Current news thread

FBI joins probe into North Carolina countywide blackout as motive for gunfire at power substations unclear | Fox News

FBI joins probe into North Carolina countywide blackout as motive for gunfire at power substations unclear
Moore County officials cannot confirm shootings at power substations constitute domestic terrorism

The FBI has joined the probe into power outages for a North Carolina county of some 100,000 residents, as the motive for gunfire that damaged two substations remains unknown, and no arrests have been made.

A curfew would go into effect from 9 p.m. Sunday until 5 a.m. Monday, Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields announced at a press conference. Power remained out for roughly 35,400 customers as of Monday morning, down by several thousand from the peak of the outages over the weekend.

Just after 7 p.m. Saturday, power outages began in the Carthage area before spreading to the greater majority of central and southern Moore County. Power crews and deputies who responded to the scene found "extensive damage" at two substations that was being investigated as a "criminal occurrence" and "intentional vandalism."

Fields said Sunday the either an individual or a group of people breached gates at the substations and fired multiple shots. Some 40,000 customers were initially without power.

NORTH CAROLINA SHERIFF SAYS ‘INTENTIONAL VANDALISM’ AT SUBSTATIONS CAUSED OUTAGES FOR 40K CUSTOMERS

This photos shows the gate to the Duke Energy West End substation in Moore County, N.C. on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022.
This photos shows the gate to the Duke Energy West End substation in Moore County, N.C. on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022. (John Nagy/The Pilot via AP)

Fields said he had no information about there being truth to rumors that the outages were somehow linked to a protest at a drag show. "No, none that I’m aware of. Is it possible? Yes, anything’s possible. But we have not been able to tie anything back to the drag show," Fields told reporters Sunday.

The sheriff also said he had no information yet about the potential motive. "No motivation. No group has stepped up to acknowledge or accept that they are the ones who’ve done it," Fields said.

"We faced something last night in Moore County that we’ve never faced before," Fields said. "I can promise you to the perpetrators out there, we will find you."

"Evidence at the scene indicated a firearm had been used to disable the equipment," Fields said. "We’re constantly working with the FBI, the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), all of our state and local other law enforcement folks are here, and we’re working around the clock and will continue to do so."

"Folks, we’re living in some challenging times. Challenging times that I never thought in my 40 years in law enforcement we would be seeing things and dealing with things we would be dealing with."

Jeff Brooks, from Duke Energy, said Sunday he expected outages to last as long as until Thursday.

"During our investigation of the outage, we did determine that there had been intentional impact on the substation, damaging multiple pieces of equipment in the substation and causing power to go out there," Brooks said. "Unlike, perhaps a storm, where you could go in and reroute power somewhere else, that was not an option in this case, so repair has to be completed. In many cases, some of that equipment will have to be replaced, and our crews are currently working on the repair plan."

This photo shared Nov. 18 on the Moore County Sheriff's Office's Facebook page shows a marked department vehicle
This photo shared Nov. 18 on the Moore County Sheriff's Office's Facebook page shows a marked department vehicle (Moore County Sheriff's Office)

A state of emergency went into effect at 4 p.m. Sunday, Moore County Director of Public Safety Bryan Phillips said.

A shelter was opened at Moore County Sports Complex in Carthage. EMS, fire and 911 operations are operating as normal, but call volumes did go up Saturday night, Phillips said.

"Reach out to your neighbors. To those people who you know that may have needs and come to their aid as you’re able," Moore County Chairman Frank Quis said at the press conference on Sunday. "We in county government can reach out, but we don’t reach out to everyone so its incumbent to our citizens to step up and be our solution here."

Schools were closed countywide Monday for students and staff, Moore County Schools superintendent Tim Locklear announced, saying the district would be monitoring the situation throughout the week.

"Folks, this was [a] terrible act. And it appears to be an intentional, willful, and malicious act," state Sen. Tom McInnis said. "The perpetrator will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law."

Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields reports that the mass power outage across the county is being investigated as a criminal occurrence.
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields reports that the mass power outage across the county is being investigated as a criminal occurrence. (Moore County Sheriff's Office)

"I challenge our members of the community if you do not have to go out for any reason, please stay home tonight," McInnis added. "We might have to do this of course tomorrow night and into the following night. But tonight, for certain, stay at home. The roads are dangerous."

Asked if this rises to the level of domestic terrorism, Fields said, "I can’t answer that, again we’re looking at all avenues. That’s the reason I’ve got the professionals, the federal folks, they deal with the domestic terrorism more than locals. So, they’re on board, and they’re working with us to determine exactly who’s done this. Now, I can say this. This individual who’s done this, it was targeted. It wasn’t random."

Moore County is about an hour's drive southwest of the state capital of Raleigh and is known for golf resorts in Pinehurst and other communities.

This file images shows Progress Energy Inc. powerlines lead from a substation in Durham, North Carolina, U.S., on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011. Duke Energy Corp. was nearing an agreement to buy Progress Energy Inc. to form the largest U.S. utility.
This file images shows Progress Energy Inc. powerlines lead from a substation in Durham, North Carolina, U.S., on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011. Duke Energy Corp. was nearing an agreement to buy Progress Energy Inc. to form the largest U.S. utility. (Photographer: Jim R. Bounds/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Fields said he has been in contact with North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper and U.S. Reps. Dan Bishop and Rich Hudson, who all offered the full extent of assistance necessary.

"Last night, unknown individuals vandalized at least two substations in Moore County with criminal intent," Hudson said in a statement. "Motive for this crime remains unknown. Many Moore County residents remain without power. I want to thank Sheriff Ronnie Fields and all local law enforcement as well as the SBI and FBI for their quick action to respond to the incident. I have also been in contact with Duke Energy and know they are working on all options to restore power as quickly as possible."

"I appreciate the swift response from local and state emergency responders in Moore County to protect public safety and work with Duke Energy to restore power," Cooper tweeted. "An attack like this on critical infrastructure is a serious, intentional crime and I expect state and federal authorities to thoroughly investigate and bring those responsible to justice."

CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Fields also spoke about an incident at a Walmart in Moore County that happened during the outages. The sheriff said while the store was waiting on generators to arrive, someone slipped in and tried to shoplift. That individual was taken into custody. Several law enforcement agencies were also providing security assistance at power substations while the extensive repair is underway.

:lol:

I suppose the woketivists who managed to negotiate such a sweet deal certainly "earned" it

Yeah, this has been going on for some time, our men's teams subsidize the women. Just like everywhere else.

Weapons supplied to Ukraine from Western countries are "starting to flow" into the Lake Chad basin region, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari warned this week.

Addressing the heads of states from neighboring states participating in the Lake Chad Basin Commission on Tuesday in the Nigerian capital of Abuja, the president said, "Regrettably, the situation in the Sahel and the raging war in Ukraine serve as major sources of weapons and fighters that bolster the ranks of the terrorists in the region."

Buhari then urged his counterparts to increase security cooperation in order to confront the issue of arms smuggling.

The Nigerian president agreed to step up military coordination in their countries' war against Boko Haram and ISIS terrorists, who are now apparently receiving weapons from Ukraine, alongside the leaders of Benin, Chad, Niger, and the Central African Republic.

Last month, Finnish police said that some of the "huge quantities" of weapons being shipped to Ukraine had made their way to Finland, where "three of the world’s largest motorcycle gangs" now operate, including Bandidos MC, which "has a branch in every major city in Ukraine."

In August, an American news outlet unmasked that a shockingly large amount of weaponry heading for Ukraine was untraceable. "Like 30% of it reaches its final destination," said a tweet that was later deleted after a swarm of online trolls attacked it.

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu had previously said the arms supplied by the West to Ukraine were ending up on the black market and spreading across West Asia.

Similarly, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov had pointed out that Stingers and Javelin missiles, supplied by the West to Kiev, were already being sold at a discount on the black market and have surfaced in Albania and Kosovo, which Russia has warned for so long.

Ukraine has received billions and billions of dollars in donated arms from the United States and its allies such as the United Kingdom and other NATO states in the past few months.

Weapons delivered to Ukraine 'beginning to filter' to Africa: Nigeria

Fans of the iconic Disney theme park ride Splash Mountain have a little over a month to take one last ride. Disney will close Splash Mountain permanently on January 23 because, the company says, it promotes "racial stereotypes."

The ride, which opened in 1989, is based on the 1946 Disney film "Song of the South." The film has fallen out of favor in recent years because, critics say, it offers a racially insensitive depiction of Reconstruction in the American South just after the end of the Civil War.

"I've felt, as long as I've been CEO, that 'Song of the South' was – even with a disclaimer – was just not appropriate in today's world," Disney CEO Bob Iger said at a shareholders' meeting in March 2020, when the ride closure was first announced.

For years, activists have attempted to cancel "Song of the South" permanently. In 2019, a Change.org petition gathered over 21,000 signatures denouncing the film and demanding that Disney close Splash Mountain as well.

Disney closes iconic 33-year-old theme park ride that it now calls racist

DyTyXRA.png

goodbye song of the south :lol:

Back