[Official] NHL Offseason/Hotstove Thread

We've got tons of fans screaming for someone like Mike Keenan here in Buffalo. People are absolutely nuts. They think that changing coaches can somehow fix the fact that the roster sucks. We get people here in Buffalo screaming that "Ruff sucks because he's never won a cup!"

We have one good thing in this organization, and people want to fire him and replace him with some tool like Keenan.

Of course, nobody wants to admit that their team needs a 2-3 year rebuilding cycle, so why not hire some tool like Keenan and go for the quick fix.

I'm looking forward to seeing PK Subban play for the habs, if they bring him up from the CHL.

Traverse is going to be another great player to watch when he gets traded to the isles.

Can someone explain to me what Free Agent really means on july 1st?

Can someone explain to me what Free Agent really means on july 1st?

There are two types of free agents: unrestricted and restricted (UFA or RFA).

Unrestricted guys are just that... they can sign anywhere they want on July 1. There are a bunch of rules in the CBA on how to get this, but essentially it is for those vets who have been in the league longer.

Restricted free agents can get an offer sheet from any other team, but the team they play for still gets a chance to match, and if they don't match, they get compensation (draft picks) depending on the value of the contract.

For example a few years back, Edmonton offered Vanek of the Sabres and offer sheet. We had the choice to match the offer, or get 4 1st round picks as compensation. (we signed him).

RFA offer sheets are pretty rare overall, especially with the cap remaining flat like this year.

There are also things like qualifying offers which get into the details of the CBA that makes my head hurt thinking about.

To simplify: UFAs = gone RFAs = staying unless there is an offer sheet

This site has good info on who is coming up for contract:

nhlnumbers.com Home

We've got tons of fans screaming for someone like Mike Keenan here in Buffalo. People are absolutely nuts. They think that changing coaches can somehow fix the fact that the roster sucks. We get people here in Buffalo screaming that "Ruff sucks because he's never won a cup!"

We have one good thing in this organization, and people want to fire him and replace him with some tool like Keenan.

Of course, nobody wants to admit that their team needs a 2-3 year rebuilding cycle, so why not hire some tool like Keenan and go for the quick fix.
imo Ruff is one of the best coaches in the league.

He even signed for league minimum last year. He would be an invaluable asset to help develop any young defenseman.

Burke also said he'll play a role on the 2010 Olympic team... just not as a player.

He even signed for league minimum last year. He would be an invaluable asset to help develop any young defenseman.

Burke also said he'll play a role on the 2010 Olympic team... just not as a player.

He would be invaluable coaching D/behind the bench stuff....On the Ice, he would be a iability for the most part. He was a great player in his time, but his time is over on the ice.

some team may pick him up, but he will see limited ice time...

chelios is a fucking loser good riddance

and the oilers are getting heatley, sorry everyone
Something makes me think you said the same thingn about Hossa last year...

He would be invaluable coaching D/behind the bench stuff....On the Ice, he would be a iability for the most part. He was a great player in his time, but his time is over on the ice.

some team may pick him up, but he will see limited ice time...

Even if he had limited time, he'd still be a wonderful mentor to the younger defensemen. He could be a 7th defenseman but still help the kids out a lot.

Something makes me think you said the same thingn about Hossa last year...

well i didnt think holland could brainwash him out of 81 million dollars, but i was wrong
i don't think hossa makes that same mistake this year
but he wont sign with us

Double M mentioned a rumor he heard about the Pens offering Guerin $4 mil for 2 years. Anyone hear more details about that?

Back