Costco comboobr vs gfx card prices lol

wouldnt it be cheaper+better to just build ground up

who knows what other ghetto crap is in there... bad mobo, bad mem... etc + the dell markup

A complete 3060ti gaming PC for $750? I really doubt it.

It wasn't for me, it was for my dad. I wanted to spend the least amount of money and time on it. I cross-shopped pre-built gaming PCs from a reputable local shop and it would've cost 50% more. Having to replace the fans was a bummer, I regretted my decision right then and there. Live and learn. It came out good.

I bought a used Dell G5 with extra warranty for my dad's flight sim rig... i7+3060ti

The factory cooling was fucking *garbage*... it wouldn't run flight sim for more than 30 seconds before severe throttling and it was loud as fuck.

Bought and installed this stuff:
Spoiler

Absolute beast of an upgrade for that PC. I can't believe people buy these fucking Dells and expect to game on them from the factory, its absolutely pitiful.

In the end it cost me less than $1000CDN or about $725US. Worth it.
Yeah, I've done that also, used pre builts can be fast and cheap. I just ordered a CUK computer! by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
LTT did a few cheap gaming builds, here's the latest.

yea linus techtips did a vid where they bought a 'gaming' pc from every big company to compare and Dell was by faaaaar the worst and most expensive

i dont think u can even replace the power supplies anymore, even if u could find ones that would fit in their form factors it uses it's own stupid non standard pinouts
Yep. I ended up returning the Dell XPS and building my own. I guess I should edit the original post as this thread is more how I ended up building my own.
What I hate is just not knowing which component is the best bang for my buck and missing out on a significant performance boost over 20 bucks.

I prefer to spend more up front with the idea of possible upgrades later instead of buying older hardware with no upgrade path. The 12th gen intel was the first to use the cpu socket, with confirmed 13th gen compatibility, ddr5 and direct ssd cpu connection. Mobo I ended up with supports all the newest standards and was fairly economical. My 12th gen i5 was faster than the previous gen i9, and the just released 13th gen i5's are testing faster than 12th gen i9's, and 14th gen will probably fit the same mobo if I choose to upgrade then.

Last edited:
A complete 3060ti gaming PC for $750? I really doubt it.

It wasn't for me, it was for my dad. I wanted to spend the least amount of money and time on it. I cross-shopped pre-built gaming PCs from a reputable local shop and it would've cost 50% more. Having to replace the fans was a bummer, I regretted my decision right then and there. Live and learn. It came out good.

ah ok thats not bad... but just be ready to be nagged by dad in a few years when that thing blows up :)

Yeah I realized immediately upon turning that fucking thing on that i should've bought a more robust gaming PC but it was too late.

I'm super happy I purchased at Costco, their 90 day no questions return policy saved me from the same thing amRam.

TL:DR
[so] I hadn't upgraded anything for some time, and things were getting bad. My last major pc build was 2011.
Ridicule my computer by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
It was time to upgrade but graphics card prices were still ridiculous September of 2021. I bought a laptop, returned it and bought a better one with a 3050ti GPU
Labtops 2021 by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums

The prices on the Dell XPS slid down enough that I bought one. While I had it I pulled the video card and tried it in the old system.
New machine
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52178569
UserBenchmarks: Game 121%, Desk 97%, Work 128%
CPU: Intel Core i7-11700 - 96.5%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 126.2%
SSD: Nvme BC511 SK hynix 512GB - 152.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 102%
USB: USB SanDisk 3.2Gen1 123GB - 36.5%
RAM: Unknown M378A2G43AB3-CWE 2x16GB - 74.3%
MBD: Dell XPS 8940

Had to update bios in the old machine for the new card to work. Bios update broke the on board lan controller so I'm using a pcie tp link card that just arrived.

Here's how it benchmarks with the new bios and rtx 3060. Not bad for a 12 year old motherboard, memory and processor.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53188480
UserBenchmarks: Game 108%, Desk 85%, Work 82%
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - 84.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 132.9%
SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB - 36.8%
HDD: Seagate ST3500312CS 500GB - 41.6%
HDD: WD Purple Surveillance 4TB (2017) - 111.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB - 60.1%
MBD: MSI P67A-C43 (MS-7673)
The new Dell XPS wasn't a huge improvement over the 11 year old system and GPU prices were creeping down so I went another direction. I would either gut another new GPU or build a new system.

June 2022 GPU prices fell enough, and inflation hadn't kicked in, so I bought a 3080ti for $1,049.
The same card dropped below $1k a few weeks later, but is now (october 24th 2022) $1,349

I managed to wedge the new card into the old case/ computer.
:boogie:

C5aGHnw.jpg

win 10 and new boot drive
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53764455

Code:
UserBenchmarks: Game 184%, Desk 88%, Work 142%
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - 83.8%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080-Ti - 228.2%
SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB - 111.2%
HDD: Seagate ST3500312CS 500GB - 40.4%
HDD: WD Purple Surveillance 4TB (2017) - 109.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB - 60.9%
MBD: MSI P67A-C43 (MS-7673)

I bought another case and moved parts over
There is no way after doing all that work to make things fit,,,
there is no way you're going to now transfer it all to a new case...
right?

2fjw3Xd.jpg

This was better than the new Dell XPS, but I knew the GPU was severely bottlenecking through the old mobo, cpu and memory,

I found a few deals during prime days:
Amazon Prime days by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
and built another computer.
Costco comboobr vs gfx card prices lol by Plasmatic - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums

Periphery stuff:
Mouse thread for those cursed with big hands by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Do you even keyboard by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Is this the best gaming monitor? by Flash - TribalWar Forums
Computer speakers? by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Your desks, show them to me by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Manly **** by Brasstax - Page 8 - TribalWar Forums

wat gen shuld i look at? something budget?

i am basically just looking 2 cheese my fps in 1998 video games at a high price point like i did in 2014 before i got bsod

After seeing what happens to games with shitty PC cooling, can these laptops seriously offer any decent performance in that form factor?

Back