USA winning the World Cup

Of course. It also trumps Gaelic Football, Hurling, and a billion other sports played in countries around the world. So what?
i'm not saying Americans should "give a fuck" about what other countries do or say or think or whatever, Americans are rebels without a cause

but when we talk about the popularity of sports, things just are the way they are, and the world overwhelmingly agrees (against popular American opinion) that soccer > *

Monkey, you're arguing with yourself. No one is saying any sport - American or otherwise - is more popular globally than soccer.

heidi-montag-american-flag-bikini.jpg

why is how popular the sport is globally an argument for how good the sport is on its own merits
because everyone's perception of what makes a sport "good" is different, and there is no universal criteria for defining what constitutes a "good" sport

popularity is probably the best indicator of good, since a sports popularity is directly related to it's accessibility and the pleasure gained in both viewing and participating in it

i'm not saying Americans should "give a fuck" about what other countries do or say or think or whatever, Americans are rebels without a cause

but when we talk about the popularity of sports, things just are the way they are, and the world overwhelmingly agrees (against popular American opinion) that soccer > *

soccer is the most popular sport globally because that's what most of those people grew up with (sometimes to the exclusion of almost any other sport). it's not because everyone in the world did some dispassionate analysis of every viable sport and decided they liked soccer the best.

it'd be like saying christianity is the world's best religion because it has the most adherents and that it gained those adherents when everyone tried out all the major religions and decided christianity is the best.

Monkey, you're arguing with yourself. No one is saying any sport - American or otherwise - is more popular globally than soccer.
i didn't read the entire thread, just the last page... and i got the impression people were arguing about what sports are best or most popular or whatever. my bad, maybe my comments were uncalled for.

i would say that the opinions on the sports are based on culture.

not on one actually being better than the other... i'm not quite sure how you could actually measure that.

Nobody else gives a fuck about American Football, and we don't care that they don't care. Every country has sports like that.

Really, every country? There are 250+ countries in the world, name 3 decent examples that compare even slightly. Key criteria would be:

1) Sport is shown on TV all the time

2) The sport is popular enough in the only country that plays it, that people can earn a living playing it (I won't even make you compare with the ridiculous salaries paid to steroid-bloated stupid fucks in American football)

I anticipate epic fail at this point. Or no reply at all, which is the same thing.

Personally I don't understand why people can't appreciate every sport for what it is. I'm American and I love all of our big sports and I am also a huge soccer fan.

popularity is probably the best indicator of good, since a sports popularity is directly related to it's accessibility and the pleasure gained in both viewing and participating in it

britney spears #1 artist of the decade

miley cyrus #1 musician of america

ZOMG WHY DOESN'T THE UNITED STATES LIKE THE SAME SPORTS THAT I DO?!?!!?!?! IT JUST SHOWS HOW STUPID THEY ARE THAT THEY LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS!!!

i agree that culture has something to do with it too

but the real KEY factors would have to be accessibility, and enjoyment gained in viewing and participating... which ultimately lead to popularity

soccer is one of the most accessible sports ever... you can make a makeshift ball out of any round object, and makeshift goals using pretty much anything... and it's super easy to start playing even if you've never played before, and it's incredibly fun

and it has tremendous depth and breadth from technical, tactical, and strategic standpoints, which provides for a tremendous curve for progression and development

scottttthewise has always been a terrible poster

monkey i pm'd snaps about watching some world cup on his 65 inch 3dtv but he hasnt responded...wat u think

soccer is the most popular sport globally because that's what most of those people grew up with (sometimes to the exclusion of almost any other sport). it's not because everyone in the world did some dispassionate analysis of every viable sport and decided they liked soccer the best.

it'd be like saying christianity is the world's best religion because it has the most adherents and that it gained those adherents when everyone tried out all the major religions and decided christianity is the best.

I think we are playing semantics at this point (like always), but this is a well thought out post.

Let's get back to the topic at hand. USA winning the World Cup. Yes they will definitely NOT win. But neither will 26 other countries if history is any guide. There's only been like 7 different countries to win and only 5 of those have done it more than once and only 3 of those more than twice.

So ya, safe to say USA won't but neither will the Netherlands or Australia.

Back