[Utopia] T1 Source Code

Soldevi said:
can someone tell me what the point of finding this source would be?
just asking, cause I don't know

the point would be that the community could take over

we could make a seriously improved t1 with a shitload better graphics and what not while keeping the gameplay the way we've always liked it. can't really have the same exact physics when making a new game (t2/t:v)

FishStix said:
we could even start a fuckng fund. i'd donate my share if you all would.

No fund would make enough money to coax VUG into doing it. We need something in the 7 digits range for that to happen.

The only way it would happen is if somehow we can get it leaked, reverse engineered, or convince VUG it would be a good move for the community. Our cash (petty change) means shit.

why does VUG need so much money for t1 source code? it's not like they are doing anything with it... :shrug:

it's like some IBM 286 prototype lying around the IBM warehouse..

Yea, petitions won't do shit. We need to take a militant approach. Any suicide bombers in the house?

-s2- said:
loop's right. from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense, and without business sense there will be no source code for us.

but why did ID do it for quake? i'm sure it didnt make business sense for them to do that either

It might be because ID isn't a corporation; it's just a bunch of guys making great games at a private company. They can pretty much do whatever they'd like, because they don't have a parent corporation or stockholders to answer to.

Vivendi is a completely different environment. Corporations suck; they probably need written permission from 3 different bosses just to take a shit.

-s2- said:
the point would be that the community could take over

we could make a seriously improved t1 with a shitload better graphics and what not while keeping the gameplay the way we've always liked it. can't really have the same exact physics when making a new game (t2/t:v)

sounds cool, thanks

Khushi said:
i think it IS kp's fault... thats just me. gamers shouldnt be developers (with rare exceptions)
This has to be the most bloody foolish thing I've read in a long, long time.

Here's the thing. Tribes source code, if it exists is the property of
Sierra on-line. Even if I knew of the whereabouts of a copy of the
code, I could never be a party to its release, since I have no ownership
of that code base. If Sierra is interested in releasing the source code
to Tribes, it's possible that I could help them track down a copy, but
only by their request.
- Mark

My response has always been: "We do not know where the source is (I
don't) and we would not release it if we did."
Chris Mahnken

If you're interested in helping the community may I suggest http://hosted.tribalwar.com/legends/
Chris Mahnken

As you can see, (what was)Thrax&Co couldn't give 2 shits about us beyond buying their latest game + the guys who do have the source aren't willing to let it leak since it would be painfully obvious where it came from..

i mean, if this was to happen, its gotta happen now. so we need to be proactive.

i know being proactive is what TW is good at

:shrug:

Last edited:
People shouldn't have been such assholes to the legends team and we would have ended up with a nice game. :)

[meph]DooM! said:
As you can see, (what was)Thrax&Co couldn't give 2 shits about us beyond buying their latest game + the guys who do have the source aren't willing to let it leak since it would be painfully obvious where it came from..
Indeed. Thrax locked a thread that I started in TT about the T1 source ages ago. :lol:

It isn't going to happen. Sierra (and now VUG) has fed us so many bullshit lines about the source that it's pretty apparent where they stand. If they wanted to release it, they could. You don't "lose" source code that cost your company tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars to create. You "get too fucking lazy to deal with what is required to release it because you don't give two shits about the community."

The funny thing is that they don't seem to realize how much goodwill this would generate for their company in the gaming community at large. It wouldn't make a splash like Id releasing source, but it would make a lot of people think that perhaps VUG isn't completely overrun with douchebags like every other publisher in the industry.

At0m|c said:
People shouldn't have been such assholes to the legends team and we would have ended up with a nice game. :)
The Legends team shouldn't be so thin-skinned. It also shouldn't be blaming others for its own shortcomings. :)

Harsh, but true. They shot themselves in the foot over and over and over and over again. If they wanted people to take them seriously, the team shouldn't have had weekly very public flame wars. That said, what they came up with in the end was actually pretty fun. It's a shame that they decided to close up shop because some people were big internet meanies to them.

Kelster said:
This has to be the most bloody foolish thing I've read in a long, long time.

isnt the rocketpod his idea? i'd imagine the pod is too... if im wrong ignore my ramblings :)

I agree with Happ-I mean-Khushi. When gamers get involved in game design, you have things like 50 foot smiling flags and transparent walls.

Back