[Holy Shit]New game: Shattered Horizon

I just would like reiterate my deep love for this game

2 weeks in and it's still not stale at all

I keep seeing players doing new shit and i keep learning new shit

def gonna stick with this a while

Also, patching coming:
Default Patch 1.0.2.3
An update patch for Shattered Horizon will soon be made available. The game will update automatically once the patch is released.

PATCH NOTES - Shattered Horizon 1.0.2.3
-----------------------------------------

NEW CONTROL OPTIONS

* Each grenade type can now be assigned to a separate quick-select key.
* "Roll left" and "Roll right" can now be assigned to individual keys. You can adjust the roll speed when rolling with keys. While you are rolling with keys the mouse is completely free to aim.
* Both the mouse and the individual keys can be used to roll in-game, you don't have to choose between them so are free to use different roll methods depending on which you prefer for each situation.
* Help screens and FPS-counter controls can now be bound to different keys in the controls menu.
* Added mouse wheel support to controls.

GAME CHANGES

* The color of the EMP lightning effect on players has been changed from blue to white. This change is to reduce confusion when MCC (yellow) players are EMPed. The EMP particle effect however is still blue and will be changed in a future update.
* When typing a message using in-game chat, a history of all in-game chat messages will appear. The text will disappear automatically after a short time.

BUG FIXES

* Firing the weapon in silent running mode now plays the correct muffled audio.
* Fixed a rare bug that caused rendering to freeze while the game continued running.
* Fixed an occasional issue that resulted in a player spawning into a level with too much speed.
* Fixed an issue with shadows initializing incorrectly, which could cause aliased sharp edges.
* Fixed a bug with in-game chat where lines of text could appear on top of each other.
* Fixed a bug that allowed in-game chat to be used while in silent running mode.
Some nice fixes. I'm looking forward to the roll keys.

Thinking my new control config will be 1-3 for the grenades, q and e to roll left and right, and rmb for firing grenades

Glad they're tweaking the EMP effect, that shit can be confusing in the lesser-lit map areas

I like the game, it runs great and looks great.

I wish there were more than 30 people at a time playing it.

I suck so bad at it that I don't know if I'll be able to continue playing it though. Is there some sort of scripting support that players are using to gain an advantage?

Every map on a pub turns into a cluster.

I suck so bad at it that I don't know if I'll be able to continue playing it though. Is there some sort of scripting support that players are using to gain an advantage?

i think once you master movement/orientation along with weapons and map layout, you really gain an immense advantage. if the game had a chance to mature, i think it would be pretty awesome.

i think once you master movement/orientation along with weapons and map layout, you really gain an immense advantage. if the game had a chance to mature, i think it would be pretty awesome.

I agree, when I first started I would try to orient myself horizontally before I did stuff. Now I'll be upside down shooting people moving backwards without a problem.

What I've noticed some of the upper level players doing is using their MPR grenades to send themselves flying

Most of them are good enough to pretty precisely control the direction they go, it's a ridiculously good tactic to get across the map/out of tight spots

basically you shoot a zero-charge MPR off of a surface like 5 feet away from you so that it bounces back close to you, i haven't been able to pull it off consistently yet

oh, one of the things i do is, when i'm being shot at, and i need to reload, if i'm close enough to something i'll hit F and boost to it while i reload. you can't do regular C boost while you're reloading. I find it's a good tactic to avoid a few shots.

The Battle and Assault gamemodes are not my favorite. The Battle mode is ok depending on map and depends on the number of players. The Assault is biased towards defense and experience with the map. 32 player games tend to be cluster fucks in these game modes because they funnel all the action onto a specific point of the map. Your team will lose when ever A) your team is full of players who don't care or don't know what they are doing, B) your team is the attacking team.

It's too easy to "stack" the game and turn it into a rout with objective based gameplay.

TDM (Skirmish) is better, especially with larger number of players because you can be responsible for your own and whether or not you have any success at the goal of the game is not dependent on the spontaneous coordination and teamwork of others.

------------------------------

I don't know about scripting or cheating, but I have to admit that the "jaded gamer" side of me would like to think that some players perform "oddly" well each time the get the better of me. However, the more rational side thinks there are just a lot of "WTF" moments that are generated from luck, lag and just plain coincidental circumstance. Certainly there are moments where Ping and plain random luck biased the outcome.

My advice:

"Someone always has the upper hand, make sure it's you!"
- This is true in SH more then anything. You can't get an advantage in Firepower, Speed or Hitpoints like other games... here in SH everyone is the same. So the advantage is a positional one and a tactical one. Take the opposition by surprise whenever possible. If the enemy knows you are there, find another way or neutralize that advantage. Otherwise, in an equalized fight... random luck and lag often play a big part of the outcome. Don't rely on your ability to just outgun your opponent.

Be in cover, or moving from cover to cover. Try and minimize the amount of time you are out in the open. Use cover to watch your back and try can keep as many pieces of cover between you and the enemy as much as possible. Limit the opportunities the enemy has to take a shot at you. You have a jet pack, but you are not The Last Starfighter... don't be those guys I play Duck Hunt with who go flying around. Use your boots and dock to cover when possible (Don't be the Duck!).

Listen. Listen for Jet pack thrusters, it will warn you of the approach of other players. Check your radar... no teammates nearby? watch for thruster glow.

The Glow of the Jet pack thrusters light you up and give you away. I see a lot of players holding the thruster down and go flying a long lit up like torches. Tap the key, blink the thruster and then coast quietly. Be careful near solid objects, you light up the local objects near you and I often detect "hidden" players behind cover because their thrusters forewarn of their approach and their presence. Also, don't land on me or over fly me when I'm docked on the ground... they don't know I'm here... don't light me up and point me out to the enemy.

"School of Fish" - Shit happens. You can't watch every direction at all times and no matter which way you go, you always have to turn your back towards a direction the enemy might come from. Stick with your friends. In the event you get "surprised" and jacked up, your friends often bail you out or quickly avenge you... and next time you'll be the avenging one. Most players can't kill more then 1 player at a time with 60 rounds, nor can they do it faster they you and a buddy can kill him with twice the firepower.

Fire the assault rifle in rapid, but very short bursts. It's an accurate weapon at long range, but full automatic fire will ensure you hit nothing even at moderate range.

Aim for the "Faceplate" in the helmet (front) or the 2 cylinders in the jetpack (back) for an instant kill. Aim for the critical spots. Finish engagments quickly and without having to reload.

The Scope is accurate... but the wobble takes some getting used to. It will fire 10 rounds "on the money". It takes 2 volley's, even 3 sometimes unless you get a critical. Also... again, if the enemy knows you are there, the Assault Rifle mode can outgun you, even at long range so take your shots and make them count and don't let the enemy retaliate.

The Grenade Launcher can fire long range shots. "Charge" the shot by holding the grenade key down for a moment, then let loose. The projectile goes a lot further.

Don't forget, if you are expecting an assault by the enemy, and hear the "beeping" grenades incoming... quickly power down for a moment (HOME key). Powering Down makes you immune to EMP, once the grenade hits, Power Up and surprise enemies who'll follow it thinking you are disabled.

MPR's inflict very little damage. You can "boost" yourself by concusing yourself propelling yourself across great distances. You can combo an EMP first, then knock the enemy out from behind cover with an MPR.

ICE is your friend. Keep it ready to get yourself out of bad situations. Cover your escape, create distractions and create confusion with it. Be careful though! The faint glow of thrusters can often still be seen.

Hm. That's a good idea.

When I'm playing defend & destroy I tend to use MPRs to blow guys off the control points rather than an EMP. I don't care about killing them, I just want to keep the ctrl point.

I'd just like to make one point, since most of that is all well and good:

Battle does NOT force players to fight over one point at a time, any point can be captured at anytime regardless of its position in sequence with other capture points.

Both teams mauling themselves over the middle on Moondust? Ninja cap a couple of the side points. At the very least it'll pull some of their players towards these points and open up the way for the rest of your team.

Assualt has to be capped in sequence. One team starts owning all the points and one team attempts to capture them all before time runs out. This mode sucks most of all and is heavily biased towards defense and most games, with otherwise evenly matched teams ends in a draw.

Battle is more like Capture and Hold, each team starts with the points evenly divided between them. This mode is better then Assault because it keeps both teams on Offense and Defense equally. Though if your an offensive player... expect your stats to get slaughtered as you are always putting your ass in the line of fire and at the mercy of lady luck that you can survive the torrents of spam to earn points for capping.

Last edited:
Back