Looking for a new game 'like Tribes to play?

Tribes is dead because of our community. I appreciate that people are working to revive things but they are working against a lot of problems:

1.) this isn't 1999. People have grown and changed. They will never again view games the same way they did 6 years ago.

2.) Time has inflated players view of their past skills. Yankee was pointing this out in irc and is spot on. Back in T1 a team could have a shitload of losses but still be considered a top team. Now when a team gets a couple losses they break up and most likely leave the game (blaming the game). We seek perfection that is unattainable.

3.) The community doesn't know what they want. This is plain to see from T2 and T:V.

Arcanox said:
Everyone, just play Tribes 2. Mkay?

We all had fun with it in the past.

WOW

This person is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

He doesn't understand.

First of all, that is much less likely then making an entirely new game. As no T1 competitor would dare touch T2, and most T2C would not touch it either. Some people would rather compete in T:V than in T2. This is true with every game. Me being a T2C player wouldn't ever do T:V, but would consider T1, as I still have a lot of my skill from back in the day.

My point is, that its just not feasible.

We must bring people into the community. The only way to do that is not to just make a new game, or get everyone to play the same game, but we must make a new game that generates new people.

Falhawk said:
2.) Time has inflated players view of their past skills. Yankee was pointing this out in irc and is spot on. Back in T1 a team could have a shitload of losses but still be considered a top team. Now when a team gets a couple losses they break up and most likely leave the game (blaming the game). We seek perfection that is unattainable.

Very evident in ET. However, what happened to team grapple and gods of debuachry?

Falhawk said:

You hit this one on the nail.

I was getting back into T2 now that classic was out, and I joined up with this team called: Super Troopers (S). They thought they were hot stuff, kicking trash in arena. So they decided to move into CTF. No longer were we kicking trash. We were losing several games in a row. After no more then around 5 games, losing maybe 3 of them, the leaders decided to revamp the team, removing everyone but the guys who formed it and possibly leaving a few of the best player. They considered me to be on the line, and decided to bump me off. The funny thing is that the leaders of the team were not that great, no better then me. I admit to not being as hot as I am now or was back in T1, as I had just been getting back into it, but had they waited another month, they would have seen my skill double. As I really got back into things, refined my lance skill, MA's, re-mapped keyboard and mouse for best performance. I changed everything to become a way better player. Unfortunately they were too short sited.

Now compare this to [TNP]. These guys had been at the bottom of the BML for a while. But they never gave up. They will pick up new players, and teach them the game, sometimes allowing them to defend in a match. If every team was willing to take a hit like this, there would be a lot more people in the community right now. While TNP will never be the best, a lot of very good players will be or have been created over the years.

Ultimately, there are not enough people in the community to make another Tribes game worth it, unless we can bring in new players. Tribes is still very original and in depth, and will still appeal to thousands of new people. The game just needs to be solid, and the word has to get out. Those will be 2 keys to making sure our community has good competitive numbers for another 5 to 10 years.

I'm spending my time on the Renwerx team trying to come out with a brand new game thats free for all to play. Now I don't understand why everyone says we should go ahead and hire a developer to do the same goddam thing.

Everyone in TT needs to stop trying to lead thier own little revolution since T:V didn't do it for them. Everyone in TT should pick up T1/T2C even if it's old. IMO, it's not a bad idea because I know you guys aren't going to accomplish shit by bickering about the technicalities of a course of action. You guys want to do something for the community? Just sit down and play the fucking game.

If whats going on in TT is what you call a community, well then. To be honest, I really don't want to be part of whats going on here.

I'm starting to think that the only way another Tribes game could be somewhat succesful is if TW doesn't know about it until release. Other communities maybe, but too many people are concerned with their e-penii and ladder positions here to be able to make a good, different game.

Arcanox said:
I'm spending my time on the Renwerx team trying to come out with a brand new game thats free for all to play. Now I don't understand why everyone says we should go ahead and hire a developer to do the same goddam thing.

Everyone in TT needs to stop trying to lead thier own little revolution since T:V didn't do it for them. Everyone in TT should pick up T1/T2C even if it's old. IMO, it's not a bad idea because I know you guys aren't going to accomplish shit by bickering about the technicalities of a course of action. You guys want to do something for the community? Just sit down and play the fucking game.
Are you going to say this when there's only a total of 10 people playing T2 too?

Falhawk said:
Tribes is dead because of our community. I appreciate that people are working to revive things but they are working against a lot of problems:

1.) this isn't 1999. People have grown and changed. They will never again view games the same way they did 6 years ago.

3.) The community doesn't know what they want. This is plain to see from T2 and T:V.

Clearly, this man knows what he's talking about.

Amadeu5 said:
Are you going to say this when there's only a total of 10 people playing T2 too?

I don't expect it to be the saving grace that will bring us to the promise land. I expect it to at least keep people occupied untill theres going to be something we can really look forward to.

I realise that playing T2 isn't meant to last, but even if TT did organise pickups every week it would be time better spent than bitching about how to get back at VUG and make our own game.

Arcanox said:

If whats going on in TT is what you call a community, well then. To be honest, I really don't want to be part of whats going on here.

Do you read before posting.

What we are saying is that the game we want, can't be free, unless you find a magical way to make it, publish it, and advertise it.

Playing T1 or T2 is not good enough simply because the numbers are only falling, and we don't have enough people who can actively play to keep the ladders alive.

We must bring new people into the community. To do this, we must create a professional game, which will take money, and then next we need to advertise it(money), and must distribute it, which will also cost money.

Your solution is great and all, but how is it any different then legends?

What we are offering here is Tribes 3. That’s what we want. And as my topic suggests, and some of the stupid posts by people like you prove, is that you people can't get our idea and reasoning through your heads, as you keep on bringing up issues that are beside the point.

Why dwell on the past? While it seems impossible to create a new and thriving community, why just spectate the community falling? T:V was a good 'foundation' for bringing new players into the game, as several new players are already contributing to clans and getting involved. Its not a good start, but a start nonetheless.

No one can be 100% sure of if this community will die out or not. But I think it's irrelevent. Because if it did die, it is best it died with a bang. I'm sure not many people want to think back to the time the community died and all they did was watch; there's no representation for something like that. If people recall a gaming community dying, but giving it all they got... that is something to look at.

And personally, to me, a game community is not dead if there are still a handful of people supporting it. And people are supporting it, people I'd imagine would never step down.

TW can and should live on, in my mind.

Pocketgamer, while I am opposed to some of your ideas, I support what you are trying to do. Just make sure you don't get hostile about it, it will drive others away. Be open-minded and hear what folks have to say. That is my advice.

Arcanox said:
I don't expect it to be the saving grace that will bring us to the promise land. I expect it to at least keep people occupied untill theres going to be something we can really look forward to.

I realise that playing T2 isn't meant to last, but even if TT did organise pickups every week it would be time better spent than bitching about how to get back at VUG and make our own game.

A pickup is what I see happen in forums like PCPerspective.com for games that are pretty much dead.

We want to bring back modders, scripters, mappers, skinners . ... all the websites that go with that. I want to be able to join a team, leave them, join another team, and then not see my last team for a month, playing on the same ladder.

At any point in the day I want to get on to my computer and chose from 10 to 20 different, active, pubs.

That's not happening by telling everyone to play T2, having pickups, or releasing a fan made game to the community. You have to take things to the next step. The game needs to be reviewed in major magazines. Forums accross the world need to be hyping it. FP and other download sites need to feature it. This will cost money. So therefore we need a product that people pay for.

Btw, I think Legends has potential in that aspect. When the game's a bit more complete, we could raise some money to advertise it on a few sites. The idea of a community making their own game is something that would really get people's attention, if they knew about it.

Amadeu5 said:
Yes, "I know a secret but I won't tell you" is guaranteed to make people stfu. :rolleyes:

Good point, but it's not a fucking secret.

The guys at GG have the code, they just can't go and release it though because it's quite obvious where it would have come from, and then VUG would sue them up the butthole.

pocketgamer said:
Do you read before posting.

What we are saying is that the game we want, can't be free, unless you find a magical way to make it, publish it, and advertise it.

Playing T1 or T2 is not good enough simply because the numbers are only falling, and we don't have enough people who can actively play to keep the ladders alive.

We must bring new people into the community. To do this, we must create a professional game, which will take money, and then next we need to advertise it(money), and must distribute it, which will also cost money.

Your solution is great and all, but how is it any different then legends?

What we are offering here is Tribes 3. That’s what we want. And as my topic suggests, and some of the stupid posts by people like you prove, is that you people can't get our idea and reasoning through your heads, as you keep on bringing up issues that are beside the point.

Ladders I don't expect, but theres definately enough people here to organise a weekly pickup. Doesn't matter if it's on T1/T2C or Legends. If you want to bring new people into the game, then just hand over a CD with Legends or Tribes 1 to a friend.

If you think that this modest statement is an exercise in futillity, then just think about what you're proposing:

You want TW to FUND the creation of a game, sell it and advertise it?

Now thats never going to fucking happen. If you were to pop the question to the general public asking who will pay for it... well everyone would raise their hand. When it comes time to collect, people make themselves scarce. Unless 20 people want to shell out $2000 out of their own pocket.

I fail to see how I'm wrong here, I'm making a modest request to get people to play a game they already own, while you're asking them to pay for something out of their own pockets.

Back