Drywall update

also, what is going on here? It looks like the door should be on the left where the window is. Where the light switches are. Is there another door near the switches?
You can obviously see 3 hinges in the photo, there's a door there.

This house is 106 years old and was fully gutted and floor plan changed to 'open concept' and entry doors/windows were moved around.

To the left of the switches is a half bath. To the right is the kitchen. The door leads to a covered back porch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The boss guy bought this house 3 years ago to 'flip' since then he had a heart attack, his wife got alzheimer's, and the house was robbed and lost all his tools. I'm helping out while I'm looking for a new job.

It's all a bit wonky. The framing guy did a terrible job. The new walls are out of whack majorly. It's pretty noticeable when there's a door in the wall since they must be level and plumb.

He framed in too tight to the entry doors. When I got the drywall on its so close there's no way to put a baseboard on without getting hit by the door opening.

So mission statement is just get it done. :Shrug:

Other thing is all the walls are tight to the windows so I don't know how that gets trimmed. It always looks pretty bad if one side of the window has a full casing and then the opposite side is cut in half.

There must've been an engineer involved because there's blueprints for the layout I don't know how he could've got all this detail stuff so horribly wrong.

I ask because old homes have much, much stronger wood. Most of the framing sticks we get today are 7 year farmed trees and 2-3 swings on your hammer can drive a 16d nail whereas with old homes, it might take 10 swings or more - if you don't bend the nail.

Looks like Fed Flintstone's f'n ceiling. I've done lots of plastering, rendering, concrete repairs etc.. and am very experienced at this kind of stuff. My suggestion is to square that shit away with some battens and then apply drywall sheeting instead of freehand rendering that complex curved thingy.

It really is good to see someone who constantly exceeds expectations, at least you don't settle for just doing something half way

I'll do the door part tomorrow since you guys requested that

Pro tip

With recessed lights you can pop them out and they'll dangle from the wires and cast the light right onto the walls.

Last edited:
For walls use a lamp on a stand pointing down the wall to show any issue with the horizontal butt joint. Then later when you go back to normal lights.. will look fantastic.

Back