Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

I recently read George R R Martins Wild Cards. book 1. Bunch of short stories, by various authors, about super heroes and villians, based on characters that Martin and some of his pals created while playing some super hero role playing game.

it was entertainng. apparently there are about a dozen books in the series.

yeah I have them all - I didn't like the first one much so never continued.

I am absolutely amazed this thread is almost 2.5 years old

I just realised as I have some downloaded books from this thread that are 2 years old that I haven't gotten to yet - I was like ?? wtf must have the date stamp wrong - check the OP, nope 2.5 years. My god where does it go?

Probably the best thread on TW - it somehow hasn't been beshitted by haters and morons

I am absolutely amazed this thread is almost 2.5 years old

I just realised as I have some downloaded books from this thread that are 2 years old that I haven't gotten to yet - I was like ?? wtf must have the date stamp wrong - check the OP, nope 2.5 years. My god where does it go?

Probably the best thread on TW - it somehow hasn't been beshitted by haters and morons

:kiss:

I'm nearly done with Snow Crash. What next?

-Something by Heinlein?
-The 2nd Ender's Game book?
-I read the Foundation trilogy eons ago and want to re-read that too
-Something else?

re-read starship troopers
re-read (or just read) stranger in a strange land
edit: story of job is also good heinlein fun

definitely re-read foundation series

get your grind on w/ some known space books (niven is so dreamy and for some reason beowulf shaeffer has always stuck in my mind as one of my favourite doods ever)

then buy and devour phil k dicks exegesis if you want to know crazy

So I'm now just over half way through The Martian and it is a pretty good story. Still the style grates a little. It is much better when he goes into standard story telling mode rather than the blog stuff.

Great story idea and concept with just a few too many 'just got lucky' moments but hey - it is fantasy so roll on

I'm trying to remember a series about an alien mercenary society that ends up training one human company. The aliens are total professionals, totally zen about warfare. They have multiple clans that are sometimes hired to fight each other. I remember their home planet being really hot. They also don't replace casualties... Once a unit gets below a certain strength they are retired. I was thinking ghost might be in the title if one of the books (referencing human skin color). Help?

I'm nearly done with Snow Crash. What next?

-Something by Heinlein?
-The 2nd Ender's Game book?
-I read the Foundation trilogy eons ago and want to re-read that too
-Something else?

Enders Game is a book you probably remember as amazing from childhood.

Dont ruin it by reading the word-vomit he calls sequels

Frank Herbert wrote other sci-fi, the destination:VOID universe

they had the most horrifying creature in science fiction, the nerve runner, a very thin but long creature that was lightning fast and ate it's way from your peripheral nervous system to your central nervous system, and they fell upon people like swarms of insects

the problem with this thread is I dont know what I've recommended and I'm not digging through it all to see, some aspie here needs to make a comprehensive list and we can keep the front page updated

JOB: a comedy of justice was recommended a few up, it's great

Time enough for love, introduces Lazerus Long and Heinlein's multi verse writing, or a cat who walks through walls, does the same thing

Enders Game is a book you probably remember as amazing from childhood.

Dont ruin it by reading the word-vomit he calls sequels

Agreed although Ender's Shadow brought back some of the same magic of the first book. I did enjoy it for the most part.

The Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide crap made me want to punch kittens.

I'm trying to remember a series about an alien mercenary society that ends up training one human company. The aliens are total professionals, totally zen about warfare. They have multiple clans that are sometimes hired to fight each other. I remember their home planet being really hot. They also don't replace casualties... Once a unit gets below a certain strength they are retired. I was thinking ghost might be in the title if one of the books (referencing human skin color). Help?

John Dalmas's Regiment?

Just finished WOOL, really enjoyed. Stuck with what to move onto next... still waiting on Scott Lynch, Patrick Rofthuss, George R. R. Martin and Robin Hobb to finish shit.

Also what ever happened to those 'Prince of Nothing' books? I got three in and decided they were getting a bit shit I think?

i like them. i need to re-read them because a holy hell of a lot of shit happens ands its even more confusing to piece together than the malazan book of the fallen series. the 6th book is nearing the end of its first re-write i think

Just wrapped up the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. The last book is weaker than the first two, but it's still excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

I'm going through Orson Scott Card's ender-related books atm. I read a few of them as a kid (loved Ender's Game)...

It has not been as pleasing this time around.

Back