Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

I have to agree, having so many characters capable of mass destruction isn't interesting... I feel like everyone is a mage or god-possessed and can't do anything under their own power.

Starting the first book in the wheel of time series next, it's been sitting around since christmas

edit: in regards to the malazan series

Last edited:
I just recently read George R.R. Martins ASOI&F series and am anxiously waiting for a dance with dragons. The HBO series coming in April is also something i'm really looking forward too. I just wish his fat ass would hurry up and finish the next book already.

I just recently read George R.R. Martins ASOI&F series and am anxiously waiting for a dance with dragons. The HBO series coming in April is also something i'm really looking forward too. I just wish his fat ass would hurry up and finish the next book already.

Are you fucking kidding me? I've been waiting for DwD for 5 FUCKING YEARS. Martin's gonna be the next Robert Jordan, mark my words. The guys works on it like 1 month out of the year (seriously, read his blog).

15 years. 4 books. This guys is a fucking snail (yeah I'm a little pissed).

Last edited:
Ok seriously, am I the only one having fits waiting for Rothfuss' new book?

nah, i'm re-reading Name of the Wind atm in preparation

;] it really is pretty damn good considering how generic the basic premise is

Are you fucking kidding me? I've been waiting for DwD for 5 FUCKING YEARS. Martin's gonna be the next Robert Jordan, mark my words. The guys works on it like 1 month out of the year (seriously, read his blog).

15 years. 4 books. This guys is a fucking snail (yeah I'm a little pissed).

QFT. If he dies, there are going to be so many pissed off readers. Apparently the big problem is that he doesn't know how it's going to end =/

In other news, has anyone read the Chronicles of the Black Company?

I just finished the first book, and while it was fun and interesting, it wasn't necessarily "great." Wondering if I should read the rest or not.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins is a fun quick sci-fi read.

for like 15 year olds. My girlfriend read this because all her 5th graders were reading it. are you going to suggest Pretty Little Liars next?

Nothing wrong with reading "kids" books every once and awhile. Last year I read The Thief of Always, Clive Barkers children's book, just for kicks.

QFT. If he dies, there are going to be so many pissed off readers. Apparently the big problem is that he doesn't know how it's going to end =/

I just finished the first book, and while it was fun and interesting, it wasn't necessarily "great." Wondering if I should read the rest or not.

YES. If you havent finished out the Black Company series, do it. Love those books, Croaker is the man.

Jordan's got nothing on Martin. The man's still releasing books, and he's DEAD! Martin's last 'update' on ASOI&F was January 1, 2008 where he basically said "I'm stuck, I'll tell you more when I'm done", and then toddled off to write sci-fi stuff.

I saw Martin on his signing tour for "Feast for Crows", and he said at the time that "Dance with Dragons" would be out very shortly, since the book is made up almost entirely of chapters he pulled from "Feast for Crows" to bring the pagecount down... how's that working out for ya, Martin?! :mad:

I've got the first book on my shelf, should be starting it soon. I've heard good things here on TW, so we'll see

I just finished the first book too and I'm pretty much at the same point. I liked how he didn't spell everything out but at the same time he didn't really explain things enough either. I'm hoping the next two books have a little bit more history in them so you can put things in context better.

ive read the entire Black Company series and outside the first 5 books it goes to shit

his Chronicles of the Dead Empire was fucking awesome

For you Dresden fans, the first 5 chapters of Ghost Story are going to be released over the next few weeks.

On March 1st, Penguin will release chapters 1-3.
On March 8th and 15th, jim-butcher.com will release 4 & 5 respectively.

Finishing current book, will be starting it tonight. I'm going to light some candles, put on some Barry White, cook up a couple of steaks... you know. Make it special.

Barry White has too much singing for it to be good reading music

Can I recommend a nice light jazz? Perhaps some spanish guitar?

Back