[Official] NHL free agency

Nevermind, how about speculation on who Montreal will get with their 10+ mill remaining

shut your mouth and be happy cuz that's all you're going to get. hard to tell if habs got better. they signed tanguay but lost streit.

I would love to see mtl make an offer to filppula. Wings have yet to sign him and chelios and are about 3mil under cap. Might not be too hard to lure him away. I'd offer 2.6 mil.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Hossa

kill me now!

Last edited:
orpik wants 22.5 mil for 6 years from the pens....3.75 mil/yr cap hit. i would take that in an instant

edit: ottawa has offered 4.25 mil/yr for him but he wants to stay in pittsburgh.

shut your mouth and be happy cuz that's all you're going to get. hard to tell if habs got better. they signed tanguay but lost streit.

I would love to see mtl make an offer to filppula. Wings have yet to sign him and chelios and are about 3mil under cap. Might not be too hard to lure him away. I'd offer 2.6 mil.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Hossa

kill me now!

Why break up the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom line? Throw Hossa on the second line and spread out the scoring.

too many teams, not a great UFA market. no guarantee to get someone even if your team has cash to burn.

orpik wants 22.5 mil for 6 years from the pens....3.75 mil/yr cap hit. i would take that in an instant

edit: ottawa has offered 4.25 mil/yr for him but he wants to stay in pittsburgh.

That's not a bad deal at all. I'm mad the Sabres dropped out. It is a bit high for him, but not bad compared to the other money flying around.

6 years is a long contract, but he's only 27 now.

yah...you gotta figure that in a couple years, he will actually be UNDERPAYED compared to other defensemen on the market at 3.75 mil/yr

too many teams, not a great UFA market. no guarantee to get someone even if your team has cash to burn.

That's why it's nice to have a player like Schneider you can use as trade bait, if you really want something and can't get it with UFA's.

the pens will be trying to deal sydor this summer...hopefully they can get a young prospect of a draft pick for him.

edit: sharks put in an offer in on orpik...4 yrs/16 mil that he is serisously considering

Last edited:
i would take demitra and naslund as a pair for sure. i heard they were both looking to go to the same team.

hells ya, naslund, pascal and syd on first and demitra and sykora to play with malkin on the second line.

talbot, stall and ? on third
kennedy and godard and ? on energy

Last edited:
I don't know much about Orpik. What's his game like?

brooks is a shut down D man, he played stay home for gonchar on the top D pairing most of the time. He gets TONS of hits.

2007-08 NOTES:
* Ranked sixth in the League in hits and led the team with 239 and ranks third
in blocked shots (125).
* Had a career high with 11 points (1g, 10a) this season.
* Tied a season-high by dishing out 9 hits Mar. 20 against Tampa Bay (First time-
11/30 vs. DAL).
* He had an even-or-better rating in 14 straight games (Dec. 15- Jan. 14) and in 47
of his last 57 games played.
* Recorded his first two-point game since April 5, 2006 with two assists in New
Jersey on Nov. 5th.
* Recorded a career-high rating of plus-four on Nov. 5 at New Jersey.

sykora will play with malkin....they have great chemistry.

orpik is a very physical player. not a lot of offensive game, but sound defensively

I don't know much about Orpik. What's his game like?

He's a stay at home physical type. You may remember him from the Finals when he went on that nutty hitting spree for one shift. He hit like 5 Wings in the span of about 45 seconds in one of the games in Pitt and the fans went nuts.

I didn't see much of him outside the playoffs though.

i would prefer lines to be naslund-sid-demitra, sykora-malkin-staal

edit: staal needs to be on the second line...he is too talented to be a third line center

brooks is a shut down D man, he played stay home for gonchar on the top D pairing most of the time. He gets TONS of hits.

Interesting. I can see why San Jose might want him, but I don't see how it would really benefit their game. They already play a game that is strong defensively. What they really need is exactly what they lost: A skating defenseman with good breakout and transition ability. The only two that come immediately to mind from Pittsburgh are Gonchar and Letang(I always liked him).

he increased his salary with that shift alone

edit: pens have a superskilled defenseman in their farm system named alex gologoski. they might be letting defensemen go to try to get him into the starting 6 this year

Why break up the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom line? Throw Hossa on the second line and spread out the scoring.

I was mearly entertaining the destructive power of that line up...otherwise you're right

RUMOR: Vancouver signed Sundin. They changed strategies...the offer was $20mil for his wife and a bag of peanuts for him and he signed ! Although I am sure he is highly disappointed at not being able to play with Jeff Finger! :p:

Last edited:
Back