[Dubai][lol]Worlds tallest tower closes

It's possible I was being a little too dry.
I see the neocons sitting in the backyard, chain-smoking, drinking watered beer, discussing the situation:

"Yep, them camelfuckers in some goddamn raghead country. . forget the name. .camelfuckistan ha-ha. .they built theyselfs a tower. . fucking thing is gonna fall over the first time wind hits it. Fuckers used merican know-how and plans plus slaves from other places just to make it. What would be awesome is to see Dale Earnhardt jr. plow his nascar into the bottom of it and knock the fucker over. HOW DO YOU LIKE THE PAYBACK, BITCHES?"
This is how I honestly envision the conversation in the backyard of neocons all over the US, and was MAKING FUN OF THEM. I'm starting to think you don't really read people's posts as much as you skim them while thinking what you're going to type next.

knowing some of the people you're th in king of.. you're pretty much spot on. although most of them aren't NASCAR fans. (the ones i know anyways)

they typically trash something, then say the only reason they could even do it in the first place is because we helped them, they stole our idea, etc.

i typically play along, because its easier than arguing with them. but yeah, its a :lolwut: conversation.

I don't really care whether you trust me, but yes, the 11 years I have spent as an employer, very close to the front line of precisely the issue being debated here, is probably at least 10.9 years more than the combined time spent close to the issue by the journalists you quote.

Once again, I am not saying that the stuff they report doesn't happen, i'm saying it's the exception rather than the norm, and it's embellished. I'm running out of ways to say this in a way that is simple to understand.

I'll be serious for a moment.

You're a lousy piece of shit exploiting helpless foreign workers. You bring in people that can't defend themselves from your corrupt practices enslave them (sure you can say you don't use "slavery" as a legal term to define the practice, but you are enslaving these people), and then force them to work in terrible conditions. I guess the one downside is since they aren't technically your property, there is no incentive for you to protect them from death and dismemberment.

You ask us to assume that everyone else in the world decided to get together and conspire to pretend that some little city-state is enslaving brown people, but then we find out that while making all these claims about "journos" YOU ARE ON THE PAYROLL OF THE COMPANIES ENSLAVING THESE PEOPLE.

Talk about incentive to lie and make up stories about conspiracies.

Everyone is amused by your rabid defense of the tower and other unimportant things, but now we all know you are a complete sack of shit with no regard for human rights or basic human dignity. The worst part is that you act all righteous while defending your actions.

So there is a serious post. Waste your time on it. If I ever met you, I'd beat the shit out of you on behalf of your "workers".

This reporter knows nothing about Dubai and has just stepped off a plane. He needs to find some senational stories to justify his salry, cost of flights and hotels, bar bills etc.

The "direct quotes", whilst they may not be complete fabrication, are undoubtedly embellished, not least because those he spoke to would not have been able to speak a great deal of English.

There's a difference between being just off a plane and knowing nothing about Dubai. It's also not a necessity to know Dubai completely to be able to get information about Dubai. This is a reporter's job. In essence, if you dismiss a reporter's account of his or her time in Dubai because she hasn't been there for a year or 10 years or whatever amount of time makes him or her sufficiently versed in the topic in your mind, then there really is no point to reading any news in your world, as it is incredibly seldom that a reporter will be well versed in their subject matter. Which is exactly why they get quotes and talk to people. This reporter even sought out and found people who were very positive toward Dubai.

There are a small minority of workers in Dubai that have been abused and treated like shit. If this journo worked hard enough to find them his quotes might be reasonably real, in context if not in specific detail. Or more likely he just copy / pasted bits from 20 other equally ridiculous articles and stayed in his hotel bar, since 99% of his readershiop wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

The vast majority of expats in Dubai are there because they have a better lifestyle than they would in their home country. We are all free to go home anytime we choose. This applies equally to me, my maid, the guy who just delivered a very nice curry to my house, and most of the guys who built the worlds tallest tower.

Cliffs:

Journalists are lazy alcoholics with great expense accounts and gullible readers.

And here, I'm forced to wonder, how much can you possibly know? You say it's a small minority, but I doubt you're in a position to know that. The point of being duplicitous is keeping your duplicity a secret. If they're doing it right, and you're a moral and upstanding citizen and employer, you probably wouldn't know. It's easy to shoot the messenger and dismiss the journalists, they're saying bad things about a place you enjoy. I just feel like, if I were you, I'd have more of a stance I offered in my post earlier, that Dubai has grown outrageously fast and that there are bad people who are taking advantage of it, and that I couldn't know how much or how often, but I can only hope that the good will win the battle over time. It seems like the only reasonable position anyone could have on Dubai. But I spoke of Ostrich-ing because of your unwillingness to understand that where there's smoke there's often fire, and there's way too much out there about these abuses and atrocities to really cordon them off to being an insignificant minority and a gross mischaracterization of what is going on. The truth, as always, lies in the middle.

I'll be serious for a moment.

Lol What the fuck. Post started well and went quickly downhill. A Trolltastic level of ignorance. OK Twatos, now i'm really curious, where are you from? How many countries have you visited outside your own? You probably won't answer those questions.

Also - "I'll be serious for a moment". When?

OH GOD I AM SO FUCKING JEALOUS OF MITCH IN DUBAI RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR

I didn't read the thread.

Back to my lavish, consumerist American lifestyle.

There's a difference between being just off a plane and knowing nothing about Dubai. It's also not a necessity to know Dubai completely to be able to get information about Dubai. This is a reporter's job. In essence, if you dismiss a reporter's account of his or her time in Dubai because she hasn't been there for a year or 10 years or whatever amount of time makes him or her sufficiently versed in the topic in your mind, then there really is no point to reading any news in your world, as it is incredibly seldom that a reporter will be well versed in their subject matter. Which is exactly why they get quotes and talk to people. This reporter even sought out and found people who were very positive toward Dubai.

And here, I'm forced to wonder, how much can you possibly know? You say it's a small minority, but I doubt you're in a position to know that. The point of being duplicitous is keeping your duplicity a secret. If they're doing it right, and you're a moral and upstanding citizen and employer, you probably wouldn't know. It's easy to shoot the messenger and dismiss the journalists, they're saying bad things about a place you enjoy. I just feel like, if I were you, I'd have more of a stance I offered in my post earlier, that Dubai has grown outrageously fast and that there are bad people who are taking advantage of it, and that I couldn't know how much or how often, but I can only hope that the good will win the battle over time. It seems like the only reasonable position anyone could have on Dubai. But I spoke of Ostrich-ing because of your unwillingness to understand that where there's smoke there's often fire, and there's way too much out there about these abuses and atrocities to really cordon them off to being an insignificant minority and a gross mischaracterization of what is going on. The truth, as always, lies in the middle.

Absolutely fair and very well said. And yes I am a moral upstanding citizen and employer, both in relation to the people I employ through my company and those I employ personally (both of them). And yes there's no smoke without fire, I think I have acknowledged that. The only point of your post I disagree with is that you doubt i'm in a position to know. I genuinely am, although I don't know how I can prove that to you. I have seen the best and the worst Dubai has to offer to its expat population. The picture presented by the global media represents a tiny minority, way less than 1% I would say.

Let me give you one simple illustrative example. 8 years ago I went to Sri Lanka recrutiing some guys to work in the warehouse. 200 people turned up for interview, I selected 12. They come to Dubai, live in one of the camps, and get 1000 Dirhams a month ($272) plus overtime. They have all been home on vacation every year for 30 days, ticket paid for by company, at any point of time they can resign, move to a different company, or just stay home in Sri Lanka.

After 8 years, 9 of the 12 are still in the company. The other 3 may be working for other companies or may have gone home for a variety of reasons, I don't know. Most of the 9 still here have developed themselves whilst supporting extended families at home. One guy is a Warehouse Supervisor so he now gets around $2000 a month. That's a shitload of money in Sri Lanka, believe me. They are all deeply respectful of the opportunity that my company has given them to elevate the status of themselves and their families back home beyond anything they could have dreamt of. And for me coming from England, I get a sense of pride from that which I could never hope to attain running a warehouse in England. So there you have it, flame on.

:lol:

You mean I haven't posted anything you can refute.
:no: No, Mitch means you haven't posted anything worth responding too (repeated for emphasis). U or Jim Beam are the biggest flag waving idiots here.

OH GOD I AM SO FUCKING JEALOUS OF MITCH IN DUBAI RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR

I didn't read the thread.

Back to my lavish, consumerist American lifestyle.

Not so lavish (ranked #13 ouch!), but definitely consumptive (ranked #1 for obesity).

Fun Fact: In Dubai, it is customary for a wife to kick her husband in the balls 7 times when he gets home from work on the third thursday of every month.

Back