[(#)SOCCER] 2009-2010 Season Thread

The significance of the battle at the Azteca is going to be intense. We have to prove that we can kick their ass on their soil :D

A friend of mine was trying to get me to accompany him down to Mexico for the match for over a year. We were going to fly down and stay with his family but after recent events we both decided it would be wise for me to stay in the states since they are not exactly in the tourist part of town.

really?

Look not one player on the field right now for the US will be playing in azteca next month, the same can not be said for Mexico. So if they want to go whooping up on our reserves and think that they now have a chance, they are more than welcome to.

I'm not sure that's a good argument. We were able to get to the final and win pretty handily in just about every game. In the first half we probably had better control of the game.

That "dive" by Santos that was awarded a PK was what changed everything. Once the crowd was into it and our morale dipped. It gave Mexico the confidence to steam roll.

I'd say it was pretty embarrassing. At 2-0 you knew it was over. At 5-0, you pretend the game didn't even happen. It's the FINAL of a major tournament and we got schooled. Hopefully it will give the team the motivation to work hard and prepare for a win in Mexico.

Numbers aren't on our side though, since we've NEVER won there.

I remember us sending our B-team down to South America and getting whooped by quality opposition and everyone, myself included, freaking out that we left our A-team to cruise through the Gold Cup.

Personally I don't mind this loss that much. Of course you never want to lose to Mexico, especially 5-0. But given the fact that our A-team had such a fantastic Confed Cup, this loss feels more like a wake up call for our WC qualifier. Whether they won this match or not, the US playing in Mexico was going to be a huge test. The B-team just put a little more pressure ;)

Kizzak is this right ?

http://bit.ly/34APWk said:
...Hicks, 63, and Gillett, 70, purchased Liverpool in 2007 for £174m, taking on £44.8m of liabilities

...In the run-up to the new deal being concluded, Gillett has sold his 80% stake in the Montreal Canadians ice hockey club for US dollars 580million (£350million), while Hicks is trying to off-load the Texas Rangers baseball team."

80% of a hockey team is worth almost twice as much as liverpool?

i guess abrom. bought chelsea for 140m, but they had like 80m of debt

Last edited:
the hab's are a pretty serious hockey franchise. I dont know how much the texas rangers are worth now, prolly alot more since they offloaded a-rod from the payroll.

Kizzak is this right ?

80% of a hockey team is worth almost twice as much as liverpool?

i guess abrom. bought chelsea for 140m, but they had like 80m of debt

Liverpool was bought on the cheap because of outstanding debt, the demand for a new stadium (which they had agreed to), and a belief by the former owner that they would invest in the club.

Additionally, the Canadiens are valued what they are due to the ~300 million Bell centre that comes along with them and his event promotion group which I guess has been fairly successful

The main thing is that the arena for the Canadiens was considered an additional asset worth selling (because of all the things hosted there), whereas Anfield is going to be torn down and redevelopments to be sold off to offset the construction of an eventual new stadium (and satisfy the city council).

Additionally, there are conversion rate issues with a direct comparison (H&G buy w/ dollars when it's almost exactly 2 dollars for one pound whereas today it's 1.6 dollars for one pound and presumably Molson is paying via canadian dollars which was ~1.2 CAD for one dollar in 2007 and 1.08 now)

If we converted the amount the amount they spent in pounds then to dollars then, that's $437.8 million. If we further convert it to canadian dollars, that's $525.36 million Canadian whereas the current deal Molson offered is $626.4 million Canadian.

Considering the difference in asset valuations (ie Molson is also buying an arena that will be available for many events and a promotion group whereas H&G are inheriting a need for a new stadium that will require destruction of the current asset), it's not a huge difference.

Forbes values the respective clubs as such:
Canadiens: 334 million dollars [gained about 51 million in value over the last year]
NHL Team Valuations: #3 Montreal Canadiens - Forbes.com
Liverpool: 1 billion dollars [lost about 40 million in value over the last year]
#5 Liverpool - Forbes.com

Additionally interesting is to note some of the numbers:
revenue:
Liverpool: 332
Montreal: 139

income:
Liverpool: 50
Montreal: 40

basically it's been suggested Gillett was forced into the sale because of the upcoming refinancing which was coming due

they refinanced (originally) a 360 million pound loan recently that had come down to 290 million and they agreed to repay another 60 million before the end of the year which would suggest that the cash raised may have been plowed back into paying down the debt and maybe starting the stadium

Toure is set to undergo a medical at City with a transfer from Arsenal reputed to be around 16 million which would given wenger 41 million from City

We've accepted a 5 million pound offer for Dossena to at least recoup 5 million off of him while simultaneously losing Arbeloa for about the same price

is someone going to start up another tribalwar premiere league fantasy pool?

Check the first post.

On another note, I'm a little nervous about this season. On one hand I am glad we are milking Man City for everything they got, especially for players who didn't want to be with us in the first place. So about £40m in the pocket for two players who are going to be gone during a significant portion of the season for the ACN and two less distractions in the dressing room.

On the other hand, now we have to replace them. Well at least Kolo. This whole time Arsenal fans were thinking Verm was going to enhance our defense not replace Kolo. Offensively I think we are just fine. I don't care if we replace Ade or not. To be honest I don't think Man City will make the top 4 this season, but give them one more year and unless we pump up the squad significantly it will be interesting times.

Last edited:
Check the first post.

On another note, I'm a little nervous about this season. On one hand I am glad we are milking Man City for everything they got, especially for players who didn't want to be with us in the first place. So about £40m in the pocket for two players who are going to be gone during a significant portion of the season for the ACN and two less distractions in the dressing room.

On the other hand, now we have to replace them. Well at least Kolo. This whole time Arsenal fans were thinking Verm was going to enhance our defense not replace Kolo. Offensively I think we are just fine. I don't care if we replace Ade or not. To be honest I don't think Man City will make the top 4 this season, but give them one more year and unless we pump up the squad significantly it will be interesting times.

I agree, I think we needed to add some talent to our defense.

With Van Persie, Arshavin and Eduardo, we are going to score goals. Fabregas and Rosicky in the midfield will rock. Toure was a strong force in the back, he'll be missed. We needed to beef it up, not lose a key player.

Hopefully Wenger has someone (or two) in mind. Isn't Clichy talking about leaving/left? Or was it he was injured?

Either way, we need quality players in our defense. We should do it now if possible. But I don't want to pull just anyone back there, so if noone is available right now, let's wait for the right one (next transfer window).

Clichy is Arsenal through & through. Plus we have Gibbs as cover on the LB position. Eboue on the other hand looks to be off to Fiorentina which leaves only Traore to cover for Sagna which isn't the wisest given he is a natural LB to begin with.

I don't know who to bring in though.

And bloody, "A hammers fan settles for yet another mediocre mid table season, more at 11".

the man city locker room is going to be the same as the real madrid with nothing but fighting and crying between over paid footballers.

the man city locker room is going to be the same as the real madrid with nothing but fighting and crying between over paid footballers.

Ya, Hughes is trying to buy his way into a championship rather than build up to it.

Who knows, maybe it'll work. Probably not though. :)

Back