[Gulf Oil Leak Fix] It Dun Fayeld

Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had no problem with, get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, send in the Marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a shit. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fuckin' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the fuckin' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure fuck it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.

Also, 2,100,000 (2.1 million gal of oil-water mixture)... 10% being oil.

2,100,000 * 0.10 = 210,000 gal

So is it 100,000, 210,000, or 3,000,000?

there is no fucking way that wellbore leaked 3 million gallons.. thats... that is just insanely wrong

interesting, because at least one expert in the area has estimated over 10 million gallons have leaked based on the satellite images of the size of the oil

SkyTruth: Gulf Oil Spill - New Spill Calculation - Exxon Valdez Surpassed Today

Also, 2,100,000 (2.1 million gal of oil-water mixture)... 10% being oil.

2,100,000 * 0.10 = 210,000 gal

So is it 100,000, 210,000, or 3,000,000?

the coast guard stopped making estimates when it became apparent that the scale was much larger than they had initially stated and their reasoning was it was pointless to release estimates because they had no accurate way to measure the spill rate.

Last edited:
there's really no end in sight to this. even if it hasn't done exxon valdez numbers yet, it will within a few days anyway.

I saw that thing on the news... "this specially designed container will lower over the main leak and suck all the oils away"... I knew that shit wasn't going to work.

there's really no end in sight to this. even if it hasn't done exxon valdez numbers yet, it will within a few days anyway.

it already has passed that point if you do simple math to check it:

The coast guard map from april 28th identified areas with relative heavy thickness and areas with relative light thickness (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_edvxM1dkF...X2N9-D1BY/s1600/CG_spill_map_28apr10_1330.jpg ).

The vast majority of the spill (~89%) is extremely light (.5 microns thick), but somewhere around 1% of the spill is estimated to be very thick (200 microns thick), around 4% of the spill is estimated to be fairly thick (100 microns thick), and another 5% was estimated to be around 10 microns thick.

The estimated concentration per acre for each of those levels (based on ranges given in http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_edvxM1dkF...UjIY/s1600/April+28+volume+BOAC+chart+Ian.jpg ):
.5: .0128 barrels per acre
10: .282 barrels per acre acre
100: 2.54 barrels per acre
200: 5.1 barrels per acre

If we multiply the concentration by the reported proportion and convert barrels to gallons, the expected spill size should be 7.48 times the reported area of the spill: (.0128*.89+.282*.05+2.54*.04+5.1*.01)*42 = 7.479864

On April 28th, the estimated size was 1786 square miles aka 1.1 million acres. Using the proportions above and the size of the oil slick, the estimated size would be 8.2 million gallons

The estimated size hit roughly 2600 square miles aka 1.6 million acres on May 1st. Using the same proportions as described above, the estimated spill size would have been around 11.9 million gallons as of May 1st

Now the area of spill is being estimated at 4-5 thousand square miles (aka 2.5-3.2 million acres). With the same proportions again, the estimated amount of oil spilled is in the range of 18.7-23.9 million gallons of oil.

I presume it is also becoming obvious that based on the growth of the spill area and total spill, clearly there is a lot more being leaked than 200k gallons a day.

they obviously just need to figure out a way to collect all of this oil so that we can use it.

Problem solved.

Back