4th of July Grilling Questions

grilling <> bbq
You'll figure it out ;)
For BBQ - start with a pork shoulder.
Can't go wrong.

You bought a smoker. You won't be grilling up on that but you can make some damn good pork.

I grill on my smoker but it's not ideal. The rack is a lot higher so the food doesn't get close to the fire. The smoker you got is ideal for ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc. (things that need indirect heat for long cook times). Where as a typical grill would have a rack that is close to the fire, ideal for steak, chicken, pork chops, etc. (things that you cook quickly).

So while it is possible to grill a steak in a smoker it will not be perfect with beautiful grill marks.

BTW my country style pork ribs turned out very nice today: I covered them with a brown sugar dry rub, smoked on indirect heat about 225°F for 2 and 1/2 hours, brushed with BBQ and smoked for another 30 minutes, brushed with BBQ again and transferred to direct heat for 10 minutes, brushed with BBQ again and flipped for another 10 minutes of direct heat, remove from heat and let rest. Baked Beans was in the pan covered with tinfoil (if anyone was wondering)

i put thing on bbq and wait 4 a bit and then flip and wait a little bit more then i eat it

thats my grilling technique

I'll be blunt. That's a smoker. Smoking is more advanced. You have not grilled. Take that back before you ruin the packaging. Save money and start with a basic barbecue that runs off an LPG gas bottle.

Once you have levelled up your barbequing skills to level 3 or 4 go back to the vendor and do the quest to unlock the smoker.

Basically the item should be showing as red in your inventory indicating you have not yet developed the skills to unlock it.

Lol grilling/bbq/smoking is simple. A smoker like yours can be sufficient for grilling albeit imperfect for the task (as I explained early). Don’t let that turd discourage you, smoking is a little more advanced but it’s not like it’s so difficult you have to level up to get there. :lol:

just buy some pellets or if u don't have any pellets around old wine corks work just as well

I’ve never used pellets. I use wood chips soaked in water, toss them on top the charcoal keeps the fire/temp under control and makes lots of smoke. DO NOT use wine corks :lol: sure they make smoke but I’m willing to assume that smoke is not nearly as nice as mesquite chips :rofl:

67b81fc0e7b8888078e770ab7a56fcf4.jpg

Some ppl do not soak there wood chips. I find that un-soaked wood chips burn quickly and to hot. Really it’s all about finding the style you prefer.

Did you smoke it low and slow or get the plate temp up and grill it high and fast? or a bit of both?

i did both bro.. Fucking lit that wood up son let it get up in grill mode. Turned in all my dailies to get the buffs threw some meat on that shit let it get sizzling then let coals bbq mode smoke that shit son..

IM FROM THE STREETS AND GOT MAD XP GAINZ NICKA

I’ve never used pellets. I use wood chips soaked in water, toss them on top the charcoal keeps the fire/temp under control and makes lots of smoke. DO NOT use wine corks :lol: sure they make smoke but I’m willing to assume that smoke is not nearly as nice as mesquite chips :rofl:

67b81fc0e7b8888078e770ab7a56fcf4.jpg

Some ppl do not soak there wood chips. I find that un-soaked wood chips burn quickly and to hot. Really it’s all about finding the style you prefer.

Soaking chips or wood makes more soot which tastes like shit, to avoid that on long smokes use dry wood for smoke and keep the water trays under the meat if u need moisture. Smoke should be thin rather than thick and white like steam at the exhaust.

Last edited:
Soaking chips or wood makes more soot which tastes like shit, to avoid that on long smokes use dry wood for smoke and keep the water trays under the meat if u need moisture. Smoke should be thin rather than thick and white like steam at the exhaust.

Good to know, thanks for the advice.

Back