup physics and it's on par with T1.

T2 Classic did nothing for the game - for me.

MaD_ReBeL doesn't know what he's talking about. Anubis is right. Tribes and Tribes 2 are still active to this very day because the community provided the support. Without the community, Hi-Res wouldn't have a product to push. They should cater to the demographic that allowed them to have a product to push: first the hardcore player-base, then the scripters, modders, and mappers, then, and only then should they consider what to do with a shitty console port.

I don't care what the tribers do. This game needs to bring in new people, people who have never played any tribes game. People who have not grown up yet, who are not jaded, who will start their own websites, who will host their own lans, who will shoutcast their own matches, who will host their own servers, who will come up with their own vision of how the franchise should continue, who will keep the community going when it hopefully comes back to life for the next 10 years.

If a tribes vet comes along for the ride then that's great but as the great grimli said in the UO beta....quite frankly we don't need you.

this cat can ball

if u think a game will survive on the 30-40 people who want to mod u r kidding urself

newbs are needed not more modders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back